[Altair Computer Club] Re: Altair Documentation Binders

  • Marden P. Marshall
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 6, 2009
      Steve,

      Thank you for the detailed accounting.  I suspected that the "Altair Age" binder was the original one, since that is what you see the most of, although usually not in very good shape these days.  What made me start to question this though is that you see the "Altair Systems" style manual used in one of the 8800 kit add photos (Altair_Kits.jpg).  I personally like the looks of the "Altair Age" binder the best.

      -Mardy

      On Jan 6, 2009, at 12:52 AM, Steve wrote:

      Mardy-

      The blue on white "Altair Age" binder
      ( http://www.classicc mp.org/dunfield/ altair/h/ mits1.jpg ) was used for all early Altair manuals, until about the time that the 8800b was introduced, when MITS switched to classier looking blue binders with white and black lettering. You can see an example at Tom Sanderson's Virtual Altair site at
      http://www.virtuala ltair.com/ virtualaltair. com/vac_library. asp .  ICOM Microperipherals eventually came under MITS'/Pertec' s roof, and Tom's site has an image of a typical iCOM binder too.

      The other blue on white binder that you referenced, labeled "Altair System",
      (  http://www.classicc mp.org/dunfield/ altair/h/ mits2.jpg ) was used, as far as I know, only for special packages of information given out at some of the seminars at the World Altair Computer Convention (WACC). They contained general information, talking points, theory of operation, and bits of architecture of the original 8800 and RAM board. These may also have been mailed out to potential customers at one time.  They're relatively rare.

      After Pertec acquired MITS, they began to distribute some information in "PCC" blue on white binders. The hard disk systems and a few other items were also distributed in black on blue PCC binders. Sorry, I can't find any handy examples.

      Besides the above, the ASDC/Peachtree business software manuals were different, usually saying "Altair Software" or "ASDC Software" in white on blue vinyl. There were a couple of variations. Here's one example:
      http://www.digibarn .com/collections /articles/ altairs-notes/ index.html .  Note that this example at Digibarn was found containing reprints of MITS "Computer Notes" articles. Those are not the contents that were originally contained in this kind of binder.

      Steve

      ============ ========= ========= =======

      --- In altaircomputerclub@ yahoogroups. com, "mardy_marshall" <mardy@...> wrote:

      > MITS appeared to have releases two different styles of documentation binders, seen here at
      > Dave Dunfield's site:
      >
      > http://www.classicc mp.org/dunfield/ altair/h/ mits1.jpg
      >
      > http://www.classicc mp.org/dunfield/ altair/h/ mits2.jpg
      >
      > Does anyone recall which one came first?
      >
      > -Mardy

    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 6, 2009

        Steve wrote:

        Mardy-

        The blue on white "Altair Age" binder
        ( http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/altair/h/mits1.jpg ) was used for all early Altair manuals, until about the time that the 8800b was introduced, when MITS switched to classier looking blue binders with white and black lettering.

        The "Altair Age' binder is what came with my Altair 680 kit back then.

        =Dan
        [ Happy New Year --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/   ]

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 6, 2009
          Well, that picture would seem to prove me wrong. Even if the photo
          misrepresents what was really delivered to customers, it certainly
          shows that those "Altair Systems" binders existed at the very
          beginning. I can only go by my experience as a MITS employee, and I
          did see 8800 and 8800a models delivered with the other kind of
          binder, so maybe they existed in parallel (I wasn't at MITS until
          after the 8800a was introduced). There's no doubt, though, that
          the "systems" binder is much more scarce than the other, and it was
          used for the WACC handouts.

          Steve
          ===============================

          --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Marden P. Marshall"
          <mardy@...> wrote:

> [...]
          one
          > > example:
          > > http://www.digibarn.com/collections/articles/altairs-notes/
          > > index.html . Note that this example at Digibarn was found
          > > containing reprints of MITS "Computer Notes" articles. Those are
          not
          > > the contents that were originally contained in this kind of
          binder.

          > > Steve
          > >
          > > =====================================
          > >

          > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "mardy_marshall"
          > > <mardy@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > MITS appeared to have releases two different styles of
          > > documentation binders, seen here at
          > > > Dave Dunfield's site:
          > > >
          > > > http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/altair/h/mits1.jpg
          > > >
          > > > http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/altair/h/mits2.jpg
          > > >
          > > > Does anyone recall which one came first?

        • Marden P. Marshall
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 6, 2009
            For what it's worth, the 8800 kit that I have, which was purchased in December of '75, came with the "Altair Age" style binder.

            The reason that I am "obsessing" over this is that I am working on an "Altair Age" binder reproduction.  Assuming that everything goes well with the manufacturer, in a few weeks, I will have a very nice reproduction of the original 3-ring binder, silk screened with the same cover and spine graphics as the original.  If there is sufficient interest, I might think come out with as "Altair Systems" version as well.

            -Mardy