Welcome all!

  • Dan Fabulich
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 18, 2001
      The game was a simple port from an old IBM PC game. I'll probably
      upload a copy of the original to our files section if there's some
      demand for it.

      I knew I was in love with the game ever since the first time I played:
      I died in childhood, kidnapped and tortured to death. No other game
      has consequences like that.

      Sure, there are problems with the game. It's quite harsh on drug
      users, and seeing a psychiatrist is always the best choice. Still, it
      creates a very highly plausible world.

      This is because no game has ever been built the way Alter Ego was
      built:

      THE MAKING OF ALTER EGO

      In order to provide players with a cross section of experiences from
      life in general, rather than the author's life alone, Alter Ego's
      creator, psychologist Dr. Peter J. Favaro, interviewed hundreds of men
      and women about their most memorable life experiences. He examined
      the interviews and looked for common experiences, then chose the
      experiences that many people shared.

      The scoring in Alter Ego is based on evaluations by Dr. Favaro and a
      group of fellow psychologists. In Dr. Favaro's own words, "We feel
      that from any one response, it is almost impossible to give an
      accurate picture of someone. We also feel that, given the fact that a
      person makes several HUNDRED responses while playing Alter Ego, we
      have a better chance of guessing what that person might be like."

      There's truly no other game like it. Not even Mind Mirror, Timothy
      Leary's attempt at a similar game, stands up to Alter Ego. Some of
      this is due to Favaro's snappy writing, but much of it has to do with
      the interviews themselves. Some of the events of this game are so
      weird, yet so obviously real, that you know that they couldn't
      possibly be made up.

      Little twists, like turning you down for certain high-paying jobs if
      your Ethics score is too high, give this game a replay value that
      almost no other game can match, in gender-bending alone. [Did you
      know that the male and female versions of this game are entirely
      separate, and have many completely different vignettes?]

      How about you? What happened to you in the game? What vignettes
      would you like to see? [We can add more in if we like!]

      -Dan

      -unless you love someone-
      -nothing else makes any sense-
      e.e. cummings
    • xamfear1
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 18, 2001
        Yup, loved the game; Also loved (from the same period of time) The
        Novel/Game 'portal' What a unique experience are both games. I have
        long wanted to bring portal to life on the web, and may do so now,
        after seeing the wonderfull work you have done with AE.
        Great work and thanks for the fun!
        -Xam
        --- In alt-ego@y..., Dan Fabulich <daniel.fabulich@y...> wrote:

        > The game was a simple port from an old IBM PC game. I'll probably
        > upload a copy of the original to our files section if there's some
        > demand for it.
        >
        > I knew I was in love with the game ever since the first time I
        played:
        > I died in childhood, kidnapped and tortured to death. No other game
        > has consequences like that.
        >
        > Sure, there are problems with the game. It's quite harsh on drug
        > users, and seeing a psychiatrist is always the best choice. Still,
        it
        > creates a very highly plausible world.
        >
        > This is because no game has ever been built the way Alter Ego was
        > built:
        >
        > THE MAKING OF ALTER EGO
        >
        > In order to provide players with a cross section of experiences from
        > life in general, rather than the author's life alone, Alter Ego's
        > creator, psychologist Dr. Peter J. Favaro, interviewed hundreds of
        men
        > and women about their most memorable life experiences. He examined
        > the interviews and looked for common experiences, then chose the
        > experiences that many people shared.
        >
        > The scoring in Alter Ego is based on evaluations by Dr. Favaro and a
        > group of fellow psychologists. In Dr. Favaro's own words, "We feel
        > that from any one response, it is almost impossible to give an
        > accurate picture of someone. We also feel that, given the fact
        that a
        > person makes several HUNDRED responses while playing Alter Ego, we
        > have a better chance of guessing what that person might be like."

        > There's truly no other game like it. Not even Mind Mirror, Timothy
        > Leary's attempt at a similar game, stands up to Alter Ego. Some of
        > this is due to Favaro's snappy writing, but much of it has to do
        with
        > the interviews themselves. Some of the events of this game are so
        > weird, yet so obviously real, that you know that they couldn't
        > possibly be made up.
        >
        > Little twists, like turning you down for certain high-paying jobs if
        > your Ethics score is too high, give this game a replay value that
        > almost no other game can match, in gender-bending alone. [Did you
        > know that the male and female versions of this game are entirely
        > separate, and have many completely different vignettes?]
        >
        > How about you? What happened to you in the game? What vignettes
        > would you like to see? [We can add more in if we like!]
        >
        > -Dan
        >
        > -unless you love someone-
        > -nothing else makes any sense-
        > e.e. cummings
      • Dan Fabulich
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 18, 2001
          xamfear1 wrote:

          > Yup, loved the game; Also loved (from the same period of time) The
          > Novel/Game 'portal' What a unique experience are both games.

