help with board ID

  • Jack Rubin
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 2007
      While rooting around through some old stuff (nothing like a basement
      flood to help motivate things), I came across an old Microsoft ROM-BASIC
      board. The label on the bag says "16K Microsoft Basic in ROM. Expects to
      start at C000 and have an SIO board that uses addresses 16 and 17 hex
      (standard Altair SIO)".

      Along the top of the card, there is a row of 8 AMD 2K ROMs (8316E) and
      two I/0 connectors (J1 and J2), one on each corner. There are two
      8-position rocker switches on it - SW1 sets baud rate, SW2 is "sense".
      In spite of the reference to an SIO board, the board also has a 6850
      ACIA and a 1488/89 combo so it looks like it can do serial I/O directly.
      The board is solder-masked and silk screened but other than component
      IDs and a serial number, there is no identification on it. ROM date
      codes are early 1978, consistent with other chips.

      Is this one of the Altair BASIC ROM boards? If so which one? If not,
      what is it?

      Thanks!

      Jack

      4/4/2007 1:09 PM
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5, 2007
        The 88-RBM2 (ROM BASIC Memory 2) provides MITS 16K Extended Cassette
        BASIC in ROM in the upper 16K of main memory, leaving the bottom 48K
        free for system RAM.

        Features:
        -Autostart (it runs BASIC upon POC or reset),

        -RS232 or TTL I/O hardwired to ports octal 20 and octal 21 (hex 10
        and hex 11) (A separate I/O card shouldn't be necessary).

        -ROMs are hard addressed to 140000 (C000) thru 177777 (FFFF).

        This board worked very well and I don't recall that it had any
        problems worth mentioning. It wouldn't do disc I/O, unfortunately,
        but could load programs from and save to cassette.

        Check your email, Jack.

        Steve

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Rubin"