88-MU-1

  • Grant Stockly
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 12, 2006
      I was loaned an 88-MU-1 bare PCB from Jack Rubin. I take it this card is rare?

      If I were to duplicate it, would there be any interest in it? I have no
      idea what it sounds like or what ICs are involved, but I love music and I
      love finding new things for the Altair to do! :)

      I found a description from the designer here:

      http://www.riptiderealtime.com/88mu1.htm

      Any chance anyone here remembers how it worked? I think the first step
      would be to obtain the users manual so that I can find out if all of the
      parts are available at a reasonable price.

      If anyone does have one of these and would be willing to type in all of the
      IC names, I would appreciate it. OR a scan of the schematics would be great.

      Thanks,
      Grant
    • jack99rubin
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 12, 2006
        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Grant Stockly <grant@...>
        wrote:

        > I was loaned an 88-MU-1 bare PCB from Jack Rubin. I take it this
        card is rare?

        > If I were to duplicate it, would there be any interest in it? I
        have no
        > idea what it sounds like or what ICs are involved, but I love music
        and I
        > love finding new things for the Altair to do! :)
        >
        > I found a description from the designer here:
        >
        > http://www.riptiderealtime.com/88mu1.htm

        Call him!!

        > Any chance anyone here remembers how it worked? I think the first
        step
        > would be to obtain the users manual so that I can find out if all
        of the
        > parts are available at a reasonable price.

        Steve (our host here) lists the manual on his web page -
        http://home.earthlink.net/~steveshepard/MITSmanuals/MANUAL.htm

        best,
        Jack
      • H.E.Robert
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 12, 2006
          Hey Grant,

          I would be interested, but the board would be a waste of your valuable
          time, if the specialized software, was not readily available. I don't
          remember ever seeing or hearing one in operation, but I would imagine
          it to sound MOOG'ish, (if that's a word?), since that's around the same
          time that Walter, now (Wendy) Carlos, we won't get into that here, way
          off topic for this list, was hitting the Classical seen with the
          Switched On Bach series, as well as providing most of the music for
          The movie, A Clockwork Orange.

          Other Boards that may have a audience, are the 88-VI/RTC, and
          The process control and A/D conversion series?

          Just Bob!

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 12, 2006
            Altair "Music BASIC" had special commands, e.g., for note pitch and
            length, to make use of the MU-1's features. The board had 3
            audio channels, so you could compose polyphonic tunes. I didn't do
            much programming for it other than just goofing around, but the
            samples that came with the BASIC sounded pretty good- kind of like a
            lot of simple MIDI tunes sound. I think "Ode to Joy" was one of
            them, and "Liberty Bell March" (Monty Python's theme) was another.

            There was a version of the Star Trek game that had sound effects
            (phasers, torpedos, warp, explosion, ...) via the MU-1. I think it
            used "regular" BASIC to generate the sounds.

            Steve