868RE: [Altair Computer Club] value of computers??

  • Erik Klein
    Nov 13, 2005
      The easy answer is that what you have has value.

      I sincerely doubt that the Smithsonian or any of the other computer-specific
      museums want or need another Altair, but you never know.

      Paul Allen is working on a museum in Albuquerque NM that isn't quite done
      yet. They have an 8800, but they may not have the same depth to their
      collection that, say, the Computer History Museum in Mountain View does.

      At the moment Altair systems seem to be going in the $3K range, plus or
      minus, with more complete, functional systems going higher. If you've got
      the Teletype and boxes, along with what you'd otherwise expect (original
      assembly and use documentation, mainly, but other docs, peripherals, etc.)
      then you should easily be able to realize more from the machine. The
      original box(es), believe it or not, will probably add hundreds.

      The system sounds like a gem. I hope you consider keeping it as it sounds
      like it has sentimental value to you. If you don't, I'm sure that there are
      collectors out there that will treasure it as you did.

      All the best,

      Erik Klein

      www.vintage-computer.com <http://www.vintage-computer.com/>

      www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum