Re: [Altair Computer Club] Dazzler Software?

  • D. Hugh Redelmeier
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 12, 2009
      | From: Derek J. Lassen <xl198CV56@...>

      | IIRC, the hex file format had no transfer address, and assumed x'0000'. Many
      | programmers put constants and jump tables at the beginning. So, we usually coded :
      | ORG 0
      | JMP Entry
      | Entry EQU *
      |
      | as the first three lines.

      Interesting. Those low addresses are used for the interrupt jump
      vector but I guess most programs never used interrupts.

      I used the interrupt instructions for very short subroutine calls (1 byte
      instead of 3). This also made it possible to "revector" to a different
      implementation: the low memory was in RAM but my code was in a
      ByteSaver EPROM.
    • john_crane_59
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 13, 2009
        Yes, I remember TINY BASIC used the RST method, too. Back when
        every byte was expensive, you saved space where you could. Most
        later software was ORG-ed @ 0100h to provide some standardization.
        That's what CP/M used too.

        While relaxing and watching my Dazzler run kalideoscope, I was
        considering what new project to tackle... then I got one.

        I heard a *click* and the front panel went dark. Doomsday had come!
        I immediately pulled the plug and started sniffing. No smoke. At
        first it seemed the rectifier blew. 8.5 VAC going in and zip coming
        out. Then I noticed a very tiny spark on the printed trace on one
        of the 8.5 VAC inputs to the rectifier. Turns out there was a micro
        crack right across a trace. My guess is that thermal/mechanical
        stress over the years did it. Possibly the rectifier module isn't
        properly mounted - if it's too high or too low it might cause stress
        on the PCB when it's bolted to that bottom metal frame member /
        humongous heatsink. The PCB is bolted at 4 other points, so any
        difference in height would cause some bending of the PCB.

        -John

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "D. Hugh Redelmeier"
        <hugh@...> wrote:

        > | From: Derek J. Lassen <xl198CV56@...>
        >
        > | IIRC, the hex file format had no transfer address, and assumed
        x'0000'. Many
        > | programmers put constants and jump tables at the beginning. So,
        we usually coded :
        > | ORG 0
        > | JMP Entry
        > | Entry EQU *
        > |
        > | as the first three lines.
        >
        > Interesting. Those low addresses are used for the interrupt jump
        > vector but I guess most programs never used interrupts.
        >
        > I used the interrupt instructions for very short subroutine calls
        (1 byte
        > instead of 3). This also made it possible to "revector" to a
        different
        > implementation: the low memory was in RAM but my code was in a
        > ByteSaver EPROM.

      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 14, 2009

          Geoff wrote:
          I have copies of the manuals for some of the Dazzler programs: Life,
          Dazzlemation, Kaleidoscope, Dazzlewriter, Dazzle-Writer 512, and Tic
          Tac Toe.  If you can't find them elsewhere online, I could probably
          scan at least some of them.  They include program listings and a
          simple tape loader program.
          Geoff,

          Could you scan the listing for Life ?
          I don't see it on that bitsavers website.

          thanks,
          =Dan

        • oghull
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 14, 2009
            > Could you scan the listing for Life ?
            > I don't see it on that bitsavers website.

            Sure, but I may not be able to get to it before the weekend. I'll
            post something when it's ready.

            Geoff.
          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 14, 2009

              Geoff wrote:
              Could you scan the listing for Life ?
              I don't see it on that bitsavers website.

              Sure, but I may not be able to get to it before the weekend.  I'll
              post something when it's ready.

              thanks !

              =Dan

            • oghull
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 15, 2009
                > Could you scan the listing for Life ?

                Done -- www.solivant.com/s-100/cromemco_life.pdf

                Let me know if you have any problems reading it.

                Geoff.