Re: [Altair Computer Club] Dazzler Software?

  • Andrew Kessel
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 2, 2009
      Are those .ptp files standard binary files, that one can upload through a serial connection?

      On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 11:35 AM, John Crane <john_crane_59@...> wrote:

      Thanks Tom!

      -John

      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 2, 2009
        Andrew,

        Actually I haven't looked at them yet.  I've got a hardware problem in my Dazzler and I'm waiting on some incoming parts.  But it's my understanding that paper tapes were for ASCII-only teletypes.  That means 7 data bits plus a parity bit, not 8 data bits.  You raise a good question - what loader program to use ?

        -John

        Are those .ptp files standard binary files, that one can upload through a serial connection?

        On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 11:35 AM, John Crane <john_crane_59@ yahoo.com> wrote:
        Thanks Tom!

        -John

        --
        Andrew Kessel

      • oghull
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 2, 2009
          --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Kessel"
          <akessel56@...> wrote:

          > Are those .ptp files standard binary files, that one can upload
          through a
          > serial connection?

          I have copies of the manuals for some of the Dazzler programs: Life,
          Dazzlemation, Kaleidoscope, Dazzlewriter, Dazzle-Writer 512, and Tic
          Tac Toe. If you can't find them elsewhere online, I could probably
          scan at least some of them. They include program listings and a
          simple tape loader program.

          Looking at the tape loader, the tapes appear to be simple 8 bit binary
          memory dumps starting at address 0.

          Geoff Harrison.
        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 2, 2009

            <akessel56@...> wrote:

            Are those .ptp files standard binary files, that one can upload

            through a

            serial connection?

            I have copies of the manuals for some of the Dazzler programs: Life,
            Dazzlemation, Kaleidoscope, Dazzlewriter, Dazzle-Writer 512, and Tic
            Tac Toe.  If you can't find them elsewhere online, I could probably
            scan at least some of them.  They include program listings and a
            simple tape loader program.

            Looking at the tape loader, the tapes appear to be simple 8 bit binary
            memory dumps starting at address 0.

            The *ptp files are only hex files with the header padded with 0x00's in the beginning. You can compare this by looking at the code in the manuals, try looking at the Spacewar code. If you use a Hex Editor you can see that it's padded with header bytes in the papertape images, the amount varies depending on the image, but it's always 0x00's. You can edit this and remove the padded bytes and save them as hex files and load them with your monitor.

            I noticed that some of the programs from the manual are not on bitsavers. I use a freeware OCR to extract the assembly code and assemble them again, or just the object code if that's in the manual. There's a couple of  good ones available.I converted the assembly code for Altair Basic and Imsai Basic this way--it let's me patch the code to support different serial port cards.  You first want to extract the pages with the code that you want to OCR, I just use primopdf to print only these pages into a different pdf file.
            http://www.ocrterminal.com/
            http://www.omniformat.com/download.html
            http://www.primopdf.com/

            The Daazler manuals are already online at several websites.
            http://maben.homeip.net/static/S100/cromemco/software/games/index.html
            http://www.hartetechnologies.com/manuals/Cromemco/
            http://bitsavers.vt100.net/pdf/cromemco/

            =Dan
            --
            [ Happy New Year --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/   ]

          • John Crane
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 2, 2009
              Looking at Kaleidoscope and ignoring initial nulls, I see:

              31 00 01 3E 81 ....

              And those do not translate to hex characters.  They are:

              1 null soh > [out of range for ascii]

              However, in 8080 assembly they are:

              LXI  SP, 100h
              MVI  A, 81h

              Which looks like a typical way to start an 8080 program, by setting the stack pointer and getting some data into the accumulator.

              So, it looks like they are binary images, not papertapes.  I can zap them straight in and not have to worry about special loaders.

              I remember all the weirdness with the SWTPC 6800 MIKBUG monitor that used a special Motorola format with hex characters, all to overcome the 7 bit limitation of the ASR-33s of the day.  That one missing bit made loading everything twice as long as it should have been!

              -J

              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 2, 2009
                --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, John Crane
                <john_crane_59@...> wrote:

                > So, it looks like they are binary images, not papertapes.
                > I can zap them straight in and not have to worry about special loaders.

                The Dazzler paper tapes I have are just binary images. There's no
                leadin/leadout bytes, no encoding, no checksum, nothing. I don't know
                why the .ptp files have nulls, but my pape tapes don't have them. The
                Cromemco loader just sets HL to 0 (or 0x5000 for dazzlewriter), reads
                a byte from the input port, writes it to memory, increments HL and
                loops. It looks like you can do the same thing with the .ptp files
                after you strip the leading nulls.

                Geoff Harrison.
              • Andrew Kessel
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 3, 2009
                  I use the mbl boot loader usually for binary. Though its been a while.

                  I have a dazler, just never used it, so was curious.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 11, 2009
                    <john_crane_59@...> wrote:

                    > Looking at Kaleidoscope and ignoring initial nulls, I see:
                    >
                    > 31 00 01 3E 81 ....

                    Well, the Dazzler is up and running!

                    Kalideoscope is pretty amazing for 70's tech.

                    I haven't managed to get Life to work though - just get one blue
                    cell. I have the manual, but still no joy. It's communicating with
                    the console on the standard port 01, no problem there. I trimmed
                    the NULLS from the papertape images, but left a string terminating
                    NULL, then tried leaving the BELLs (07h) chars at the end (an
                    annunciator telling the TTY user the tape has loaded?)

                    I did find something unusual. Although I did not disassemble it, I
                    noticed the first three bytes was a jump command the very next
                    instruction. Maybe there's a reason for this somewhere in the code.

                    -John
                  • Rich Whiteman
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 11, 2009
                      31 00 01 loads the stack pointer with what needs to be an area of ram
                      to use for calls, returns, pushes and pops. It works from the loaded
                      area downward. It is not a jump.

                      Rich

                      LXI SP,word LD SP,word 31word SP <- word

                      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "john_crane_59"
                      <john_crane_59@...> wrote:

                      > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, John Crane
                      > <john_crane_59@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Looking at Kaleidoscope and ignoring initial nulls, I see:
                      > >
                      > > 31 00 01 3E 81 ....
                      > >

                      > Well, the Dazzler is up and running!
                      >
                      > Kalideoscope is pretty amazing for 70's tech.
                      >
                      > I haven't managed to get Life to work though - just get one blue
                      > cell. I have the manual, but still no joy. It's communicating with
                      > the console on the standard port 01, no problem there. I trimmed
                      > the NULLS from the papertape images, but left a string terminating
                      > NULL, then tried leaving the BELLs (07h) chars at the end (an
                      > annunciator telling the TTY user the tape has loaded?)
                      >
                      > I did find something unusual. Although I did not disassemble it, I
                      > noticed the first three bytes was a jump command the very next
                      > instruction. Maybe there's a reason for this somewhere in the code.
                      >
                      > -John

                    • john_crane_59
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 11, 2009
                        Rich,

                        You are correct for Kalideoscope, that was my initial post. I guess I
                        wasn't too clear in my second post. I was talking about the
                        game "Life". The fist five bytes are:

                        C3 03 00 31 00

                        And, assuming the programs runs from 0000, it should immediatly jump
                        to the very next instruction, the 31 (LXI).

                        Maybe there's a reason for it, but it sure looks like a waste of three
                        bytes.

                        -John

                        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Whiteman"
                        <richwmn@...> wrote:

                        > 31 00 01 loads the stack pointer with what needs to be an area of ram
                        > to use for calls, returns, pushes and pops. It works from the loaded
                        > area downward. It is not a jump.
                        >
                        > Rich
                        >
                        > LXI SP,word LD SP,word 31word SP <- word

                      • Derek J. Lassen
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 11, 2009
                          IIRC, the hex file format had no transfer address, and assumed x'0000'. Many programmers put constants and jump tables at the beginning. So, we usually coded :
                                   ORG   0
                                   JMP    Entry
                          Entry  EQU   *

                          as the first three lines.

                          (s) Derek
                          Altair #000000067

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 12, 2009
                            Good point, it could be a remnant from an assembly language
                            template. The programmer just forgot to remove it, as this
                            application does not have any data in that area. All the data seems
                            to be grouped at the end.

                            I also found that the code only contains ascii compares for F, S,
                            and Y. However, my manual says the program takes many more one
                            letter commands. In fact, when I looked for the command C (to move
                            the cursor) the ascii code for C (43 upper 63 lower) doesn't appear
                            anywhere in the code, so that also eliminates a jump table holding
                            command chars.

                            Of course, there could be some really funny business going on in the
                            code (derived command codes, etc). But the game of Life is so
                            simple, I don't see the need for it, especially in something like
                            the command processor.

                            Has anyone had any luck with the life program from bitsavers?

                            --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Derek J. Lassen"

                            40yahoogroups.com>altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com,
                            > >"Rich Whiteman"
                            > ><richwmn@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > 31 00 01 loads the stack pointer with what needs to be an area
                            of ram
                            > > > to use for calls, returns, pushes and pops. It works from the
                            loaded
                            > > > area downward. It is not a jump.
                            > > >
                            > > > Rich
                            > > >
                            > > > LXI SP,word LD SP,word 31word SP <- word

                          • Craig Landrum
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 12, 2009
                              > I also found that the code only contains ascii compares for F, S,
                              > and Y. However, my manual says the program takes many more one
                              > letter commands. In fact, when I looked for the command C (to move
                              > the cursor) the ascii code for C (43 upper 63 lower) doesn't appear
                              > anywhere in the code, so that also eliminates a jump table holding
                              > command chars.
                              >
                              > Of course, there could be some really funny business going on in the
                              > code

                              Assuming you have 52 bytes available for a jump table, it is easy to
                              support every character of the alphabet as commands. Subtract "A" from
                              the character entered, shift left one bit (multiply * 2), the add the
                              result to a register pair (like HL) that contains the start of the
                              26 addresses of the command handlers, load the jump address from the
                              table into HL and JP (HL). Don't support some letter commands? Just
                              point those to a "bad command" routine or ignore them. For a complex
                              program with lots of commands, you are unlikely to find a direct
                              letter for letter comparison, although once you make the jump, there
                              could be direct comparisons for commands that have arguments or
                              two-letter commands.

                              Just a thought.

                              --
                              Craig Landrum
                              Chief Technical Officer
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 12, 2009
                                --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Craig Landrum
                                <craigl@...> wrote:

                                > > I also found that the code only contains ascii compares for F,
                                S,
                                > > and Y. However, my manual says the program takes many more one
                                > > letter commands. In fact, when I looked for the command C (to
                                move
                                > > the cursor) the ascii code for C (43 upper 63 lower) doesn't
                                appear
                                > > anywhere in the code, so that also eliminates a jump table
                                holding
                                > > command chars.
                                > >
                                > > Of course, there could be some really funny business going on in
                                the
                                > > code
                                >
                                > Assuming you have 52 bytes available for a jump table, it is easy
                                > support every character of the alphabet as commands. Subtract "A"
                                from
                                > the character entered, shift left one bit (multiply * 2), the add
                                the
                                > result to a register pair (like HL) that contains the start of the
                                > 26 addresses of the command handlers, load the jump address from
                                the
                                > table into HL and JP (HL). Don't support some letter commands?
                                Just
                                > point those to a "bad command" routine or ignore them. For a
                                complex
                                > program with lots of commands, you are unlikely to find a direct
                                > letter for letter comparison, although once you make the jump,
                                there
                                > could be direct comparisons for commands that have arguments or
                                > two-letter commands.
                                >
                                > Just a thought.
                                >
                                > --
                                > Craig Landrum
                                > Chief Technical Officer
                                > mindwrap, inc.
                                > Phone: (540) 675-3015 x 229
                                > Fax: (540) 675-3130
                                > email: craigl@...

                                That's the funny businesss I was considering - derived command chars
                                and address tables. You explained it very well, thank you! But I
                                checked for that, no ascii codes for "a" or "A" (except in a data
                                string at the end instructing the user to "ENTER DATA"). And no
                                subtracts, subtracts with borrows, or subtracts immediate with or
                                without borrow anywhere in the code.

                                I also found a DB FF, which reads the sense switches. That worries
                                me because there is absolutely no reference to using the switches in
                                the manual.

                                I'm beginning to think I've got the wrong program.

