1848Re: Altair Anniversary

  • sonicpt
    Jan 15, 2010
      Steve and KB,

      I am anxiously awaiting your word from the Museum. Believe it or not, I did some work 10 years ago when thinking about trying to organize a 25 year reunion of Altair employees, dealers and users. I got info from the hotel (then Airport Marina) where the first WACC was held, and attempted to reach Ed Roberts. I thought that it was important for him to "bless" and hopefully attend such an event, but he never answered my letter. With that, I lost interest. I was at the WACC in 1976, and would love to see that event held again, a "WACC II". Albuquerque is the logical place, and the now Albuquerque Grand Airport Hotel would be cool. Its not too far from the old MITS factory. The hardest part is picking a date. That was why I tried to talk to Ed first. Any date selected is good for some, and impossible for others. (For me, anything before May 2010 would be difficult to attend.)The date selected might make or break the event. If the date fits, maybe Bill Gates would attend! (I wish I could find my photos of him at the first WACC!)

      Hey steve, Did I ever ask you if you knew a MITS sales guys named David Carey?

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "steve" <alltare@...> wrote:

      > Sonicpt,
      >
      > About four years ago when it first opened, the STARTUP computer history gallery (a wing of the NM Museum of Natural History and Science) had tentative plans to sponsor a reunion of the MITS employees as well as a festival of some sort. As recently as a year ago, there was still some discussion along those lines, but I haven't heard anything about it since then, so I've put in a call to the museum's director seeking information. As soon as I hear back from her, I'll let you know what's up.
      >
      > The 20-year reunion back in 1995 was a big hit. Ed Roberts, Paul Allen, and a bunch of other VIPs attended, and there was a huge collection of Altair equipment on display to the public. The local magazine that sponsored it, Computer Scene Magazine, is long gone, so it's unlikely that there will be a similar 35th year event in Albuquerque unless the Museum comes through.
      >
      > I haven't heard of any other cities or museums that have specifically targeted such a celebration, nor have I heard from any magazines or newspapers on the subject.
      >
      > It looks like the Altair is suffering the same fate as the slide rule and the HP-35. It's getting old enough that most people have simply forgotten about it. (I still have all 3 of those items, and still enjoy playing with them now and then. Slide rules are an absolute mystery to teenagers today).

      > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "sonicpt" <sonicpt@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I guess we have lived to see the 35th anniversary of the Altair. Does anyone know of any events or articles celebrating such? I still regret not knowing about the MITS 20th reunion until well after the event. (I was a MITS Altair dealer.)

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic