88-PPG

  • Grant Stockly
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 21, 2006
      I am looking for an 88-PPG set to borrow to assist in designing the
      cassette bootstrap rom code.

      If anyone has one of these to spare for a week or two I would be glad to
      give you your choice of reproduction Altair cards! :) (88-ACR, 88-PMC,
      88-2SIO, CPU, 88-MCS, 88-4MCS, etc) If you want a deposit to hold while
      awaiting its safe return, that would be OK too!

      In case you missed it, I am the creator of the reproduction Altair Kit
      (http://www.altairkit.com)

      Also looking for Altair cassette tapes. :)

      Thanks!

      Grant
    • H.E.Robert
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 21, 2006
        Grant,

        I have one, I would be willing to lone to you for a short period, will
        you be needing the the 1702's
        that support the operation of the unit that are located on the 88-PMC?

        Just Bob!

        Grant Stockly wrote:

        >I am looking for an 88-PPG set to borrow to assist in designing the
        >cassette bootstrap rom code.
        >
        >If anyone has one of these to spare for a week or two I would be glad to
        >give you your choice of reproduction Altair cards! :) (88-ACR, 88-PMC,
        >88-2SIO, CPU, 88-MCS, 88-4MCS, etc) If you want a deposit to hold while
        >awaiting its safe return, that would be OK too!
        >
        >In case you missed it, I am the creator of the reproduction Altair Kit
        >(http://www.altairkit.com)
        >
        >Also looking for Altair cassette tapes. :)
        >
        >Thanks!
        >
        >Grant
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Grant Stockly
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 21, 2006
          At 05:36 AM 11/21/2006, you wrote:

          >Grant,
          >
          >I have one, I would be willing to lone to you for a short period, will
          >you be needing the the 1702's
          >that support the operation of the unit that are located on the 88-PMC?

          I have a source for the 1702s. It won't be hard for me to interface the
          88-PPC (someone told me it was PPC, not PPG) to a Windows computer. I've
          written macros to bootstrap the Altair into basic (computer fakes a paper
          tape reader at 19200) and then macros control basic into doing whatever I
          want. :)

          I used this setup to read disk images off of the Altair. If anyone is
          interested in the disk image software, I could make it available. It isn't
          done yet because I haven't added the ability to write images TO the altair,
          but the images it reads work fine in Altair32! :)

          Grant
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 21, 2006
            "88-PPG" is the programmer.
            "PPC" and "PPD" are the two 1702 chips that are needed to operate the
            PPG.

            steve
            =============================

            --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Grant Stockly <grant@...>
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 21, 2006
              At 06:26 PM 11/21/2006, you wrote:

              >"88-PPG" is the programmer.
              >"PPC" and "PPD" are the two 1702 chips that are needed to operate the
              >PPG.
              >
              >steve

              Thanks. :) So the PPC, PPD, and possible source ROM are located on the
              88-PMC PROM Memory Card. The 88-PPG PROM programmer connects with a DB25
              ribbon cable to a box with a ZIF socket.

              Did I get all that right? Whew! That's quite a few Ps! :)

              Grant
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 22, 2006
                Yes, that's right, but let me rewrite your statement to be a little
                more accurate.

                The PPC, PPD, and source ROM are located on the 88-PMC PROM Memory
                Card. The 88-PPG PROM programmer's interface board (plugged into the
                Altair's mother board) connects with a DB25 ribbon cable to the
                external PPG box, which has a ZIF socket for the blank chip that's to
                be programmed.

                By the way, I found it very helpful to place another ZIF socket on
                the PMC card where the PROM to be copied goes (socked "D", I think).
                It's much easier to insert and remove the source chip, and avoids
                bent pins.

                Steve