Re: [Altair Computer Club] Price guide?

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 16, 2007
      Near the end of MITS life, Pertec cancelled the 680 and they had lots
      of unsold surplus 680s and boards. I remember seeing many pallets of
      680b's- maybe a fifty to a hundred per pallet- that were given to the
      Albuquerque Tech-Vocational Institute. Is that the school where you
      got your stuff, Steve?

      If you're lucky, you may be able to put faces to some of the names on
      your QC tags. Have you looked at the MITS group photo yet?
      http://home.earthlink.net/~webdisk4/MITSemployees/MITSemployees.htm

      Steve too
      ======================

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "esssgeorge"
      <esssgeorge@...> wrote:

      > Bill,
      >
      > I'll work on making a MITS item inventory.
      >
      > I have only found one box of the Altair stuff I have. It is all
      Altair
      > 680 related as far as I know. I acquired it in the 1980s when I was
      > cleaning house a school I worked at in Albuquerque, NM and was told
      > get rid of this hardware and documentation that had recently been
      > donated to the school by MITS. It was donated as surplus and was
      > considered obsolete. It appears that it was never used, as some of
      the
      > assembled boards still have the original MITS Q.C. cards on them.
      The
      > cards are signed and dated by the various people who worked on them
      > and all dates are in 1977. (I made a Photo Album with a couple of
      > them.) I know that I have other stuff that I have not found yet
      > because I have not seen some of the stuff I recall clearly.
      >
      > Steve
      >
      > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, billdeg@ wrote:
      > >

      > > Steve,
      > >

      > > In a round-about way, here is my answer.
      > >
      > > First how about we use this group to?update our MITS item
      inventory
      > (a simple one)?
      > >

      > > Model
      > > condition
      > > serial number
      > > operational status?(base system)
      > >
      > > (keep extra cards separate)
      > >
      > > THEN
      > >
      > > Once we have an updated inventory, members here can compile and
      > submit their opinion of the prices of what others have posted.? This
      > way we can form a group consensus.? Truthfully there are so many
      > factors that go into pricing an antique computer it's almost
      > impossible to compare one with another.? Altairs were bought to be
      > customized.
      > >
      > > ...Maybe we could just start by updating the member inventory in a
      > central location.? My logic being that if we have an idea how many
      and
      > what kind/condition MITS stuff exists in this subset of total owners
      > of Altairs, we can make our own knowledge base.? Otherwise, Ebay is
      > the going to be the only source for this information.?
      > >
      > > Bill

      __

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 16, 2007
        Bill,
        That's a good idea. We have a registry of Altair owners and S/Ns in
        our DATABASE folder. If you want your inventory list to reside on
        this site, perhaps you could come up with something similar for
        individual boards and parts.

        Steve
        =======================

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, billdeg@... wrote:

        > Steve,
        >

        > In a round-about way, here is my answer.
        >
        > First how about we use this group to?update our MITS item inventory
        (a simple one)?

        > Model
        > condition
        > serial number
        > operational status?(base system)
        >
        > (keep extra cards separate)
        >
        > THEN
        >
        > Once we have an updated inventory, members here can compile and
        submit their opinion of the prices of what others have posted.? This
        way we can form a group consensus.? Truthfully there are so many
        factors that go into pricing an antique computer it's almost
        impossible to compare one with another.? Altairs were bought to be
        customized.

        > ...Maybe we could just start by updating the member inventory in a
        central location.? My logic being that if we have an idea how many
        and what kind/condition MITS stuff exists in this subset of total
        owners of Altairs, we can make our own knowledge base.? Otherwise,
        Ebay is the going to be the only source for this information.?

        > Bill

        __
        http://webmail.aol.com

      • esssgeorge
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 17, 2007
          I did get my stuff via Albuquerque Tech-Vocational Institute(TVI), but
          the quantity was in less than 10, 1 cubic foot boxes. (I added a
          photo to my Photo Album.) I know this included a turnkey unit which is
          among the stuff I have not located yet.

          I don't recall the exact year but know that this was after 1981 which
          does not coincide with the 1969-1980 on the MITS group photo page. I
          thought it came directly from MITS, but I may have just assumed that.
          I worked at TVI from the early to mid '80s and never saw any other 680
          stuff.

          Steve H.

          --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alltare@...> wrote:

          > Near the end of MITS life, Pertec cancelled the 680 and they had lots
          > of unsold surplus 680s and boards. I remember seeing many pallets of
          > 680b's- maybe a fifty to a hundred per pallet- that were given to the
          > Albuquerque Tech-Vocational Institute. Is that the school where you
          > got your stuff, Steve?
          >
          > If you're lucky, you may be able to put faces to some of the names on
          > your QC tags. Have you looked at the MITS group photo yet?
          > http://home.earthlink.net/~webdisk4/MITSemployees/MITSemployees.htm
          >
          > Steve too
          > ======================
          >
          > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "esssgeorge"
          > <esssgeorge@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Bill,
          > >
          > > I'll work on making a MITS item inventory.
          > >
          > > I have only found one box of the Altair stuff I have. It is all
          > Altair
          > > 680 related as far as I know. I acquired it in the 1980s when I was
          > > cleaning house a school I worked at in Albuquerque, NM and was told
          > > get rid of this hardware and documentation that had recently been
          > > donated to the school by MITS. It was donated as surplus and was
          > > considered obsolete. It appears that it was never used, as some of
          > the
          > > assembled boards still have the original MITS Q.C. cards on them.
          > The
          > > cards are signed and dated by the various people who worked on them
          > > and all dates are in 1977. (I made a Photo Album with a couple of
          > > them.) I know that I have other stuff that I have not found yet
          > > because I have not seen some of the stuff I recall clearly.
          > >
          > > Steve
          > >
          > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, billdeg@ wrote:
          > > >

