Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Didn't know this group existed!

Expand Messages
  • Gordon L. Scott
    Hello enthusiasts! As a former employee of MITS in 1975 I have a continuing interest in the preservation of ALTAIR history. At present, my main concern is
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 18, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      Hello enthusiasts! As a former employee of MITS in 1975 I have a
      continuing interest in the preservation of ALTAIR history. At
      present, my main concern is documenting the names of people that
      worked at MITS prior to MITS being sold to Pertec.
      My name is Gordon Scott and I worked for MITS only about 8 months in
      1975 before being fired by Ed Roberts (he fired many of the staff and
      then rehired them at some point!). I did not return but instead took
      a job offer at Sandia National Laboratories.
      The "Startup" display at Albuquerque's Museum of Natural History and
      Science has a photo prominently displayed on one wall with most of the
      MITS employees as of May 1975. I am in that photo along with some
      other very dedicated people that made the ALTAIR a worthwhile
      contribution to American History. But you already know the value of
      that contribution or you wouldn't be reading this!
      If you are a former employee of MITS you may contact me through this
      forum. I do not wish to put my email address in the public domain! LOL!
    • billdeg@aol.com
      In a message dated 11/18/2007 8:21:24 PM Eastern Standard Time, ... Maybe you can help me...I m still waiting for my 4K memory card ... no one seems to be
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 18, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        In a message dated 11/18/2007 8:21:24 PM Eastern Standard Time, 
        gordonscott@... writes:
        
        
        > Hello enthusiasts! As a former employee of MITS in 1975 I have a > continuing interest in the preservation of ALTAIR history. At > present, my main concern is documenting the names of people that > worked at MITS prior to MITS being sold to Pertec. > My name is Gordon Scott and I worked for MITS only about 8 months in > 1975 before being fired by Ed Roberts (he fired many of the staff and > then rehired them at some point!). I did not return but instead took > a job offer at Sandia National Laboratories. > The "Startup" display at Albuquerque's Museum of Natural History and > Science has a photo prominently displayed on one wall with most of the > MITS employees as of May 1975. I am in that photo along with some > other very dedicated people that made the ALTAIR a worthwhile > contribution to American History. But you already know the value of > that contribution or you wouldn't be reading this! > If you are a former employee of MITS you may contact me through this > forum. I do not wish to put my email address in the public domain! LOL!
        Maybe you can help me...I'm still waiting for my 4K memory card ... no one seems to be anwering my calls over there. ha ha ha. -Bill


        **************************************
        See what's new at http://www.aol.com
      • Gordon L. Scott
        That 4k card was a dynamic memory card, setup with a much too long refresh interval. In addition, it used a CPU interrupt when refresh occurred! You are
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 19, 2007
        • 0 Attachment
          That 4k card was a dynamic memory card, setup with a much too long
          refresh interval. In addition, it used a CPU interrupt when refresh
          occurred! You are better off without it!
        • billdeg@aol.com
          In a message dated 11/19/2007 10:31:49 AM Eastern Standard Time, ... Oh really? I heard that they re coming out with a 16K card, but what would I do with so
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 19, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            In a message dated 11/19/2007 10:31:49 AM Eastern Standard Time, 
            gordonscott@... writes:
            
            
            > That 4k card was a dynamic memory card, setup with a much too long > refresh interval. In addition, it used a CPU interrupt when refresh > occurred! You are better off without it!
            Oh really? I heard that they're coming out with a 16K card, but what would I do with so much memory?