          Neat! Do you have a link for it?

          > I have long wanted to bring portal to life on the web, and may do so
          > now, after seeing the wonderfull work you have done with AE.

          Heh. Just make sure to get a webserver that can handle it... :)

          > Great work and thanks for the fun!

          My pleasure!

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 18, 2001
            The URL for the c64 version of the game is here (works w/ emulators)
            http://www.gb64.com/oldsite/rare-a.htm

            The 'game' was almost the textual equiv of MYST only it was clicking
            through text entries instead of pictures. The entries were disguised
            as database entries of varying types and would provide plot moving
            pieces as well as ancillary information. The basic premise was that
            you were an astronaut returning to earth to find it deserted, you
            interface with a computer ai which helps to dole out information from
            an internet like global network to explore the last days of humanity
            on earth.
            the following URL has a good write up (you'll have to key on PORTAL
            to find it, interestingly enough they talk some of AE as well)

            http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/4393/activisn.txt

            --- In alt-ego@y..., Dan Fabulich <daniel.fabulich@y...> wrote:
            > xamfear1 wrote:
            >
            > > Yup, loved the game; Also loved (from the same period of time)
            The
            > > Novel/Game 'portal' What a unique experience are both games.
            >
            > Neat! Do you have a link for it?
            >
            > > I have long wanted to bring portal to life on the web, and may do
            so
            > > now, after seeing the wonderfull work you have done with AE.
            >
            > Heh. Just make sure to get a webserver that can handle it... :)
            >
            > > Great work and thanks for the fun!
            >
            > My pleasure!
            >
            > -Dan
            >
            > -unless you love someone-
            > -nothing else makes any sense-
            > e.e. cummings
          • xeriar
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 18, 2001
              This was loads of fun. I think it would be neat to flesh it out more
              and emphasize the 'paths' that could be taken.

              Oddly enough my sister and I have had some rather different
              experiences. I climbed the metal-frame liquor shelf when I was a kid
              and brought two bottles to the porch (so my mom tells me) when my dad
              was asleep. That thing was a deathtrap, no idea how I did it.

              Also, needs a 'learning how to escape from your crib' experience :-)
              And something with siblings, like, 'teaching your sister to escape
              from the crib' :-)

              Another childhood story I'm told, my dad was working on the roof of
              our duplex, and left the ladder out. I climbed up most of the way
              and my dad told me to get down, so I got down the fastest way I
              knew. Luckily, my dad caught me.

              My first lie is also an important aspect of my life :-(
            • Dan Fabulich
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 18, 2001
                xeriar wrote:

                > This was loads of fun. I think it would be neat to flesh it out more
                > and emphasize the 'paths' that could be taken.

                Yeah, there's a lot of things I've idly dreamed about adding in.
                Rather than giving you the smackdown when you try drugs, it'd be
                interesting to see the effects of addiction, rehab, etc.

                In addition, there are vignettes in the original game's code that,
                AFAIK, are never actually called during the course of the game.
                During these "Life Experience" vignettes, it's possible for your mom
                or your dad to die. It'd be interesting to see how I could
                incorporate those. I tried for a while, but eventually gave up,
                because I wasn't sure how I'd want to handle all those other vignettes
                which include either your mother or your father.

                > Oddly enough my sister and I have had some rather different
                > experiences. I climbed the metal-frame liquor shelf when I was a kid
                > and brought two bottles to the porch (so my mom tells me) when my dad
                > was asleep. That thing was a deathtrap, no idea how I did it.

                Neat. I was always afraid to climb stuff when I was little. Not a
                single broken bone in my body. :)

                > Also, needs a 'learning how to escape from your crib' experience :-)
                > And something with siblings, like, 'teaching your sister to escape
                > from the crib' :-)

                So, to do siblings properly, I'd probably want to have a question in
                the openning questionnaire... maybe as simple as "I have a brother"
                and "I have a sister" questions.

                The already uses "My parents were strict disciplinarians" directly in
                the game. Often when you get in trouble, the game checks to see if
                you said that your parents were strict, and if so, your punishments
                are harsher and it's easier to get estranged from them. [That's the
                only question like that at the moment. The others just figure into
                calculating your personal statistics.]

