435Re: [Altair Computer Club] Re: Newbie

  • Erik Klein
    Mar 1, 2004
      Which store in Mountain View was it? I work off of Castro and would be curious if I'd ever passed it and missed the old box.

      I've seen similar memory issues on my machines before. One possible issue could be a simple short in the bus. If one of the memory lines is shorted to another tied high or low then you might see a "stuck bit' situation.

      BTW, only some of the messages in this thread are making it to my inbox for some reason. I never did see your original post. . .

      Erik Klein
      The Vintage Computer Forum

      caljer <caljer@...> wrote:
      Thx Steve. Exactly, window dressing!
      I try to run the small addition program from the manual, but as I
      said in my first post, whatever I deposit in a memory location has
      bit D4 ON. (i.e. if I Deposit 00 000 000, I get 00 010 000 when I
      Examine) So I have to check the wiring. I already cleaned the edge
      connectors. The wiring is a little more involved...
      Any other idea for this kind of behavior?

      I posted a higher def pic of the wire wrap board. The board has an
      UART TMS 6011 and two 555. I believe that it was wired as a dual
      function tape recorder interface and serial interface. But it's a
      guess based on connectors as well as schematics in the binder.

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alltare@y...>
      > Thanks for posting the pictures. Your computer looks pretty
      > Was the music store using it for anything other than a blinky-light
      > window dressing? Have you been able to run any programs on it
      > What's the function of the blue wire wrap board in the pictures
      > labeled "MyAltair8800_10" and "MyAltair8800_11"?
      > Steve
      > ==========================
      > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "caljer" <caljer@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > I'm the proud owner of a MITS Altair 8800 serial# 222027K
      > > sometime in 2003. I got it from a music store in Mountain View,
      > > The computer was on display in the store window among various
      > > intruments and with its LEDs blinking. I had to look several
      > > make sure it was not some kind of fake computer. Kind of a chock,
      > > being a member of the Computer History Museum in Mountain View.
      > > <http://www.computerhistory.com>. I can now brag about it ;-)
      > >
      > > Anyway I have it now and it was sitting in my garage until today.
      > > tested it (looks like one bit is stuck in ON when I deposit and
      > > examine a memory position). It's kind of fun to read the manual
      > > play with this toy. Reminds me my early computer day with the PET
      > > Commodore and the Apple II. Documentation was included with lots
      > > notes and schematics.
      > > I shot some pictures and posted them in the Photos section here.
      > >
      > > Enjoy and let me know waht you think of this baby,
      > >
      > > Jerome

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      To visit your group on the web, go to: