So what is the going rate for a "stock" Altair 8800?

  • mardy_marshall
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2008
      I see a fairly stock, minimally configured, Altair 8800 on eBay that looks like it is going to go
      for north of $3K. Is this normal or is someone getting a little careless with their money?
    • mardy_marshall
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2008
        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "mardy_marshall" <mardy@...> wrote:

        > I see a fairly stock, minimally configured, Altair 8800 on eBay that looks like it is going to
        go
        > for north of $3K. Is this normal or is someone getting a little careless with their money?

        An update. It ended up selling for $4150.00.
      • Grant Stockly
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2008
          At 05:49 PM 2/2/2008, you wrote:

          --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "mardy_marshall" <mardy@...> wrote:

          > I see a fairly stock, minimally configured, Altair 8800 on eBay that looks like it is going to
          go
          > for north of $3K. Is this normal or is someone getting a little careless with their money?

          An update. It ended up selling for $4150.00.

          Don't count that price as market value...  That is way over the average for an as-is system with a broken switch and marginal testing.  A dozen with that same basic description were sold last year for 1/2 the price.

          If this is the way things are going, I will sell my ADM3 Altair 8800 with 56k memory, dual disk drives, the whole works!  Ought to be worth 10k!  : )  Vintage Altair by the way...
        • Erik Klein
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3, 2008

            There hasn’t been one listed for a while so there was a bit of pent-up demand.

            Now that folks have seen the potential price those dusty old Altairs will pop out of closets and attics at a faster rate for a bit until the prices are back down to reality again.

            This seems to be a typical cycle. . .

               Erik Klein

               www.vintage-computer.com

               www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum