Re: 8800bT on ebay

  • h_e_robert_g
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 13, 2008
      Even if the it had a basic ROM board, you'd still need at least 16K
      for it to load into? In it's current configuration, it doesn't even
      have the cable for the SIO port, so no terminal connection? At least
      with a terminal connected and a turmon EPROM, you could play with the
      1K of memory on the Turnkey board! A very expensive 1K computer for
      it's time?

      Somebody refresh my memory, (which is becoming more "dynamic" and less
      "static" with age!), but doesn't the Front Panel connector on the
      CPU-b board still have to connect to the Turnkey board? To me, it's
      just pieces of a system...good pieces, but not the complete system!

      Bob

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Kessel"

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 13, 2008
        The unused connector on that CPU board connects to a Display/Control
        Interface Board (AKA the Front Panel Interface Board). Turnkey
        models don't use the D/CI board- only the full front panel 8800b uses
        it- so the connector is unused in this case.

        Steve
        ===============================

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "h_e_robert_g"

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 13, 2008

          You can see the connector being used in the auction #320206919774 at

          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320206919774

          There's a short jumper cable going between the CPU and D/CI boards.

          Steve
          =================================

          --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alltare@...> wrote:

          > The unused connector on that CPU board connects to a Display/Control
          > Interface Board (AKA the Front Panel Interface Board). Turnkey
          > models don't use the D/CI board- only the full front panel 8800b uses
          > it- so the connector is unused in this case.
          >
          > Steve
          > ===============================
          >
          > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "h_e_robert_g"
          > h_e_robert_g@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Even if the it had a basic ROM board, you'd still need at least 16K
          > > for it to load into? In it's current configuration, it doesn't even
          > > have the cable for the SIO port, so no terminal connection? At
          > least
          > > with a terminal connected and a turmon EPROM, you could play with
          > the
          > > 1K of memory on the Turnkey board! A very expensive 1K computer for
          > > it's time?
          > >
          > > Somebody refresh my memory, (which is becoming more "dynamic" and
          > less
          > > "static" with age!), but doesn't the Front Panel connector on the
          > > CPU-b board still have to connect to the Turnkey board? To me, it's
          > > just pieces of a system...good pieces, but not the complete system!
          > >
          > > Bob
          > >

          > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Kessel"
          > > <akessel56@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I think my main thought was, not terribly useful without at least
          > 32k
          > > > of memory

        • h_e_robert_g
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 13, 2008
            Steve,

            Thanks for the correction, I looked through the "b" manuals I have and couldn't find a reference to it.  I had a b/t a few years ago never booted it, and sold it when I found a complete "b"...I could afford;).   My confusion arose because the Turnkey board does have some front panel functionality, but I guess no need to "display" the data bits!

            The economy must be getting worse, as these "Sweet Machines" seem to be coming out of the woodwork!:)

            Bob!