video displays

  • Dave Sroelov
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
      this is going way back, but i'm almost positive the Televideo does have
      the monitor capability, mainly because i remember my screen getting
      really screwed up whenever a stray control character got shot out by
      mistake.

      i think the LSI ADM does too, but that would only be a "sorta kinda
      might have it".

      --
      Dave Sroelov
      A & S Computer Services, Inc.

      Tel: 919-554-4388
      Fax: 919-554-9431
      email: dave@...
    • Craig Landrum
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
        On Tuesday, July 1, 2008 at 5:57 PM, Dave Sroelov sent:

        >this is going way back, but i'm almost positive the Televideo does have
        >the monitor capability, mainly because i remember my screen getting
        >really screwed up whenever a stray control character got shot out by
        >mistake.
        >
        >i think the LSI ADM does too, but that would only be a "sorta kinda
        >might have it".

        I've used both of these things in the way back when, but I'm
        reasonably sure that the ADM did all its configuration using a
        set of dip switches under a panel to the right of the keyboard.
        Since we were constantly reconfiguring the things for different
        baud rates, it was rare to find a unit that still had the switch
        panel cover.

        Not sure how the Televideo did its thing.

        What I've done lately on the Altair I sold last year and the
        two IMSAIs I've restored is to buy a Wyse 60 or similar off
        eBay. picked one up recently for about 25 buck that was in
        really excellent shape. The Wyse can emulate a number of
        dumb terminals including the Televideo 910 and the Vt100, etc
        and its setup is done via a keyboard function key and onscreen
        menu. Its there that you can set the monitor mode. If you are
        working with older Altairs and IMSAIs, it is well worth it to
        pick up a Wyse - you can quickly debug baud rates, see what is
        coming across the line, and set up to emulate stuff for
        Wordstar and other goodies.
        --
        Craig Landrum
        Chief Technical Officer
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2008
          like i said, i don't remember much about the ADM terminals. it was just
          a vague feeling that it could do monitoring. i used a televideo 910 and
          a televideo 950, and you turned monitor mode on and off using escape
          sequences. if i had the manuals readily available i would post the
          sequences, but they are well buried in a box that hasn't been opened for
          almost twenty years.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2008
            for anyone who might be interested, here is a link to a televideo 950
            manual. page 3-23 has the codes for switching into and out of monitor
            mode.

            http://vt100.net/televideo/950-om.pdf