Re: 8800bT on ebay

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 13, 2008
      The unused connector on that CPU board connects to a Display/Control
      Interface Board (AKA the Front Panel Interface Board). Turnkey
      models don't use the D/CI board- only the full front panel 8800b uses
      it- so the connector is unused in this case.

      Steve
      ===============================

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "h_e_robert_g"

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 13, 2008

        You can see the connector being used in the auction #320206919774 at

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320206919774

        There's a short jumper cable going between the CPU and D/CI boards.

        Steve
        =================================

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alltare@...> wrote:

        > The unused connector on that CPU board connects to a Display/Control
        > Interface Board (AKA the Front Panel Interface Board). Turnkey
        > models don't use the D/CI board- only the full front panel 8800b uses
        > it- so the connector is unused in this case.
        >
        > Steve
        > ===============================
        >
        > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "h_e_robert_g"
        > h_e_robert_g@ wrote:
        > >
        > > Even if the it had a basic ROM board, you'd still need at least 16K
        > > for it to load into? In it's current configuration, it doesn't even
        > > have the cable for the SIO port, so no terminal connection? At
        > least
        > > with a terminal connected and a turmon EPROM, you could play with
        > the
        > > 1K of memory on the Turnkey board! A very expensive 1K computer for
        > > it's time?
        > >
        > > Somebody refresh my memory, (which is becoming more "dynamic" and
        > less
        > > "static" with age!), but doesn't the Front Panel connector on the
        > > CPU-b board still have to connect to the Turnkey board? To me, it's
        > > just pieces of a system...good pieces, but not the complete system!
        > >
        > > Bob
        > >

        > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Kessel"
        > > <akessel56@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I think my main thought was, not terribly useful without at least
        > 32k
        > > > of memory

      • h_e_robert_g
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 13, 2008
          Steve,

          Thanks for the correction, I looked through the "b" manuals I have and couldn't find a reference to it.  I had a b/t a few years ago never booted it, and sold it when I found a complete "b"...I could afford;).   My confusion arose because the Turnkey board does have some front panel functionality, but I guess no need to "display" the data bits!

          The economy must be getting worse, as these "Sweet Machines" seem to be coming out of the woodwork!:)

          Bob!