Re: 88-MU-1

  • jack99rubin
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 12, 2006
      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Grant Stockly <grant@...>
      wrote:

      > I was loaned an 88-MU-1 bare PCB from Jack Rubin. I take it this
      card is rare?

      > If I were to duplicate it, would there be any interest in it? I
      have no
      > idea what it sounds like or what ICs are involved, but I love music
      and I
      > love finding new things for the Altair to do! :)
      >
      > I found a description from the designer here:
      >
      > http://www.riptiderealtime.com/88mu1.htm

      Call him!!

      > Any chance anyone here remembers how it worked? I think the first
      step
      > would be to obtain the users manual so that I can find out if all
      of the
      > parts are available at a reasonable price.

      Steve (our host here) lists the manual on his web page -
      http://home.earthlink.net/~steveshepard/MITSmanuals/MANUAL.htm

      best,
      Jack
    • H.E.Robert
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 12, 2006
        Hey Grant,

        I would be interested, but the board would be a waste of your valuable
        time, if the specialized software, was not readily available. I don't
        remember ever seeing or hearing one in operation, but I would imagine
        it to sound MOOG'ish, (if that's a word?), since that's around the same
        time that Walter, now (Wendy) Carlos, we won't get into that here, way
        off topic for this list, was hitting the Classical seen with the
        Switched On Bach series, as well as providing most of the music for
        The movie, A Clockwork Orange.

        Other Boards that may have a audience, are the 88-VI/RTC, and
        The process control and A/D conversion series?

        Just Bob!

        I was loaned an 88-MU-1 bare PCB from Jack Rubin. I take it this card is
        rare?

        If I were to duplicate it, would there be any interest in it? I have no
        idea what it sounds like or what ICs are involved, but I love music and I
        love finding new things for the Altair to do! :)

        I found a description from the designer here:

        http://www.riptiderealtime.com/88mu1.htm

        Any chance anyone here remembers how it worked? I think the first step
        would be to obtain the users manual so that I can find out if all of the
        parts are available at a reasonable price.

        If anyone does have one of these and would be willing to type in all of the
        IC names, I would appreciate it. OR a scan of the schematics would be
        great.

        Thanks,
        Grant

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 12, 2006
          Altair "Music BASIC" had special commands, e.g., for note pitch and
          length, to make use of the MU-1's features. The board had 3
          audio channels, so you could compose polyphonic tunes. I didn't do
          much programming for it other than just goofing around, but the
          samples that came with the BASIC sounded pretty good- kind of like a
          lot of simple MIDI tunes sound. I think "Ode to Joy" was one of
          them, and "Liberty Bell March" (Monty Python's theme) was another.

          There was a version of the Star Trek game that had sound effects
          (phasers, torpedos, warp, explosion, ...) via the MU-1. I think it
          used "regular" BASIC to generate the sounds.

          Steve