i need some help

  • jfreek82mike
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 11, 2006
      ok i have in my posesion an altair 680 with sn c11375 in excelent
      shape. i also have all the documentation in the binder that came with
      it, along with the popular electronics issue fron november 1975. i
      aquired the altair from my fathers recent death. i am well awaire of
      what i have but cant find any price guides. can someone tell me how
      much this would be worth. and where i could go about seling it if i
      decieded to?

      thank you very much
    • eriksklein
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 11, 2006
        Hello Mike,

        First of all, my condolences on the loss of your father.

        As described, the Altair 680 is probably worth between $1,000 and
        $2,000. It could go higher on an auction site such as eBay if two or
        more people engaged in a bidding war on it. Of course, it could stay
        lower if it doesn't generate sufficient interest (a good reserve, if
        you use eBay, is a good idea.)

        You might be able to squeeze a bit more out of it if you could prove
        that it is fully functional or if it has some particularly rare or
        interesting cards installed.

        As for where to sell it, I'd suggest either the aforementioned eBay or
        an enthusiast site such as mine (www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum) or
        the Vintage Computer Marketplace (marketplace.vintage.org)

        If you'd prefer not to ship you can always use your local Craigslist
        and hope for the best. :)

        Good luck with the sale. I wish I could afford to make an offer
        myself!

        Erik Klein
        www.vintage-computer.com
        www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum
        The Vintage Computer Forums

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "jfreek82mike"
        <jfreek82@...> wrote:

        > ok i have in my posesion an altair 680 with sn c11375 in excelent
        > shape. i also have all the documentation in the binder that came
        with
        > it, along with the popular electronics issue fron november 1975. i
        > aquired the altair from my fathers recent death. i am well awaire of
        > what i have but cant find any price guides. can someone tell me how
        > much this would be worth. and where i could go about seling it if i
        > decieded to?
        >

        > thank you very much

      • Dave Freeman
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 13, 2006
          A 680 is a very nice piece of computer history and it is relatively short supply.
          Please consider options of donating it to a museum such as The PC Museum (www.thepcmuseum.net).
          We are in the process of opening a new museum in North Carolina and we do not have a 680 at this time.
          If you want to sell your computer we would be interested in purchasing it for $1500 to 2000 depending on
          the condition and the completeness of the system and accessory items.
          Thanks,
          Enjoy your computer and thanks for sharing your story with us.
          Dave Freeman
          President
          The PC Museum

          the