RE: [Altair Computer Club] 88-MU-1

  • H.E.Robert
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 12, 2006
      Hey Grant,

      I would be interested, but the board would be a waste of your valuable
      time, if the specialized software, was not readily available. I don't
      remember ever seeing or hearing one in operation, but I would imagine
      it to sound MOOG'ish, (if that's a word?), since that's around the same
      time that Walter, now (Wendy) Carlos, we won't get into that here, way
      off topic for this list, was hitting the Classical seen with the
      Switched On Bach series, as well as providing most of the music for
      The movie, A Clockwork Orange.

      Other Boards that may have a audience, are the 88-VI/RTC, and
      The process control and A/D conversion series?

      Just Bob!

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 12, 2006
        Altair "Music BASIC" had special commands, e.g., for note pitch and
        length, to make use of the MU-1's features. The board had 3
        audio channels, so you could compose polyphonic tunes. I didn't do
        much programming for it other than just goofing around, but the
        samples that came with the BASIC sounded pretty good- kind of like a
        lot of simple MIDI tunes sound. I think "Ode to Joy" was one of
        them, and "Liberty Bell March" (Monty Python's theme) was another.

        There was a version of the Star Trek game that had sound effects
        (phasers, torpedos, warp, explosion, ...) via the MU-1. I think it
        used "regular" BASIC to generate the sounds.

        Steve

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Grant Stockly <grant@...>