8800 on eBay

  • oghull
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 14 9:20 PM
      What do you guys make of this 8800 on eBay (Item number: 150283429072)?

      Putting aside the absurd starting price for the moment, what do you
      know about that front panel and unusual card guides? Are they
      original MITS items?

      Geoff.
    • john_crane_59
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 14 10:47 PM
        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "oghull" <oghull@...> wrote:

        > What do you guys make of this 8800 on eBay (Item number:
        150283429072)?

        > Putting aside the absurd starting price for the moment, what do you
        > know about that front panel and unusual card guides? Are they
        > original MITS items?
        >
        > Geoff.

        It looks like someone got their plate custom painted. I think it
        looks good. I asked the seller about it and he didn't know what I was
        talking about - I think he's just another "seller of stuff" on the
        bay. Those people always jack up the price when they hear the
        magic "A" word. ...Probably never flipped a toggle in his life.

        Gee, I think I'm gonna' get some metal plates cut and have a go at
        painting/printing them. Looks like fun. I think I want a Picasso
        print on mine.

        -John
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 15 10:46 AM
          It was built from a kit, so who knows what happened with the front
          panel. I don't recall ever seeing a commercial one advertised in the
          magazines. It looks pretty good, but that paint job probably ruined
          the collector value- it will never sell for $3500. Also, there
          doesn't seem to be a top cover.

          Was it IMSAI who used that kind of card guide? I know I've seen
          the 'plastic rod with slots cut in it' somewhere before, but not sure
          where. Definitely not Altair. The builder must have been a hacker
          who got parts from multiple sources.

          Among the 9 or 10 boards, I can only identify a MITS 2SIO, CPU-A, and
          2K PROM (PMC).

          The same guy is selling a $3000 model B in another auction
          (150283429668). It has a cover, but several switches will need to be
          replaced and the CPU board is missing. The 3 cards in it look like
          the front panel interface (D/C Interface), 4K Synchronous dynamic RAM
          (S4K), and 4K dynamic RAM (4MCD).

          Electrons are cheap- it's too bad so many sellers insist on posting
          small photos. To write the auction he used Turbolister, which would
          have made it very easy to show larger images.

          wrote:

          > What do you guys make of this 8800 on eBay (Item number:
          150283429072)?

          > Putting aside the absurd starting price for the moment, what do you
          > know about that front panel and unusual card guides? Are they
          > original MITS items?
          >
          > Geoff.

        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 15 11:30 AM
            Steve wrote:
            > It was built from a kit, so who knows what happened with the front
            > panel. I don't recall ever seeing a commercial one advertised in the
            > magazines. It looks pretty good, but that paint job probably ruined
            > the collector value- it will never sell for $3500. Also, there
            > doesn't seem to be a top cover.

            It does look very good for a custom job. I'm guessing their original
            silkscreen faded. But if I had too I would have it painted in the
            original layout --
            > Was it IMSAI who used that kind of card guide?

            I have the original card guides in my IMSAI. It doesn't look anything
            like this, just the common plastic guides you seem most everywhere.
            > I know I've seen the 'plastic rod with slots cut in it' somewhere before, but not sure
            > where. Definitely not Altair. The builder must have been a hacker
            > who got parts from multiple sources.

            I've seen the same card guides in the ALTAIR at the March Museum in the
            InfoAge Science Center. We were working with this several months ago
            together with the owner who donated it to the museum. He said it was a
            retrofit kit that was made back then by Processor Tech. It bought that
            along with their VDM-1 video card which was also included in the donation.
            > Among the 9 or 10 boards, I can only identify a MITS 2SIO, CPU-A, and
            > 2K PROM (PMC).
            It does appear to be several 3rd party cards in there, judging from the
            pcb style and parts. It's hard to distinguish which kind from looking at
            the edges.

            =Dan
          • billdeg@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 15 12:24 PM
              Steve wrote:
              > It was built from a kit, so who knows what happened with the front
              > panel. I don't recall ever seeing a commercial one advertised in the
              > magazines. It looks pretty good, but that paint job probably ruined
              > the collector value- it will never sell for $3500. Also, there
              > doesn't seem to be a top cover.

              The seller is located within 45 minutes of where I live, if there price
              were more reasonable, I might be tempted to drive down to take a look.

              Bill
            • Erik Klein
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 15 2:48 PM
                I can second that the card guides are from Processor Tech. I pulled a
                ProcTech motherboard out of one of my systems and it had those same guides.

                The motherboard is actually for sale on the VCGM at the moment. I'll throw
                in the guides if anyone buys it and mentions them.

                Cheers!