          > > > Steve,
          > > >

          > > > In a round-about way, here is my answer.
          > > >
          > > > First how about we use this group to?update our MITS item
          > inventory
          > > (a simple one)?
          > > >

          > > > Model
          > > > condition
          > > > serial number
          > > > operational status?(base system)
          > > >
          > > > (keep extra cards separate)
          > > >
          > > > THEN
          > > >
          > > > Once we have an updated inventory, members here can compile and
          > > submit their opinion of the prices of what others have posted.? This
          > > way we can form a group consensus.? Truthfully there are so many
          > > factors that go into pricing an antique computer it's almost
          > > impossible to compare one with another.? Altairs were bought to be
          > > customized.
          > > >
          > > > ...Maybe we could just start by updating the member inventory in a
          > > central location.? My logic being that if we have an idea how many
          > and
          > > what kind/condition MITS stuff exists in this subset of total owners
          > > of Altairs, we can make our own knowledge base.? Otherwise, Ebay is
          > > the going to be the only source for this information.?
          > > >
          > > > Bill

        • Craig Landrum
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 17, 2007
            All;

            As some input into the "how much is it worth" discussion, I recently
            sold all of my Altair stuff to a single buyer, who was a collector.

            My setup consisted of the following:

            Altair 8800 with nice condition front w/silver logo strip. Case
            had original power supply and I rebuilt and replaced all caps in
            the supply. Bus used 4 or 5 4 slot segments (I forget). I replaced
            all the original wiring between the front panel and the bus.

            The Altair was packed with 100% MITS boards only, and I had most of
            them:

            - MITS CPU Board Rev 1
            - MITS 16MCS Static RAM 1976 (4 installed)
            - MITS PMC PROM Board Rev 0 (uses 1702A 256 byte EPROMs) with:
            - DBL (Boot) EPROM at FF00
            - DSTEP (Diskette Track Positioning Program) at FC00
            - MITS SIO2 (2 port serial) Board Rev 0 (for RS232 console)
            - MITS DISK BD 1 Rev 0-X3 Floppy Disk Controller board 1
            - MITS DISK BD 2 Rev 0-X2 Floppy Disk Controller board 2
            - MITS SIOC Serial TTY (Current Loop) board
            - MITS C700 Rev 0 Centronics Printer board

            Cards not installed:

            - MITS PIO Rev 0 Parallel Interface board
            - MITS 1K Static RAM Memory Board with 256 bytes installed
            (original kit memory board)

            Attached to the 8800 was two MITS 8-inch floppy drives in
            good condition. I also had a spare that needed some cosmetic
            repair on the frotn panel but was in working order.

            I had disks for Altair BASIC (several versions), Altair DOS,
            and Burcomm 56K CP/M 2.2, all bootable and working.

            The Altair came with a Wyse 160 for high speed everyday use
            and a working ASR33 with working paper tape reader punch.

            I also supplied a 1990's era Epson Centronics dot matrix
            printer that worked nicely with the C700 card.

            Original manuals (some still in MITS envelopes) as well as
            a number of spare parts (including spare RAM chips for the
            16K static boards.

            I got $6,000 for all of this which I considered to be a fair
            price keeping in mind the number of hours I put in to assemble
            the system and bring it back up to 100% working condition.
            The buyer was happy with it. He also bought a tricked out
            IMSAI system that I had for $3,000.

            My take is that an 8800 in nice cosmetic condition is worth
            $2,000, assuming it has the original CPU card in it. If it
            also has additional MITS boards the price can go (way) up. If
            the unit is actually working (I VERY rarely see this on eBay, so
            if you auction an Altair that works, you should demand and
            get top dollar), its worth even more. MITS Floppy drives are
            $750 to 1K in good condition. The most expensive board(s) are
            the two floppy disk sets which go for $200-$400. Other boards
            (when you can find them) go for anywhere from $30 up to $150.

            An ASR33 without a stand but with case and Teletype logo is
            worth $750. A working one with a stand can get upwards of
            $1,000 now.

            I often wonder who buys these things. If people buy non-working
            units in order to restore them to working condition (as I did
            just because I thought it would be neat to do it), why don't
            we ever see auctions of working, bootable units on eBay?
            I suspect that these things are being bought as cubicle
            decorations sor something. Geek chic. Or perhaps people
            underestimate what it takes to debiug and restore one of
            these things and only old farts like us can do it :-)

            Anyhow, that was my input. FYI, I have no more Altairs, but
            I still have my original IMSAI in working bootable condition
            as are each and every other antique comp I have.