cognitive importance of play - a samvaad in Pune

  • jinan kodapully
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1 12:52 AM
    Hi friends
    I am inviting you  to be part of an experiment called ‘ re-imagining schools’. This is an attempt to let children BE.
    So instead of conditioning the children with 'knowledge' we are attempting to create conducive conditions for the natural unfolding of cognitive abilities. We are creating conditions for freedom and trust for the children to retain their autonomy.

    So we adults are engaged in first hand enquiry/ observation so that we recover our natural beingness and being entrusted the responsibility of this children we are learning how to address the 'curriculam' with out alienating them from real life.
    As play is what children naturally tend to do that is what happens in the 'school' most of the time.

    We have been documenting these activities of children for the past one and half years and we have a huge collection - about 5000 2 to 5 minute duration- video clips.
    Based on this observation we are planing to conduct a dialogue, sharing on the cognitive importance of play because it is some what clear that children are learning the world through play. Or playing is the natural process by which children learn to be in the world.

    some of the themes for the dialogue we have in mind is related to how children become aware of values, beauty etc, how they use their body as toy to play and we will look at how children explore forms in nature, quality or property of materials etc
    The event is being held on 21 22 23 Dec at Pune. I am sending the relevant documents.
    We have also set up an email group  samwaad-on-learning@ googlegroup.com   . Please join if possible.
    The school email is sadhanavillageschool@...

    I am looking for monetary support as well as intellectual and moral support. The school is being run by a registered NGO (Sadhana village based in Pune) with FCRA and 80 G tax exemption. Do get back to me for more details.

    Jinan,
    'DIGITAL MEDIUM IS A TOOL.DIGITALLY  MEDIATED KNOWLEDGE DESTROYS THE BEING'

    www.re-cognition.org
    www.kumbham.org
    http://my.opera.com/jinankb/ blog/
    reimaginingschools.wordpress. com