Custom Altair Front Panel...Re: [Altair Computer Club] 8800 on eBay

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 27, 2008

      oghull wrote:
      What do you guys make of this 8800 on eBay (Item number: 150283429072)?

      Putting aside the absurd starting price for the moment, what do you
      know about that front panel and unusual card guides?  Are they
      original MITS items?

      Geoff.

      I found a reference regarding this custom front panel for the Altair.

      I was reading an old issue of Kilobaud, Mar'79 on pg 142 in the Classifieds section. There was somebody in there that posted an Ad, first entry on that page, which announced replacement front panels for the Altair. These were blue outline on a white background and they were being sold for $19 each. They were sold by DL Tibbetts, 520 Schoolhouse Ln., Willow Grove, PA, 19090(that's close to Philly) .

      Maybe he's still around ?

      =Dan

    • billdeg@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 27, 2008
        In a message dated 9/27/2008 6:13:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        ragooman@... writes:

        > I found a reference regarding this custom front panel for the Altair. > > I was reading an old issue of Kilobaud, Mar'79 on pg 142 in the
        Classifieds
        > section. There was somebody in there that posted an Ad, first entry on that > page, which announced replacement front panels for the Altair. These were > blue outline on a white background and they were being sold for $19 each. > They were sold by DL Tibbetts, 520 Schoolhouse Ln., Willow Grove, PA, 19090( > that's close to Philly) . > > Maybe he's still around ? > > =Dan
        That's right down the road from me. Bill

        **************
      • Grant Stockly
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 6, 2008
          I'm trying to get some loose ends tied up, and that involves
          duplicating tape cassettes.

          I have a TC-WE635 "Stereo Cassette Deck". It says "DC Servo
          Controlled Motor" on the doors, so it must be good! : )

          It has "Automatic Tape Selection", so I will have to trust that...

          It gives me a selection of:

          Dolby NR
          (OFF) (ON) (ON FILTER) and then a (B) and (C)

          Which settings do I want to use?

          It has stereo audio outputs on the back, of course, so I will also
          record the audio into a computer. However these days I don't want to
          put all of my trust into the computer...

          Grant
        • Derek J. Lassen

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 7, 2008
              Grant Stockly wrote:
              > I'm trying to get some loose ends tied up, and that involves
              > duplicating tape cassettes.
              >
              > I have a TC-WE635 "Stereo Cassette Deck". It says "DC Servo
              > Controlled Motor" on the doors, so it must be good! : )
              >
              > It has "Automatic Tape Selection", so I will have to trust that...
              >
              > It gives me a selection of:
              >
              > Dolby NR
              > (OFF) (ON) (ON FILTER) and then a (B) and (C)
              >
              > Which settings do I want to use?
              >
              > It has stereo audio outputs on the back, of course, so I will also
              > record the audio into a computer. However these days I don't want to
              > put all of my trust into the computer...

              Make Dolby = OFF

              I suppose these are original tapes ?
              I don't think these recordings ever used Dolby with such a narrow band
              of frequencies. The signal strength should be strong enough still if
              they were kept in a safe place. Even though you have a stereo deck and
              the tapes were usually recorded on a mono deck, you still might want to
              wire both right and left channels on the sound card to make your
              recording. Because when you insert the stereo plug without this you
              leave one of the inputs floating if it's not wired--might get some
              unexpected results.

              =Dan

              --
              [ Pittsburgh 250th --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/ ]
            • Dave Sroelov
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 7, 2008
                three things i remember about reading/copying altair cassettes...

                (1) dolby off.

                (2) the most reliable way to make copies is with an original 88-ACR
                board (if you have one). you read in the contents of the original and
                write it out to a new one. that way, assuming that all the hardware is
                working properly, you are basically creating a new original.

                (3) make sure you get your input and output levels right, otherwise you
                might get some bit errors reading the original or the copy might not be
                as readable as you'd like, or both.

                --
                Dave Sroelov
                A & S Computer Services, Inc.