            **************************************
            See what's new at http://www.aol.com
          • Gordon L. Scott
            If we can teach Yates how to read the dynamic memory spec sheet we may have just gobs and gobs of memory for the Altair! On that older 4k card, the fix is to
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 19, 2007
            • 0 Attachment
              If we can teach Yates how to read the dynamic memory spec sheet we may
              have just gobs and gobs of memory for the Altair!
              On that older 4k card, the fix is to bypass one stage of the clock
              divider to double the refresh rate, then the card is reliable. The
              downside is that it also generates twice as many CPU interrupts!
            • Jack Rubin
              Glad there s a fix - thank you! (and welcome to the group) Jack ... From: altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com [mailto:altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com] On
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 19, 2007
              • 0 Attachment
                Message
                Glad there's a fix - thank you!
                (and welcome to the group)
                 
                Jack
                 
                -----Original Message-----
                From: altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com [mailto:altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Gordon L. Scott
                Sent: Monday, November 19, 2007 4:00 PM
                To: altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: Re: [Altair Computer Club] Didn't know this group existed!

                If we can teach Yates how to read the dynamic memory spec sheet we may
                have just gobs and gobs of memory for the Altair!
                On that older 4k card, the fix is to bypass one stage of the clock
                divider to double the refresh rate, then the card is reliable. The
                downside is that it also generates twice as many CPU interrupts!


                No virus found in this incoming message.
                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.16.0/1137 - Release Date: 11/18/2007 5:15 PM


                No virus found in this outgoing message.
                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.16.0/1137 - Release Date: 11/18/2007 5:15 PM

              • Gordon L. Scott
                The original Altair circuitry was designed by people with very limited experience in TTL methodology. Many of the designers were right out of school or still
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 19, 2007
                • 0 Attachment
                  The original Altair circuitry was designed by people with very limited
                  experience in TTL methodology. Many of the designers were right out
                  of school or still in school while working for MITS. As an example,
                  the original CPU split phase clock was derived by using a dual
                  one-shot mvb (74ls123). The inherent instability of this scheme led to
                  erratic performance that was often attributed to other cards in the
                  system. Subsequent versions of the CPU incorporated the more
                  conventional dual j-k ff to develop a locked split phase clock. And
                  bear in mind that no one had ever produced a computer at such an
                  unheard of low price! Everyone involved knew their limitations and
                  were quick to learn from mistakes. It was an exciting time to work at
                  MITS!
                  As for the memory card generating an interrupt at refresh time, no one
                  at MITS knew how to do a refresh without interrupting the CPU, it had
                  never been done before with the S100 bus!




                  --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Rubin"
                  <jack.rubin@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Glad there's a fix - thank you!
                  > (and welcome to the group)
                  >
                  > Jack
                  >
                  >
                  > -----Original Message-----
                  > From: altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com
                  > [mailto:altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Gordon L. Scott
                  > Sent: Monday, November 19, 2007 4:00 PM
                  > To: altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: Re: [Altair Computer Club] Didn't know this group existed!
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > If we can teach Yates how to read the dynamic memory spec sheet we may
                  > have just gobs and gobs of memory for the Altair!
                  > On that older 4k card, the fix is to bypass one stage of the clock
                  > divider to double the refresh rate, then the card is reliable. The
                  > downside is that it also generates twice as many CPU interrupts!
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > No virus found in this incoming message.
                  > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  > Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.16.0/1137 - Release Date:
                  > 11/18/2007 5:15 PM
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > No virus found in this outgoing message.
                  > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  > Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.16.0/1137 - Release Date:
                  > 11/18/2007 5:15 PM
                  >
                • Allison Parent
                  Feel amused... I was one of the very earliest adoptors. I got the copy of Popular electronics and immediately dropped the plans for a 8008 based system using
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 19, 2007
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Feel amused...

                    I was one of the very earliest adoptors. I got the copy
                    of Popular electronics and immediately dropped the plans
                    for a 8008 based system using Control Systems L series
                    cards. (had 8008 expereince aplenty by then.)

                    So in December of 1974 I fired off an order. Early january
                    I was assembling the CPU, Box, FP and 88PIO and 88-4MCD.
                    By May I was ordering more ram another 4K and 88ACR. Next
                    order was for 88S4Ks as I was getting tired of the MCDs
                    flaking out. By then I was running 16K.

