RE: [alt-ed-india] RTE

  • Vidya Shankar
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 25, 2011
      While I agree with what Bhuvana has to say about the law in India - which is based on a complainants action, we still have to move ahead on 2 fronts
      - Form a National board of home schooling families (Like Mathew said)
      - See if a group of parents can get their kids (around 10 to 12 years of age maybe) to write a petition to the Supreme court on why they prefer home education. This would be considered as a writ and the Court would ask the Govt to answer. It is bound to give a ruling in our favour. The wording of the writ must not be adult like.
      There is no risk of the children being asked to appear - so if there are parents willing to make this effort, please get together and write out a petition. I am willing to edit it from the view of what will appeal to law makers.
      So lets get moving on these two fronts.
      Last week I had a parent group interested in settling in a village near Kallakurichi - where they wanted to do farming and at the same time home educate their kids.
      I have spoken to them to form a forum first and then look at becoming a part of the National board when it forms.
      regards
      VS

      From: smitad_67@...
      Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 20:25:59 +0530

      Looks like we are living in Communist India

      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 26, 2011

        It is true. Although, I don't know about China (b/c I personally know many Chinese people settled/settling in US never wanting to go back to settle in their country b/c of it) but my husband travels to Europe frequently on work ..sometimes for weeks together. He recently spent 2 full weeks in Slovakia and he did hear from the local older generation (50s and 60s) about it. They have wonderful memories of the communist rule in Slovakia, they prefer that to the current govt.system. It was very interesting to hear their description and perspective of it.

        While I also agree that RTE may never get enforced (like so many other laws) it is scary to do something that is "unlawful" for obvious reasons.

        Padma

        > Most of these things never get enforced in good old India... well I am not saying that is a good thing in many cases :) but I don't think there is much cause for worry .. that's all! In India the law is more based on what it represents than a hard and fast rule. Upside is it is more flexible as case on case basis but downside of this is corruption. They can never win a case like this but they can draw you into cases and make things miserable!As far as communism goes.. read more about it before you start using it the way Americans do.. there are several ideas that are really good! I think it is infact better in some ways than a completely capitalistic economy like the US which consistently increases the rich poor divide. As an economy run by the rich the americans are obviously afraid of communism! And btw, most people in China are quite happy with the regime.regardsBhuvana
        > To: alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com
        > From: smitad_67@...
        > Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 20:25:59 +0530
        > Subject: Re: [alt-ed-india] RTE

        > Looks like we are living in Communist India

      • adiyendasi
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 26, 2011
          Is there any concrete work being done in forming the National board of homeschoolers? Please let us all know when and where to register as a homeschooling family.

          Thanks
          Padma

          --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, Vidya Shankar <vidyashankar01@...> wrote:

          > While I agree with what Bhuvana has to say about the law in India - which is based on a complainants action, we still have to move ahead on 2 fronts
          > - Form a National board of home schooling families (Like Mathew said)
          > - See if a group of parents can get their kids (around 10 to 12 years of age maybe) to write a petition to the Supreme court on why they prefer home education. This would be considered as a writ and the Court would ask the Govt to answer. It is bound to give a ruling in our favour. The wording of the writ must not be adult like.
          > There is no risk of the children being asked to appear - so if there are parents willing to make this effort, please get together and write out a petition. I am willing to edit it from the view of what will appeal to law makers.
          > So lets get moving on these two fronts.
          > Last week I had a parent group interested in settling in a village near Kallakurichi - where they wanted to do farming and at the same time home educate their kids.
          > I have spoken to them to form a forum first and then look at becoming a part of the National board when it forms.
          > regards
          > VS

        • nandita sri
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 28, 2011
            Being a  special educator teaching in a good school, which is very much against enforcing the RTE. They are in-fact forcing the parents of regular children to oppose the RTE. Though most Parents are for the RTE, the school doesn't want to take the onus of providing free n compulsory education to children. They are in-fact asking children with mild issues like ADD/ADHD to leave or find alternate schools. The sad part is that parents have no option but to run from pillar-2-post searching for schools.
            It would be a great boon if we can get the open/home schooling recognized by our education system.

            Regards
            Nanditha

            Is there any concrete work being done in forming the National board of homeschoolers? Please let us all know when and where to register as a homeschooling family.

            Thanks
            Padma

            --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, Vidya Shankar <vidyashankar01@...> wrote:

            > While I agree with what Bhuvana has to say about the law in India - which is based on a complainants action, we still have to move ahead on 2 fronts
            > - Form a National board of home schooling families (Like Mathew said)
            > - See if a group of parents can get their kids (around 10 to 12 years of age maybe) to write a petition to the Supreme court on why they prefer home education. This would be considered as a writ and the Court would ask the Govt to answer. It is bound to give a ruling in our favour. The wording of the writ must not be adult like.
            > There is no risk of the children being asked to appear - so if there are parents willing to make this effort, please get together and write out a petition. I am willing to edit it from the view of what will appeal to law makers.
            > So lets get moving on these two fronts.
            > Last week I had a parent group interested in settling in a village near Kallakurichi - where they wanted to do farming and at the same time home educate their kids.
            > I have spoken to them to form a forum first and then look at becoming a part of the National board when it forms.
            > regards
            > VS

          • geniekids
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 30, 2011
              Looking for information from parents whose children after being home schooled for some years have either freshly or re-joined schooling in a registered school - specifically joined into any class (std) between 3rd to 10th.
              What we want to know is
              1. What all documents did the school ask for?
              2. Specifically did the school stress upon TC (Transfer Certificate) and since the child was being home schooled and hence there could not be any TC - how did you manage the TC.
              3. Did they take any test / interview etc.
              4. What other formalities did they ask for?
              5. Do add, if okay, the name of school which the child joined, into which class the child joined and which board the school is affiliated to - CBSE, ICSE or State?
              You can email the information directly to us at geniekids@...
              The information is required as some parents who are part of our Alternate learning Center at Bangalore (Aarohi) want to know the procedure to seek admission into a regular registered school - if they so want to - after few years of home schooling.

              Warm Regards
              Aditi & Ratnesh
              Geniekids Learning Resources Pvt. Ltd
              ------------------------------ ---------------------------
              Phones: 2520-2510, 411-61-575, 98450-45833
              Website: www.geniekids.com
              Geniekids Learning Center:
              No 3023, 8th Cross, 13th Main (NPS road), HAL 2nd Stage, Bangalore 560008
            • Bharat Shah
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 3, 2011
                Hello!
                We had 6 children of four families who were homeschooled in a group for 2 years. One of the families deided to go for regular schooling from June, 2011. The school was ready to accept the student. The parents applied for the same. The girl has been admitted in the standard according to her age (7th standard, Gujarat Board school). The document required was just the birth certificate and an application to the school.

                We explored the issue. The information we could gather is that it is the duty of the govt ( and Right of a child) to educate a child in a standard accordng to his age, according to RTE. In short:

                1)The school has to enroll the child in a standard according to his/her age. The school can take qualifying exam of the previous standard, if required. If necessary, the schoool has to arrange for educating the child for previous year exams
                2) Admitting the sudent is compulsion for the govt / municipality run school. For private schools, they can admitt the student, if they wish
                3) The deciding authority is the school principal, if the application is received before the month of August. Then the head of primary schools in case of Municipality ( Shashanadhikari in Gujarat) after august
                4) You may also go for an appeal to NCPCR ( National commision for Protection of Child Rights) or equivalent state commmision or an observer in absence of a comission,  if the competent authority refuses to admit a child to a standard equivalent to his / her age till 8th standard.

                Thanks

                Bharat Shah

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 4, 2011
                  Thank you Bharat for your response. Does this apply only to state govt schools? What about CBSE schools as CBSE website clearly says that a child has to produce transfer certificate of a recognized school.
                  http://cbse.nic.in/examin~1/admissionmt.htm

                  So does anybody has any experience of shifting to a CBSE or ICSE school after home schooling
                  thanks
                  ratnesh

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 8, 2011
                    Hello!
                    This was in reference to Guj state board schools. I do not have any experience with CBSE.
                    Thanks
                    Bharat Shah
                    Thank you Bharat for your response. Does this apply only to state govt schools? What about CBSE schools as CBSE website clearly says that a child has to produce transfer certificate of a recognized school.
                    http://cbse.nic.in/examin~1/admissionmt.htm

                    So does anybody has any experience of shifting to a CBSE or ICSE school after home schooling
                    thanks
                    ratnesh

                    --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, "Bharat Shah" <drbjshah@...> wrote:

                    > Hello!
                    > We had 6 children of four families who were homeschooled in a group for 2 years. One of the families deided to go for regular schooling from June, 2011. The school was ready to accept the student. The parents applied for the same. The girl has been admitted in the standard according to her age (7th standard, Gujarat Board school). The document required was just the birth certificate and an application to the school.
                    >
                    > We explored the issue. The information we could gather is that it is the duty of the govt ( and Right of a child) to educate a child in a standard accordng to his age, according to RTE. In short:
                    >
                    > 1)The school has to enroll the child in a standard according to his/her age. The school can take qualifying exam of the previous standard, if required. If necessary, the schoool has to arrange for educating the child for previous year exams
                    > 2) Admitting the sudent is compulsion for the govt / municipality run school. For private schools, they can admitt the student, if they wish
                    > 3) The deciding authority is the school principal, if the application is received before the month of August. Then the head of primary schools in case of Municipality ( Shashanadhikari in Gujarat) after august
                    > 4) You may also go for an appeal to NCPCR ( National commision for Protection of Child Rights) or equivalent state commmision or an observer in absence of a comission, if the competent authority refuses to admit a child to a standard equivalent to his / her age till 8th standard.
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > Bharat Shah

                  • Preetha Subramaniam
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 23, 2011
                      Hi friends,

                      Though I am a member in this forum, I have been a silent spectator till now. Now that a wonderful proposal for a national body has come up, I would like to express my full support for the same.  I also feel that Ms. Vidya Shankar is right in her plan of action. It would be nice if one of us can pen down a writ and the rest can give their inputs and finally arrive at an apt draft which can be signed by all concerned. I am sure many more homeschooling friends will join in as we proceed.

                      JAI HIND !

                      Regards,
                      Preetha

                      Is there any concrete work being done in forming the National board of homeschoolers? Please let us all know when and where to register as a homeschooling family.

                      Thanks
                      Padma

                      --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, Vidya Shankar <vidyashankar01@...> wrote:

                      > While I agree with what Bhuvana has to say about the law in India - which is based on a complainants action, we still have to move ahead on 2 fronts
                      > - Form a National board of home schooling families (Like Mathew said)
                      > - See if a group of parents can get their kids (around 10 to 12 years of age maybe) to write a petition to the Supreme court on why they prefer home education. This would be considered as a writ and the Court would ask the Govt to answer. It is bound to give a ruling in our favour. The wording of the writ must not be adult like.
                      > There is no risk of the children being asked to appear - so if there are parents willing to make this effort, please get together and write out a petition. I am willing to edit it from the view of what will appeal to law makers.
                      > So lets get moving on these two fronts.
                      > Last week I had a parent group interested in settling in a village near Kallakurichi - where they wanted to do farming and at the same time home educate their kids.
                      > I have spoken to them to form a forum first and then look at becoming a part of the National board when it forms.
                      > regards
                      > VS

                    • Noufal Ibrahim
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 23, 2011
                        On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Preetha Subramaniam <preetha.rishva@...> wrote:

                        Hi friends,

                        Though I am a member in this forum, I have been a silent spectator till now. Now that a wonderful proposal for a national body has come up, I would like to express my full support for the same.  I also feel that Ms. Vidya Shankar is right in her plan of action. It would be nice if one of us can pen down a writ and the rest can give their inputs and finally arrive at an apt draft which can be signed by all concerned. I am sure many more homeschooling friends will join in as we proceed.

                        I would have loved to pitch in but my daughter is very young right now. If there's anything I can do as a parent, I'd be glad to if it's not too taxing on my already stretched time and energy.

                        --
                        ~noufal
                        http://nibrahim.net.in
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 24, 2011
                          Dear Friends,

                          Recently i had a chance to speak with a group of teachers and few correspondents. They said, that any deviation from government prescribed norms would invite serious action from Education department. The teachers and schools are virtually under fear, that they have no initiative or motivation to think new or innovative.

                          There is always a threat of cancellation of licences.

                          It seems, the education sector is under totalatarian regime.

                          Regards,
                          Senthil