Evil DRAM cards

  • Grant Stockly
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 22, 2006
      Everyone has told me to stay away from the MITS DRAM cards. There are two
      kinds of DRAM cards. The kind with the ram chips along the top edge and
      the kind with them on one side.

      I was haing a discussion with a fellow Altair fan about the MITS memory
      boards. Are the boards with the RAM chips along the side good and
      reliable? Those were the ones that had proper refresh circuitry and didn't
      hold the wait line hostage? Where they stable for examine/deposit?

      Thanks,
      Grant
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 26, 2006
        Grant-
        The 88-S4K "Synchronous" 4K Dynamic board (the one with the 8 memory
        chips along the right edge) was supposed to have addressed the
        refresh problems of the earlier 4MCD 4K dynamic (with the chips
        across the top), but didn't do a very good job of it. None of the
        Altair dynamic boards were very reliable. The 4K static was good,
        and the 16K static was the best of all. If you want to reproduce a
        MITS RAM card, I would strongly suggest a static type.

        Steve

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Grant Stockly <grant@...>