3806Re: [Altair Computer Club] Re: Looking for bootable disks for Altair 8800bt + Micropolis 1053 II drive

    Jul 5, 2014
      I can spare a couple of 16 sector floppies if you don't have any luck finding any. I know a few other people on this forum that have them, but they may not have enough spare diskettes to want to sell any.

      In the meantime, I'd also make sure your hub bearings are OK and your door latch mechanism works. Can you easily insert a floppy, close the door, then release the door and remove the floppy? The door latch cam mechanism in these drives needs lots of grease to remain functional. I've also had several Micropolis drives with bad hub bearings. Slide the drive belt off and turn the big hub wheel with your hand. Does it turn freely or do you feel detents or friction as you turn it?

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic