Re:My YouTube video demonstrating the Altair 8800b er.... 8800

  • Don Russ
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 16, 2008
      Steve and Dave:

      You are correct, it is an Altair 8800.

      Somewhere along the way I got it into my head that this was a B because
      it didn't look like the ones in the videos or on the cover of PE.

      I did a little research: The 8800 went through a few revisions in its
      first few years including a font panel upgrade and a larger motherboard
      option (which made me think B). The 8800A had an upgraded power supply
      and Fan to compete with other mfgs. The 8800B is a major rework to make
      the machine more commercial.

      I'll look into fixing the video. It should be easy to fix the title if
      I didn't loose the project.

      Thanks,

      Don
    • billdeg@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 16, 2008
        I assume that this topic has come up before, but I don't know the
        answer. Why do so many Altair 8800's have no name plate? I don't
        believe "they just fell off" is the right answer. It seems like many
        never had one to begin with.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 16, 2008
          Most of the 8800 and 8800a models that are missing the name plate
          trim strip are probably built from kits. One of the last assembly
          steps was to install the sticky-backed aluminum strip at the bottom
          of the front panel. The stickum was REALLY sticky, so if you
          misplaced the label and then tried to remove it, you would ruin the
          strip with creases and wrinkles. You really only had one chance to
          do it right. If you screwed up, you had to live without the label.

          That's my theory, anyway.

          Steve
          ==================================

          --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, billdeg@... wrote:

          > I assume that this topic has come up before, but I don't know the
          > answer. Why do so many Altair 8800's have no name plate? I don't
          > believe "they just fell off" is the right answer. It seems like
          many
          > never had one to begin with.
          >
          > Bill

        • Don Russ
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 17, 2008
            My theory is that a lot of owners put the strip away in a safe place
            because they didn't want to harm it while flipping bits. They probably
            intended to put it on at a later date that never came.

            I saw the same thing happen with Heathkits. The trim was kept for the
            day they sell it.

            Don