Re: My Altairs shown at OVGE

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 24, 2006
      Excellent! You have quite a nice stable of Altairs.

      ======================

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, charles_pearson
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Back in May I brought two of my Altair 680's to a PC hardware class
      > show my classmates what computers were like thirty years ago. The
      > response by my classmates was muted, at best, but when I posted the
      > event on my Digital Press and Atari Age blogs, a lot of people were
      > thrilled (here's a link
      > <http://ubikuberalles.livejournal.com/15002.html> to the entry on
      my
      > LiveJournal blog). One online friend thought it was so cool that he
      > invited me to bring my Altairs to the Oklahoma Video GameExhibition
      > (OVGE <http://ovge.com/> ) on August 19th. He even bought an extra
      six
      > foot table at the show so I could display more than just one
      machine. I
      > agreed to his offer and showed up at Tulsa with four Altairs (a
      680b,
      > 680b turnkey, 8800 and an 8800b) and other equipment.
      >
      > Here is a picture of my setup at the show (click on the picture for
      > bigger view):
      >
      > [Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting] <http://photobucket.com/>
      >
      > Another picture of the setup with my ADM 5 terminal displaying the
      game
      > of Star Trek:
      >
      > [Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting]
      <http://photobucket.com/>

      > I don't have a working floppy drive for my Altairs but I do have
      Altair
      > Extended Basic on ROM. Thus, I was able to upload Startrek on the
      Altair
      > via a terminal program from my laptop.
      >
      > Although most of the showgoers gave the Altairs a cursory glance,
      there
      > were a number of people who were fascinated by the machines and
      asked me
      > a lot of questions. A couple of my online friends were there and
      they
      > thought it was cool to see: for many it was the first time they
      ever saw
      > an Altair in person. Overall I'd say my display was a success and
      I'm
      > glad I took them to Tulsa. I posted a couple entries about the show
      on
      > my blogs and I got a good response. Here's a link
      > <http://ubikuberalles.livejournal.com/23259.html> to my first blog
      > entry on LiveJournal and a link
      > <http://ubikuberalles.livejournal.com/23379.html> to the second
      post if
      > you want to see more pictures of the show and myAltair setup. Earl,
      the
      > friend who invited me to OVGE, also posted about the show in his
      blog.
      > <http://www.thelogbook.com/earl/2006/08/20/ovge-2006-photos/#more-
      391>

      > Until this year, I've always been a spectator to the shows I've
      visited
      > (CGE <http://www.cgexpo.com/> is the show I go to most often). So
      it
      > was nice to contribute to these events. I hope you enjoyed my pics.
      > Sorry it took so long to post here about it.

    • charles_pearson
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alltare@...> wrote:

        > Excellent! You have quite a nice stable of Altairs.
        >
        > ======================

        Thanks! That's not even my entire collection. In addition to the four
        Altairs I brought to the show, I have another Altair 680b Turnkey, an
        Altair 8800a and additional 8800b (although most of the front panel
        switches on that machine are busted). I also have a couple Altair Hard
        Disk Controllers but neither of them have cables or S-100 cards for
        the Altairs. Mostly my collection sits on some shelves in my spare
        bedroom but every once in a while I power up the 8800 to play a game
        of StarTrek for old times sake.

        Oops, sorry for the brag but I thought I'd just share what I have on hand.
      • Dr. Larry Pyeatt
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2006
          Hello all,
          I need a drive door for one of my Pertec 8" drives. If anyone
          else is
          interested, I can have several made. So, if your drive door is broken
          and you want a replacement, please let me know how many you need.
          I can get up to 25 made, and the more I make the cheaper they are.
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2006
            Larry,

            I have a few questions.

            1) Are we talking about the door only, or the entire front consisting
            of door, bezel, and latch?

            2) Black (for FD500 drives) or white (for FD400s)?

            3) Will the silver trim strip be installed or available?

            4) Can you tell us approximate price per unit?

            Steve
            ==============================

            --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Larry Pyeatt"
            <pyeatt@...> wrote:

            > Hello all,
            > I need a drive door for one of my Pertec 8" drives. If anyone
            > else is
            > interested, I can have several made. So, if your drive door is broken
            > and you want a replacement, please let me know how many you need.
            > I can get up to 25 made, and the more I make the cheaper they are.

          • Larry D. Pyeatt
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 2006
              I'm trying to get the doors and bezels' but could make latches as well.
              I'm going for black, but could also have some done in white. I'm still
              looking for a good, cheap replacement for the silver trim strip. I'll
              probably have some cut in a local sheetmetal shop.

              I'm aiming for under $50 per unit, and maybe even down to $25. I've
              found a few companies that can do small runs, and I'm waiting for
              quotes. It will help to know (potentially) how many need to be produced.
              From the response I have so far, I'm looking at between 10-20 units
              already. How many would you want, assuming I can get the price
              down to a reasonable range?

              --
              Larry D. Pyeatt, PhD.
              pyeatt@...