Serial Numbers for the Altair

  • Don Russ
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 16, 2008
      Ya got me goin……

      My serial number is 225177K.

      Below is a cleaned-up version of your post #29 that was displaying in
      raw HTML.

      It appears that my Altair was kitted toward the end of the run for
      the 8800. I have uploaded photos of the computer to the photos page
      of the group.

      Does anyone know when the 8800 ended its run?

      Don

      Here is a list I acquired from various web, newsgroup, and email
      requests.

      steve

      Model: Cardboard Mockup Altair
      Number made: 1

      Picture in Popular Electronics Cover Page
      This was cardboard mock up used because
      the real Altair was built too late to
      meet the magazine deadline for photo

      Model: Prototype Altair
      Number made: 5

      5 prototypes were made before serial
      number 1, read about someone who
      has one of them

      Model: 8800
      Number made: 4000-5000
      Serial Number: 22xxxxy
      22 is part number of cabinet and power supply
      xxxx is actual serial number 0 -4xxx
      y= K for kit or A for assembled

      Other part numbers
      50 = CONT control board
      10 = CPU
      15 = 256 Words Memory board

      Sample serial numbers and some dates of production,
      you can estimate when yours was made with this
      data

      22 0005 A
      22 0039 K
      22 0406 K Date 2/4/75
      22 0479 K
      22 0864 K
      22 1089 A
      22 1162 K
      22 1476 K 4/2/75 on warrenty card
      22 1498 K
      22 1639 K
      22 2004 A
      22 2214 K
      22 2217 K
      22 2280 K
      22 2256 K 4/24/75 invoice
      22 2504 K
      22 2608 K
      22 2654 K
      22 3025 K
      22 3081 K 10/75 estimate from owner
      22 3087 K
      22 3543
      22 3652 K

      Model: 8800 Rackmount version of 8800

      Used in MITS desktop, basic 8800, extended a couple inches to fit
      into cabinet

      Model: 8800A (type 1 silkscreen)
      Number Made: 2000?
      Serial Number: 22xxxxy (same as original)

      Updated version of 8800, larger supply, flat switches, but
      pretty much the same as 8800

      22 5948K

      Model: 8800A (type 2 silkscreen)
      New silkscreen, fixed power up switch

      Model: 8800B
      Serial Number 54 xxxx y or 200- xxxxxxx
      xxxx = serial number starting from 0000 to 0????
      y = K for kit or A for assembled

      Model: 8800B(T)
      Serial Number: 54 xxxxy or 300-xxxxxx

      Model: 8800B-SM (T) with built in Mini Floppy (Foley)
      Serial Number: 600-xxxxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 16, 2008
        Don-
        There are several Steves in this group. Message #29 was submitted by
        Yahoo ID "altairs", who is no longer registered here. I don't know
        how accurate those numbers and dates are, but they sound reasonable.

        We have a database of models and serial numbers in the DATABASE
        folder, which may also help with determining a computer's date of
        manufacture. It's not very active, but it's better than nothing.
        You're welcome to enter your data there.

        Steve (alltare)

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Don Russ"