Re: Where is everybody?

  • kenfarmer47
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 1999
      There are lots of Altairs still around and tons
      of IMSAIs. However, most people who are trying to
      find one are looking in the wrong place. Remember that
      the heyday of the Altair was 25 years ago and most
      people who bought one had to at least have a fairly good
      job (400 bucks was a whole lot more money then - in
      fact, a good months pay for many). When the PC and
      other computers came out, the old 8 bit machines lost
      any resale value but were too nice of a box to just
      throw away. In the attic they went. Obviously, most
      people who bought back then were not kids - they were in
      their twenties and thirties. So most are retired today
      and they probably don't surf looking for information
      on coumputers that they have completely forgotten
      existed. It is my experience that after a lifetime of high
      pressure computer careers, many never want to look at one
      again and go golfing, or fishing, or whatever from then
      on. Advertise in places that retirees go. <br><br>I
      found one nice Altair by paying 10 dollars to a flea
      market vendor at a very large flea market to post a sign
      on his table saying "Looking for an old Altair". The
      first day I got a bite (and about a thousand TRS-80 and
      a billion Commodore offers) and a moderate drive
      later, an Altair. Also a very nice IMSAI in working
      condition. I would wager that I could do it again within a
      week. I am still looking for Altair number 1 that
      vanished on the trip from MITS to Popular Electronics when
      REA went bankrupt. It is still around
      somewhere.<br><br>Ken Farmer