Re: [Altair Computer Club] 88-PPG

  • H.E.Robert
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 21, 2006
      Grant,

      I have one, I would be willing to lone to you for a short period, will
      you be needing the the 1702's
      that support the operation of the unit that are located on the 88-PMC?

      Just Bob!

      Grant Stockly wrote:

      >I am looking for an 88-PPG set to borrow to assist in designing the
      >cassette bootstrap rom code.
      >
      >If anyone has one of these to spare for a week or two I would be glad to
      >give you your choice of reproduction Altair cards! :) (88-ACR, 88-PMC,
      >88-2SIO, CPU, 88-MCS, 88-4MCS, etc) If you want a deposit to hold while
      >awaiting its safe return, that would be OK too!
      >
      >In case you missed it, I am the creator of the reproduction Altair Kit
      >(http://www.altairkit.com)
      >
      >Also looking for Altair cassette tapes. :)
      >
      >Thanks!
      >
      >Grant
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Grant Stockly
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 21, 2006
        At 05:36 AM 11/21/2006, you wrote:

        >Grant,
        >
        >I have one, I would be willing to lone to you for a short period, will
        >you be needing the the 1702's
        >that support the operation of the unit that are located on the 88-PMC?

        I have a source for the 1702s. It won't be hard for me to interface the
        88-PPC (someone told me it was PPC, not PPG) to a Windows computer. I've
        written macros to bootstrap the Altair into basic (computer fakes a paper
        tape reader at 19200) and then macros control basic into doing whatever I
        want. :)

        I used this setup to read disk images off of the Altair. If anyone is
        interested in the disk image software, I could make it available. It isn't
        done yet because I haven't added the ability to write images TO the altair,
        but the images it reads work fine in Altair32! :)

        Grant
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 21, 2006
          "88-PPG" is the programmer.
          "PPC" and "PPD" are the two 1702 chips that are needed to operate the
          PPG.

          steve
          =============================

          --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Grant Stockly <grant@...>
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 21, 2006
            At 06:26 PM 11/21/2006, you wrote:

            >"88-PPG" is the programmer.
            >"PPC" and "PPD" are the two 1702 chips that are needed to operate the
            >PPG.
            >
            >steve

            Thanks. :) So the PPC, PPD, and possible source ROM are located on the
            88-PMC PROM Memory Card. The 88-PPG PROM programmer connects with a DB25
            ribbon cable to a box with a ZIF socket.

            Did I get all that right? Whew! That's quite a few Ps! :)

            Grant
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 22, 2006
              Yes, that's right, but let me rewrite your statement to be a little
              more accurate.

              The PPC, PPD, and source ROM are located on the 88-PMC PROM Memory
              Card. The 88-PPG PROM programmer's interface board (plugged into the
              Altair's mother board) connects with a DB25 ribbon cable to the
              external PPG box, which has a ZIF socket for the blank chip that's to
              be programmed.

              By the way, I found it very helpful to place another ZIF socket on
              the PMC card where the PROM to be copied goes (socked "D", I think).
              It's much easier to insert and remove the source chip, and avoids
              bent pins.

              Steve