                    Still have most of it including that dang cranky ACR, the
                    PIO and the rest. I retired the machine by 1978 as there
                    were too many things that either wear, or never were
                    to my satisfaction. But it spawned three others and
                    some of those people have built off the inital skills
                    from their Altairs.


                    Allison
                  • Steve
                    This is the photo Gordon was talking about. For a larger version and a list of those employees who have been identified, go to
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
                    • 0 Attachment

                      This is the photo Gordon was talking about. 

                      For a larger version and a list of those employees who have been identified, go to
                      http://home.earthlink.net/~webdisk4/MITSemployees/MITSemployees.htm 

                      If you're a former MITS employee, please help identify these people.

                      Steve
                      ===========================

                      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon L. Scott" <gordonscott@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > Hello enthusiasts! As a former employee of MITS in 1975 I have a
                      > continuing interest in the preservation of ALTAIR history. At
                      > present, my main concern is documenting the names of people that
                      > worked at MITS prior to MITS being sold to Pertec.
                      > My name is Gordon Scott and I worked for MITS only about 8 months in
                      > 1975 before being fired by Ed Roberts (he fired many of the staff and
                      > then rehired them at some point!). I did not return but instead took
                      > a job offer at Sandia National Laboratories.
                      > The "Startup" display at Albuquerque's Museum of Natural History and
                      > Science has a photo prominently displayed on one wall with most of the
                      > MITS employees as of May 1975. I am in that photo along with some
                      > other very dedicated people that made the ALTAIR a worthwhile
                      > contribution to American History. But you already know the value of
                      > that contribution or you wouldn't be reading this!
                      > If you are a former employee of MITS you may contact me through this
                      > forum. I do not wish to put my email address in the public domain! LOL!
                      >

                    • Gordon L. Scott
                      Nice work Steve! All but about 14 of the crew are now identified. Now if we can get the list displayed in the NM museum near the large photo it would be a
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 3, 2007
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Nice work Steve! All but about 14 of the crew are now identified.
                        Now if we can get the list displayed in the NM museum near the large
                        photo it would be a nice improvement to the display.


                        Gordon



                        -- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alltare@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >
                        > This is the photo Gordon was talking about.
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        > For a larger version and a list of those employees who have been
                        > identified, go to
                        > http://home.earthlink.net/~webdisk4/MITSemployees/MITSemployees.htm
                        > <http://home.earthlink.net/~webdisk4/MITSemployees/MITSemployees.htm>
                        >
                        > If you're a former MITS employee, please help identify these people.
                        >
                        > Steve
                        > ===========================
                        >
                        >
                      • Steve
                        It will take awhile, but I think we ll eventually get most of the names. If you know any other former MITSers, ask them to take a look at that web page. Steve
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 5, 2007
                        • 0 Attachment
                          It will take awhile, but I think we'll eventually get most of the
                          names. If you know any other former MITSers, ask them to take a look
                          at that web page.

                          Steve
                          ==============================

                          --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon L. Scott"
                          <gordonscott@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > Nice work Steve! All but about 14 of the crew are now identified.
                          > Now if we can get the list displayed in the NM museum near the large
                          > photo it would be a nice improvement to the display.
                          >
                          >
                          > Gordon
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          > -- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alltare@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > >
                          > > This is the photo Gordon was talking about.
                          > >
                          > >
                          > >
                          > > For a larger version and a list of those employees who have been
                          > > identified, go to
                          > >
                          http://home.earthlink.net/~webdisk4/MITSemployees/MITSemployees.htm
                          > >
                          <http://home.earthlink.net/~webdisk4/MITSemployees/MITSemployees.htm>
                          > >
                          > > If you're a former MITS employee, please help identify these
                          people.
                          > >
                          > > Steve
                          > > ===========================
                          > >
                          > >
                          >
                        • Jack Rubin
                          how about skeeter/scooter/riatla ? Steve wrote: It will take awhile, but I think we ll eventually get most of
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 5, 2007
                          • 0 Attachment
                            how about skeeter/scooter/riatla ?

                            Steve <alltare@...> wrote:
                            It will take awhile, but I think we'll eventually get most of the
                            names. If you know any other former MITSers, ask them to take a look
                            at that web page.

                            Steve
                            ============ ========= =========

                            --- In altaircomputerclub@ yahoogroups. com, "Gordon L. Scott"
                            <gordonscott@ ...> wrote:
                            >
                            > Nice work Steve! All but about 14 of the crew are now identified.
                            > Now if we can get the list displayed in the NM museum near the large
                            > photo it would be a nice improvement to the display.
                            >
                            >
                            > Gordon
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            > -- In altaircomputerclub@ yahoogroups. com, "Steve" <alltare@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > >
                            > > This is the photo Gordon was talking about.
                            > >
                            > >
                            > >
                            > > For a larger version and a list of those employees who have been
                            > > identified, go to
                            > >
                            http://home. earthlink. net/~webdisk4/ MITSemployees/ MITSemployees. htm
                            > >
                            <http://home. earthlink. net/~webdisk4/ MITSemployees/ MITSemployees. htm>
                            > >
                            > > If you're a former MITS employee, please help identify these
                            people.
                            > >
                            > > Steve
                            > > ============ ========= ======
                            > >
                            > >
                            >


                          • Steve
                            Nope. Skeeter/riatla lives in Albuquerque, but never worked for MITS and only knows a few of their employees. He sure comes up with a lot of their products,
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 5, 2007
                            • 0 Attachment
                              Nope. Skeeter/riatla lives in Albuquerque, but never worked for MITS
                              and only knows a few of their employees. He sure comes up with a lot
                              of their products, though, which most of us have probably noticed on
                              ebay. I've seen quite a few of yours lately too, Jack.

                              By the way, as group moderator I have no objection if any member
                              wants to plug his Altair-related ebay auctions here. Please provide
                              the item number or a link to your auction and a brief description.

                              Steve
                              ===========================================

                              --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Jack Rubin
                              <jack.rubin@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > how about skeeter/scooter/riatla ?
                              >
                              > Steve <alltare@...> wrote: It will
                              take awhile, but I think we'll eventually get most of the
                              > names. If you know any other former MITSers, ask them to take a
                              look
                              > at that web page.
                              >
                              > Steve
                              > ==============================
                              >
                              > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon L. Scott"
                              > <gordonscott@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Nice work Steve! All but about 14 of the crew are now
                              identified.
                              > > Now if we can get the list displayed in the NM museum near the
                              large
                              > > photo it would be a nice improvement to the display.
                              > >
                              > >
                              > > Gordon
                              > >
                              > >
                              > >
                              > > -- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alltare@>
                              wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > >
                              > > > This is the photo Gordon was talking about.
                              > > >
                              > > >
                              > > >
                              > > > For a larger version and a list of those employees who have
                              been
                              > > > identified, go to
                              > > >
                              > http://home.earthlink.net/~webdisk4/MITSemployees/MITSemployees.htm
                              > > >
                              >
                              <http://home.earthlink.net/~webdisk4/MITSemployees/MITSemployees.htm>
                              > > >
                              > > > If you're a former MITS employee, please help identify these
                              > people.
                              > > >
                              > > > Steve
                              > > > ===========================
                              > > >
                              > > >
                              > >
                              >
                            • alltare
                              I thought It might be about time to bump this thread back to the top. I m still trying to update the list of names of the early MITS employees who are
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 15
                              • 0 Attachment
                                I thought It might be about time to bump this thread back to the top.  I'm still trying to
                                 update the list of names of the early MITS employees who are pictured in the photo at
                                http://home.earthlink.net/~webdisk4/MITSemployees/MITSemployees.htm .

                                If you're a past employee, please take a look.



                                Steve
                              • mfeberhard
                                Wow. Hairdos.
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 16
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  Wow. Hairdos.
                                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.