      From: tkaragiris@... [altairco...

      Date: Sat, Jul 26, 2014 8:53 PM

      To: altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com;

      Subject:[Altair Computer Club] Re: Strange discovery with stop + reset, run and Bytesaver

      Bill,

      If you'd like to try the monitor I've uploaded it to the files section.  I've created a folder called tkaragiris, it has the source code that I modified to build the 1k monitor and the bin version which runs at E000.  One thing I noticed that was missing from this monitor was the initialization code for the Motorola 6850.  So I've added that  too, although I haven't tested that yet.

      A little background is necessary to explain what I mean.  I have two serial cards: SSMIO4 and the MITS 88-2SIO.  The two serial cards work exactly the same in terms of MITS software, but the SSMIO4 doesn't require any software initialization like the 88-2SIO does.   When I first tried the Altair ROM monitor using the SSMIO4 it worked fine.  You'd power the machine up, hit stop and reset, address the rom monitor and run.  All worked.  When I tried it with the 88-2SIO, I found that it didn't wo rk unless I first entered the 8 byte initialization code for the 6850.  Then it worked fine.  And later when I went through the source code of the original monitor I noticed that it didn't contain the 6850 initialization code.  So I've now added it.  So far I've tested the 1k monitor with the SSMIO4 and it seems to work fine.  But I  haven't yet got around to testing it with the 88-2SIO yet, as I don't have that card installed at the moment.

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic