Re: [Altair Computer Club] Re: Altair Documentation Binders

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 6, 2009

      Steve wrote:

      Mardy-

      The blue on white "Altair Age" binder
      ( http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/altair/h/mits1.jpg ) was used for all early Altair manuals, until about the time that the 8800b was introduced, when MITS switched to classier looking blue binders with white and black lettering.

      The "Altair Age' binder is what came with my Altair 680 kit back then.

      =Dan
      [ Happy New Year --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/   ]

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 6, 2009
        Well, that picture would seem to prove me wrong. Even if the photo
        misrepresents what was really delivered to customers, it certainly
        shows that those "Altair Systems" binders existed at the very
        beginning. I can only go by my experience as a MITS employee, and I
        did see 8800 and 8800a models delivered with the other kind of
        binder, so maybe they existed in parallel (I wasn't at MITS until
        after the 8800a was introduced). There's no doubt, though, that
        the "systems" binder is much more scarce than the other, and it was
        used for the WACC handouts.

        Steve
        ===============================

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Marden P. Marshall"
        <mardy@...> wrote:

        > Steve,
        >
        > Thank you for the detailed accounting. I suspected that
        the "Altair
        > Age" binder was the original one, since that is what you see the
        most
        > of, although usually not in very good shape these days. What made
        me
        > start to question this though is that you see the "Altair Systems"
        > style manual used in one of the 8800 kit add photos
        > (Altair_Kits.jpg). I personally like the looks of the "Altair
        Age"

        http://www.virtualaltair.com/virtualaltair.com/vac_library.asp .
        > > ICOM Microperipherals eventually came under MITS'/Pertec's roof,
        and
        > > Tom's site has an image of a typical iCOM binder too.
        > >
        > > The other blue on white binder that you referenced,
        labeled "Altair
        > > System",
        > > ( http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/altair/h/mits2.jpg ) was
        used,
        > > as far as I know, only for special packages of information given
        out
        > > at some of the seminars at the World Altair Computer Convention
        > > (WACC). They contained general information, talking points,
        theory
        > > of operation, and bits of architecture of the original 8800 and
        RAM
        > > board. These may also have been mailed out to potential customers
        at
        > > one time. They're relatively rare.
        > >
        > > After Pertec acquired MITS, they began to distribute some
        > > information in "PCC" blue on white binders. The hard disk
        systems
        > > and a few other items were also distributed in black on blue PCC
        > > binders. Sorry, I can't find any handy examples.
        > >
        > > Besides the above, the ASDC/Peachtree business software manuals
        were
        > > different, usually saying "Altair Software" or "ASDC Software"
        in
        > > white on blue vinyl. There were a couple of variations. Here's
        one
        > > example:
        > > http://www.digibarn.com/collections/articles/altairs-notes/
        > > index.html . Note that this example at Digibarn was found
        > > containing reprints of MITS "Computer Notes" articles. Those are
        not
        > > the contents that were originally contained in this kind of
        binder.

        > > Steve
        > >
        > > =====================================
        > >

        > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "mardy_marshall"
        > > <mardy@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > MITS appeared to have releases two different styles of
        > > documentation binders, seen here at
        > > > Dave Dunfield's site:
        > > >
        > > > http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/altair/h/mits1.jpg
        > > >
        > > > http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/altair/h/mits2.jpg
        > > >
        > > > Does anyone recall which one came first?
        > > >
        > > > -Mardy

      • Marden P. Marshall
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 6, 2009
          For what it's worth, the 8800 kit that I have, which was purchased in December of '75, came with the "Altair Age" style binder.

          The reason that I am "obsessing" over this is that I am working on an "Altair Age" binder reproduction.  Assuming that everything goes well with the manufacturer, in a few weeks, I will have a very nice reproduction of the original 3-ring binder, silk screened with the same cover and spine graphics as the original.  If there is sufficient interest, I might think come out with as "Altair Systems" version as well.

          -Mardy