Altair 680 Computer

  • parrishbrick
    Message 1 of 8 , May 7, 2007
      I just listed my Altair 680 for sale on ebay for any one that might be
      interested or know someone who is. I am the original owner and this is
      one of the very first kits built(Jan 1976). This one had an error on
      the silk screen for the motherboard. Two transistors were reversed and
      couldn't have worked that way. I spoke with MITS and they agreed that
      the silk screen did have an error. Serial number is d 11559. Also
      included is a Netronic Keyboard and Power supply, RF Modulator and tons
      of manuals.

      Brick Parrish
      Message 2 of 8 , May 7, 2007
        Brick,

        What's the item number?

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "parrishbrick" <BrickP@...>
        wrote:

        > I just listed my Altair 680 for sale on ebay for any one that might
        be
        > interested or know someone who is. I am the original owner and this
        is
        > one of the very first kits built(Jan 1976). This one had an error on
        > the silk screen for the motherboard. Two transistors were reversed
        and
        > couldn't have worked that way. I spoke with MITS and they agreed that
        > the silk screen did have an error. Serial number is d 11559. Also
        > included is a Netronic Keyboard and Power supply, RF Modulator and
        tons
        > of manuals.
        >
        > Brick Parrish

      • Grant Stockly
        Message 3 of 8 , May 7, 2007
          At 03:49 PM 5/7/2007, you wrote:

          >I just listed my Altair 680 for sale on ebay for any one that might be
          >interested or know someone who is. I am the original owner and this is
          >one of the very first kits built(Jan 1976). This one had an error on
          >the silk screen for the motherboard. Two transistors were reversed and
          >couldn't have worked that way. I spoke with MITS and they agreed that
          >the silk screen did have an error. Serial number is d 11559. Also
          >included is a Netronic Keyboard and Power supply, RF Modulator and tons
          >of manuals.

          I'm interested to know the board revision. Its near the big capacitor in
          the bottom left corner when looking at it form the front. I have one that
          says Rev 1-6X

          Grant
        • H.E.Robert Weir-L.V.C.C.
          Message 4 of 8 , May 8, 2007
            All, the ebay item number is 230127108711

            Just Bob!

            wrote:

            > I just listed my Altair 680 for sale on ebay for any one that might
            be
            > interested or know someone who is. I am the original owner and this
            is
            > one of the very first kits built(Jan 1976). This one had an error on
            > the silk screen for the motherboard. Two transistors were reversed
            and
            > couldn't have worked that way. I spoke with MITS and they agreed that
            > the silk screen did have an error. Serial number is d 11559. Also
            > included is a Netronic Keyboard and Power supply, RF Modulator and
            tons
            > of manuals.
            >
            > Brick Parrish

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:altaircomputerclub-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:altaircomputerclub-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

          • Dan
            Message 5 of 8 , May 9, 2007

              I posted the reply below regarding the engineering change from Brick which he sent to me a couple of days ago.
              He didn't mention which revision motherboard he has.
              I also have rev 1-6X

              It's been a long time since I built the kit, but looking at my notes on page 22 of the construction manual, it concerned Q2 and Q3. The shematic on p.10 of the Theory of Operation manual showed the emitters tied to ground whereas the circuit board itself had the collectors to ground. I called MITS to find out which was right and talked to someone there who told me that the silkscreen was in error and that the emitters should be tied to ground. He asked me what I though he shoud do about it and this is when I suggested he send a postcard out to all who had bought one advising ov the error. A few days later I received a postcard saying to reverse the transistors. I'm surprised this was never mentioned in any of the notes they issued monthly. I never received anything to tell me that there wasn't an error. So, I have been under the impression all these years that there was an error here. I would really like to know why there is a difference between the schematic and the circuit board. Does the top paragraph on p.22 in your manual say "Install the Emitter lead into the hole labelled "e" on the Board?" A quick check with a multimeter should show whether that pin is grounded or not. I'd be interested in what you have to say. My email address is brickp@...
              Thanks,
              Brick Parrish

              =Dan

              parrishbrick wrote:

              I just listed my Altair 680 for sale on ebay for any one that might be
              interested or know someone who is. I am the original owner and this is
              one of the very first kits built(Jan 1976). This one had an error on
              the silk screen for the motherboard. Two transistors were reversed and
              couldn't have worked that way. I spoke with MITS and they agreed that
              the silk screen did have an error. Serial number is d 11559. Also
              included is a Netronic Keyboard and Power supply, RF Modulator and tons
              of manuals.

              Brick Parrish

              No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.467 / Virus Database: 269.6.5/793 - Release Date: 5/7/2007 2:55 PM
            • Dan
              Message 6 of 8 , May 9, 2007

                I forgot to mention that my motherboard, rev 1-6X,  has this error too.
                The transistors are in the Power On Reset circuit.
                Funny thing is, I haven't detected any problem there after all these years.
                Probably because I'm so accustomed to pressing the reset switch on the front panel before I start anything.

                =Dan

                Dan wrote:

                I posted the reply below regarding the engineering change from Brick which he sent to me a couple of days ago.
                He didn't mention which revision motherboard he has.
                I also have rev 1-6X

                ------------ --------- --------- --------- -
                It's been a long time since I built the kit, but looking at my notes on page 22 of the construction manual, it concerned Q2 and Q3. The shematic on p.10 of the Theory of Operation manual showed the emitters tied to ground whereas the circuit board itself had the collectors to ground. I called MITS to find out which was right and talked to someone there who told me that the silkscreen was in error and that the emitters should be tied to ground. He asked me what I though he shoud do about it and this is when I suggested he send a postcard out to all who had bought one advising ov the error. A few days later I received a postcard saying to reverse the transistors. I'm surprised this was never mentioned in any of the notes they issued monthly. I never received anything to tell me that there wasn't an error. So, I have been under the impression all these years that there was an error here. I would really like to know why there is a difference between the schematic and the circuit board. Does the top paragraph on p.22 in your manual say "Install the Emitter lead into the hole labelled "e" on the Board?" A quick check with a multimeter should show whether that pin is grounded or not. I'd be interested in what you have to say. My email address is brickp@hctc. net
                Thanks,
                Brick Parrish
                ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------

                =Dan

                [ My Corner of Cyberspace http://ragooman. home.comcast. net/ ]

              • parrishbrick
                Message 7 of 8 , May 10, 2007
                  Grant,

                  The motherboard on my 680 is Vers 1.6 which must be an earlier version
                  of 1.6X. They must have quietly corrected the silkscreen error by
                  relabeling the CBE holes.

                  Brick
                • Dan
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 10, 2007
                    Brick,

                    I looked closer on my rev 1-6X and I did build this with Q2 and Q3 in
                    reverse position because the silkscreen is incorrect. I didnt look
                    closely the last time I replied. But I just don't recall that far back
                    about any postcard from MITS. I'll have to unpack my manual and see if
                    the assembly instructions are edited anywhere. BTW, I updated my Altair
                    680 page to show this error in the reset circuit(including a photo).
                    http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/computers_altair680.html

                    =Dan