                > Another childhood story I'm told, my dad was working on the roof of
                > our duplex, and left the ladder out. I climbed up most of the way
                > and my dad told me to get down, so I got down the fastest way I
                > knew. Luckily, my dad caught me.

                Heh. I think the last thing this game needs is more deathtrap
                vignettes, frankly. It's already so easy to die suddenly and without
                warning...

                > My first lie is also an important aspect of my life :-(

                That, I'm proud to say, IS in the game. You have the option to steal
                a shiny quarter from your mom, and then to lie about it when asked.
                Deep effects on your trustworthiness later on in life...

                -Dan, who should be doing work

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 18, 2001
                  --- In alt-ego@y..., Dan Fabulich <daniel.fabulich@y...> wrote:
                  > xeriar wrote:
                  >
                  > > This was loads of fun. I think it would be neat to flesh it out
                  more
                  > > and emphasize the 'paths' that could be taken.
                  >
                  > Yeah, there's a lot of things I've idly dreamed about adding in.
                  > Rather than giving you the smackdown when you try drugs, it'd be
                  > interesting to see the effects of addiction, rehab, etc.

                  Different drugs, too, and whether or not you get caught in the first
                  place.

                  > In addition, there are vignettes in the original game's code that,
                  > AFAIK, are never actually called during the course of the game.
                  > During these "Life Experience" vignettes, it's possible for your mom
                  > or your dad to die. It'd be interesting to see how I could
                  > incorporate those. I tried for a while, but eventually gave up,
                  > because I wasn't sure how I'd want to handle all those other
                  vignettes
                  > which include either your mother or your father.

                  Ayaiyai. Things like that have so many weird possibilities :-/ Then
                  again the game is already a little disjointed.

                  > > Oddly enough my sister and I have had some rather different
                  > > experiences. I climbed the metal-frame liquor shelf when I was a
                  kid
                  > > and brought two bottles to the porch (so my mom tells me) when my
                  dad
                  > > was asleep. That thing was a deathtrap, no idea how I did it.
                  >
                  > Neat. I was always afraid to climb stuff when I was little. Not a
                  > single broken bone in my body. :)

                  I was rather adventurous at the start, jumping off things etc. No
                  broken bones there, but I was literally addicted to milk. Can't do
                  that anymore though, at 400 pounds...

                  > > Also, needs a 'learning how to escape from your crib'
                  experience :-)
                  > > And something with siblings, like, 'teaching your sister to escape
                  > > from the crib' :-)
                  >
                  > So, to do siblings properly, I'd probably want to have a question in
                  > the openning questionnaire... maybe as simple as "I have a brother"
                  > and "I have a sister" questions.
                  >
                  > The already uses "My parents were strict disciplinarians" directly
                  in
                  > the game. Often when you get in trouble, the game checks to see if
                  > you said that your parents were strict, and if so, your punishments
                  > are harsher and it's easier to get estranged from them. [That's the
                  > only question like that at the moment. The others just figure into
                  > calculating your personal statistics.]

                  The thing is I'm leagues away from what I was as a child.

                  People's lives have -so- many factors, though. What happened to me
                  in kindergarden was nowhere near typical, and missing six months had
                  its share of impact on my life :-/ (Chicken pox, tonsels removed,
                  error in tonsel surgery... sucked)

                  > > Another childhood story I'm told, my dad was working on the roof
                  of
                  > > our duplex, and left the ladder out. I climbed up most of the way
                  > > and my dad told me to get down, so I got down the fastest way I
                  > > knew. Luckily, my dad caught me.
                  >
                  > Heh. I think the last thing this game needs is more deathtrap
                  > vignettes, frankly. It's already so easy to die suddenly and
                  without
                  > warning...

                  I'm not sure I would have died, rather than bouncing off the
                  grass with broken things to show for it.

                  > > My first lie is also an important aspect of my life :-(
                  >
                  > That, I'm proud to say, IS in the game. You have the option to
                  steal
                  > a shiny quarter from your mom, and then to lie about it when asked.
                  > Deep effects on your trustworthiness later on in life...

                  The thing is that that wasn't the dillemma for me - my mom started
                  trusting me with $10 bills at that age. Mine involved showing up
                  three hours late, and cleverly lying about it to my mom to pass the
                  blame on my friend to get out of the situation (and chores, etc.)
                  After that I learned that I -could- lie, if I was careful (and
                  crafty).

                  > -Dan, who should be doing work

                  ditto :-)

                  > -unless you love someone-
                  > -nothing else makes any sense-
                  > e.e. cummings
                • jamesmcparlane
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 12, 2003
                    Hi.. Just discovered your online port of AE.

                    Did you have any copyright issues or is the original game data now
                    public domain?

                    I remember the original c64 version and played it to death many years
                    ago and decided last year that I would create a version myself. ( I
                    develop games for gameboy and ITV platforms)

                    I'm just about to create a port of the game myself, but I was going
                    to write the vingnettes from scratch.

                    Did you write yours from scratch or did you use the existing data
                    from the game?

                    --- In alt-ego@yahoogroups.com, Dan Fabulich <daniel.fabulich@y...>
                    wrote:

                    > The game was a simple port from an old IBM PC game. I'll probably
                    > upload a copy of the original to our files section if there's some
                    > demand for it.
                    >
                    > I knew I was in love with the game ever since the first time I
                    played:
                    > I died in childhood, kidnapped and tortured to death. No other game
                    > has consequences like that.
                    >
                    > Sure, there are problems with the game. It's quite harsh on drug
                    > users, and seeing a psychiatrist is always the best choice. Still,
                    it
                    > creates a very highly plausible world.
                    >
                    > This is because no game has ever been built the way Alter Ego was
                    > built:
                    >
                    > THE MAKING OF ALTER EGO
                    >
                    > In order to provide players with a cross section of experiences from
                    > life in general, rather than the author's life alone, Alter Ego's
                    > creator, psychologist Dr. Peter J. Favaro, interviewed hundreds of
                    men
                    > and women about their most memorable life experiences. He examined
                    > the interviews and looked for common experiences, then chose the
                    > experiences that many people shared.
                    >
                    > The scoring in Alter Ego is based on evaluations by Dr. Favaro and a
                    > group of fellow psychologists. In Dr. Favaro's own words, "We feel
                    > that from any one response, it is almost impossible to give an
                    > accurate picture of someone. We also feel that, given the fact
                    that a
                    > person makes several HUNDRED responses while playing Alter Ego, we
                    > have a better chance of guessing what that person might be like."

                    > There's truly no other game like it. Not even Mind Mirror, Timothy
                    > Leary's attempt at a similar game, stands up to Alter Ego. Some of
                    > this is due to Favaro's snappy writing, but much of it has to do
                    with
                    > the interviews themselves. Some of the events of this game are so
                    > weird, yet so obviously real, that you know that they couldn't
                    > possibly be made up.
                    >
                    > Little twists, like turning you down for certain high-paying jobs if
                    > your Ethics score is too high, give this game a replay value that
                    > almost no other game can match, in gender-bending alone. [Did you
                    > know that the male and female versions of this game are entirely
                    > separate, and have many completely different vignettes?]
                    >
                    > How about you? What happened to you in the game? What vignettes
                    > would you like to see? [We can add more in if we like!]
                    >
                    > -Dan
                    >
                    > -unless you love someone-
                    > -nothing else makes any sense-
                    > e.e. cummings
                  • jamesmcparlane
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 4 6:24 AM
                      Can I have a reply to my question please..

                    • Dan Fabulich
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 4 11:55 AM
                        jamesmcparlane wrote:

                        > Can I have a reply to my question please..

                        > > Did you write yours from scratch or did you use the existing data
                        > > from the game?

                        Existing data, though I wrote the interpreter for the vignette data
                        from scratch.

                        Does that answer your question?

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 5 7:52 PM
                          Yes please.. Thanks. :)

                          Has anyone aproached you wrt. copyright issues?

                        • Dan Fabulich
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 5 8:19 PM
                            james mc parlane wrote:

                            > Yes please.. Thanks. :)
                            >
                            > Has anyone aproached you wrt. copyright issues?

                            I have asked Activision... they said that they weren't sure if they
                            were the owners. I've also tried to get in touch with Favaro, but
                            have thus far failed.

                            Certainly no one has approached ME. :)

                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 6 7:51 AM
                              Ok.. Cool. I'm planning to write an updated version of the game. I'll be
                              using the radon framework http://radon.set-top.net and it will have a
                              multiplayer component. I'm trying to take the game one step further while
                              trying to preserve the compelling nature of the original. When I'm
                              finished I think it will be only just recognisable, but I'll probably
                              start with vignettes from the original for the prototype.