                                -John
                              • D. Hugh Redelmeier
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 12, 2009
                                  | From: Derek J. Lassen <xl198CV56@...>

                                  | IIRC, the hex file format had no transfer address, and assumed x'0000'. Many
                                  | programmers put constants and jump tables at the beginning. So, we usually coded :
                                  | ORG 0
                                  | JMP Entry
                                  | Entry EQU *
                                  |
                                  | as the first three lines.

                                  Interesting. Those low addresses are used for the interrupt jump
                                  vector but I guess most programs never used interrupts.

                                  I used the interrupt instructions for very short subroutine calls (1 byte
                                  instead of 3). This also made it possible to "revector" to a different
                                  implementation: the low memory was in RAM but my code was in a
                                  ByteSaver EPROM.
                                • john_crane_59
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 13, 2009
                                    Yes, I remember TINY BASIC used the RST method, too. Back when
                                    every byte was expensive, you saved space where you could. Most
                                    later software was ORG-ed @ 0100h to provide some standardization.
                                    That's what CP/M used too.

                                    While relaxing and watching my Dazzler run kalideoscope, I was
                                    considering what new project to tackle... then I got one.

                                    I heard a *click* and the front panel went dark. Doomsday had come!
                                    I immediately pulled the plug and started sniffing. No smoke. At
                                    first it seemed the rectifier blew. 8.5 VAC going in and zip coming
                                    out. Then I noticed a very tiny spark on the printed trace on one
                                    of the 8.5 VAC inputs to the rectifier. Turns out there was a micro
                                    crack right across a trace. My guess is that thermal/mechanical
                                    stress over the years did it. Possibly the rectifier module isn't
                                    properly mounted - if it's too high or too low it might cause stress
                                    on the PCB when it's bolted to that bottom metal frame member /
                                    humongous heatsink. The PCB is bolted at 4 other points, so any
                                    difference in height would cause some bending of the PCB.

                                    -John

                                    --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "D. Hugh Redelmeier"
                                    <hugh@...> wrote:

                                    > | From: Derek J. Lassen <xl198CV56@...>
                                    >
                                    > | IIRC, the hex file format had no transfer address, and assumed
                                    x'0000'. Many
                                    > | programmers put constants and jump tables at the beginning. So,
                                    we usually coded :
                                    > | ORG 0
                                    > | JMP Entry
                                    > | Entry EQU *
                                    > |
                                    > | as the first three lines.
                                    >
                                    > Interesting. Those low addresses are used for the interrupt jump
                                    > vector but I guess most programs never used interrupts.
                                    >
                                    > I used the interrupt instructions for very short subroutine calls
                                    (1 byte
                                    > instead of 3). This also made it possible to "revector" to a
                                    different
                                    > implementation: the low memory was in RAM but my code was in a
                                    > ByteSaver EPROM.

                                  • Dan Roganti
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jan 14, 2009

                                      Geoff wrote:
                                      I have copies of the manuals for some of the Dazzler programs: Life,
                                      Dazzlemation, Kaleidoscope, Dazzlewriter, Dazzle-Writer 512, and Tic
                                      Tac Toe.  If you can't find them elsewhere online, I could probably
                                      scan at least some of them.  They include program listings and a
                                      simple tape loader program.
                                      Geoff,

                                      Could you scan the listing for Life ?
                                      I don't see it on that bitsavers website.

                                      thanks,
                                      =Dan

                                    • oghull
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jan 14, 2009
                                        > Could you scan the listing for Life ?
                                        > I don't see it on that bitsavers website.

                                        Sure, but I may not be able to get to it before the weekend. I'll
                                        post something when it's ready.

                                        Geoff.
                                      • Dan Roganti
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jan 14, 2009

                                          Geoff wrote:
                                          Could you scan the listing for Life ?
                                          I don't see it on that bitsavers website.

                                          Sure, but I may not be able to get to it before the weekend.  I'll
                                          post something when it's ready.

                                          thanks !

                                          =Dan

                                        • oghull
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jan 15, 2009
                                            > Could you scan the listing for Life ?

                                            Done -- www.solivant.com/s-100/cromemco_life.pdf

                                            Let me know if you have any problems reading it.

                                            Geoff.