                -----
                Erik Klein
                www.vintage-computer.com
                www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum - The Vintage Computer Forums
                marketplace.vintage-computer.com - The Vintage Computer and Gaming
                Marketplace

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 15 9:55 PM
                  John-

                  While you're at it, how about making me a panel that's reminiscent of a
                  PDP-8/.

                  Steve
                  =================================

                  --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "john_crane_59"
                  <john_crane_59@...> wrote:

                  > Gee, I think I'm gonna' get some metal plates cut and have a go at
                  > painting/printing them. Looks like fun. I think I want a Picasso
                  > print on mine.
                  >
                  > -John

                • Dan Roganti
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 27, 2008

                    oghull wrote:
                    What do you guys make of this 8800 on eBay (Item number: 150283429072)?

                    Putting aside the absurd starting price for the moment, what do you
                    know about that front panel and unusual card guides?  Are they
                    original MITS items?

                    Geoff.

                    I found a reference regarding this custom front panel for the Altair.

                    I was reading an old issue of Kilobaud, Mar'79 on pg 142 in the Classifieds section. There was somebody in there that posted an Ad, first entry on that page, which announced replacement front panels for the Altair. These were blue outline on a white background and they were being sold for $19 each. They were sold by DL Tibbetts, 520 Schoolhouse Ln., Willow Grove, PA, 19090(that's close to Philly) .

                    Maybe he's still around ?

                    =Dan

                  • billdeg@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 27, 2008
                      In a message dated 9/27/2008 6:13:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      ragooman@... writes:

                      > I found a reference regarding this custom front panel for the Altair. > > I was reading an old issue of Kilobaud, Mar'79 on pg 142 in the
                      Classifieds
                      > section. There was somebody in there that posted an Ad, first entry on that > page, which announced replacement front panels for the Altair. These were > blue outline on a white background and they were being sold for $19 each. > They were sold by DL Tibbetts, 520 Schoolhouse Ln., Willow Grove, PA, 19090( > that's close to Philly) . > > Maybe he's still around ? > > =Dan
                      That's right down the road from me. Bill

                      **************
                    • Grant Stockly
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 6, 2008
                        I'm trying to get some loose ends tied up, and that involves
                        duplicating tape cassettes.

                        I have a TC-WE635 "Stereo Cassette Deck". It says "DC Servo
                        Controlled Motor" on the doors, so it must be good! : )

                        It has "Automatic Tape Selection", so I will have to trust that...

                        It gives me a selection of:

                        Dolby NR
                        (OFF) (ON) (ON FILTER) and then a (B) and (C)

                        Which settings do I want to use?

                        It has stereo audio outputs on the back, of course, so I will also
                        record the audio into a computer. However these days I don't want to
                        put all of my trust into the computer...

                        Grant
                      • Derek J. Lassen

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 7, 2008
                            Grant Stockly wrote:
                            > I'm trying to get some loose ends tied up, and that involves
                            > duplicating tape cassettes.
                            >
                            > I have a TC-WE635 "Stereo Cassette Deck". It says "DC Servo
                            > Controlled Motor" on the doors, so it must be good! : )
                            >
                            > It has "Automatic Tape Selection", so I will have to trust that...
                            >
                            > It gives me a selection of:
                            >
                            > Dolby NR
                            > (OFF) (ON) (ON FILTER) and then a (B) and (C)
                            >
                            > Which settings do I want to use?
                            >
                            > It has stereo audio outputs on the back, of course, so I will also
                            > record the audio into a computer. However these days I don't want to
                            > put all of my trust into the computer...

                            Make Dolby = OFF

                            I suppose these are original tapes ?
                            I don't think these recordings ever used Dolby with such a narrow band
                            of frequencies. The signal strength should be strong enough still if
                            they were kept in a safe place. Even though you have a stereo deck and
                            the tapes were usually recorded on a mono deck, you still might want to
                            wire both right and left channels on the sound card to make your
                            recording. Because when you insert the stereo plug without this you
                            leave one of the inputs floating if it's not wired--might get some
                            unexpected results.

                            =Dan

                            --
                            [ Pittsburgh 250th --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/ ]
                          • Dave Sroelov
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 7, 2008
                              three things i remember about reading/copying altair cassettes...

                              (1) dolby off.

                              (2) the most reliable way to make copies is with an original 88-ACR
                              board (if you have one). you read in the contents of the original and
                              write it out to a new one. that way, assuming that all the hardware is
                              working properly, you are basically creating a new original.

                              (3) make sure you get your input and output levels right, otherwise you
                              might get some bit errors reading the original or the copy might not be
                              as readable as you'd like, or both.

                              --
                              Dave Sroelov
                              A & S Computer Services, Inc.