1351[Altair Computer Club] Re: Disk Drive

  • ueoguy
    Dec 20, 2007
      Grant, et al

      I'm a bit late in responding to your post, but I have a bit of info
      that might be of use. With regards to Pertec drives, the FD400 series
      was the DC direct drive motor version used in the single disk DCDD
      configuration, which was prone to a lot of heat related problems,
      bridge rectifiers on the PS board melting the traces off the board,
      and a stalled servo drive motor tended to fry the Tip 110/120
      transistors on the drive itself, and overheating the motor windings.

      The FD500 series was more like the Shugart drives, with a belt drive,
      and AC drive motor. They are most commonly found in the Dual disk
      enclosure, and supplied with systems like the MITS 300 Business
      System. That enclosure had an improved buffer board design, and even
      the System controller boards used IDC cable and connectors, a much
      cleaner design inside the Altair.

      I would really like to see a Shugart drive running on an Altair, but I
      believe the only version that might work, is the SA-800-1"R". The "R"
      suffix drives are the only ones that support "Hard Sectoring". The
      SA-800-1 is soft sectored only, and has no jumpers for selecting the
      number of sectors, 8, 16, 32.

      Another side comment, the Siemens 8" drives are supposed to be a
      Shugart clone, so they may work as well!

      Just Bob!

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Grant Stockly <grant@...>
      wrote:

      > At 01:28 PM 11/5/2007, you wrote:
      >
      > >Ten or 15 years ago, Bottom Line Industries sold Pertec drives and
      > >parts, but they may be out of business now. Even then, I think they
      > >were asking ~$500 for an 8" drive. This info may still be correct:
      >
      > I've found them so far for $199 to $595 to $1200. (1200 being new
      in box)

      > What is a drive worth to you guys? Its going to be about $899 -
      > $1299 if I try...and if I do it will be a very hands on project. :
      > ) It may be too labourous to pack the kits, so I might just package
      > the case, PCBs, and rare parts. Let people find their own
      > drive... In case/PCBs/rare parts it will be in the $500-600 range.
      >
      > From my initial investigations it seems that the drives (the FD510)
      > are not rare, just expensive.
      >
      > Grant

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic