1083Re: [Altair Computer Club] Altair 680 CSAVE Problems!@ : (

  • Tom Sanderson
    Jan 2, 2007
      The change to CSAVE syntax is described in an article titled "Software
      Tidbits" by Mark Chamberlin. See Computer Notes, April 1977, page
      three, 2. Using CSAVE and CLOAD in 8800 BASIC 4.0.

      It looks the the change was made in Altair 8800 BASIC 4.0. The same
      change appears to be in:

      MITS ALTAIR 680 BASIC VERSION 1.1 REV 3.2
      --KCACR--
      COPYRIGHT 1976 BY MITS INC

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alltare@...> wrote:

      > Sometimes you gotta read those manuals between the lines. It may
      > help you to know that 680 BASIC is essentially the same as Altair
      > 8800 8K BASIC, rev 3.
      >
      > All BASICs were backward compatable to a great extent. For
      > example, Altair disk BASIC and Hard Disk BASIC (and even IBM PC
      > BASIC) retained the CSAVE and CLOAD commands. Sometimes, a better
      > description of a command might be found in the manual for another
      > version of BASIC.
      >
      > Steve
      > =============================
      >
      > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Grant Stockly <grant@>
      > wrote:
      > >

      > > >Yeah, CSAVE"A" should work.
      > > >
      > > >Unlike the MSBASIC, PC BASIC, GW BASIC, and other BASICs that came
      > > >later for the IBM PC, Altair BASIC wasn't finicky about spaces in
      > > >commands, so it would treat these the same:
      > > >CSAVE"A"
      > > >CSAVE "A"
      > >

      > > CSAVE"A" worked guys... I was going by the file
      > > "MITS_Altair_680b_BASIC_Manual.pdf" for the syntax on "CSAVE
      > A". ; )
      > >
      > > Sure is fun playing with these old things. : )
      > >
      > > Grant

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic