PCC-2000

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2007

      OK, I know most of you watch ebay, but for those who don't, here's your chance to see the rare and mythical Pertec PCC-2000.  See ebay item #130142667388  at
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130142667388 .

      In one of the pictures, note the original purchase price of the entire system:
      PCC2000-   $18,995
      Business software- $5,100
      Total-    $24,095

      A few things that I remember about this system are:
      Three of the "included" items were CRT, dual disk drives (Pertec FD514) and a detachable keyboard.  They weren't options, though- that's the only way you could buy the 2000.  The "Text Printer" was most likely an NEC Spinwriter.  It used a sort of modified daisy wheel called a Print Thimble.  A slightly slower (35 or 45 cps) Qume Sprint 3 daisy wheel printer was also available.

      This CRT looks like it has white phosphor.  There was a green phosphor option too.

      The software company would eventually become known as Peachtree Software.

      The PCC-2000 was very heavy because the cabinet was not plastic.  I think it was made of cast aluminum.

      The dual platter 10MB hard drive that was mentioned weighed about 100 pounds and cost about $10K additional.

      Perhaps Tom Sanderson will add more info about this system.