3720Brainiac, Geniac, Tiniac computers

  • alltare
    Mar 31, 2014
      Entirely off of the subject of Altairs, but I know that at least a few of you have some interest in these "computers".  Edmund C. Berkely devised the simple electromechanical devices in the 1950s as educational tools to teach Boolean algebra and computer operation.  He ultimately published a book containing the circuits and mechanical design of all of his various machines, entitled "Brainiacs Manuals".  The original books are fairly rare and have recently sold for as much as $500.  However, there is a print-on-demand reprint available now for only $15.  It's published by Gyan Books in India.  I bought my copy through Advanced Book Exchange in the US(abebooks.com), but I suppose you can order direct from Gyan, too.  The reprint has 244 pages and hard cover.  Gyan says they have processed it for making more readable, whatever that means.  My copy is very clear.

      Advanced Book Exchange:

      Gyan Books, India:

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic