accredited online schools, info and comments

  • Camilla Conti
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 13, 2011
      Hi,

      Has anyone had experience with institutions like Clonlara or The West River Accademy? I would like to hear some comments..
      I am especially interested in the second one because it seems more flexible with the curriculum... Is it equally valid to Clonlara and equally recognized, in case at any point the child wishes to re enter the formal schooling system?

      Thanks,

      Regards,

      Camilla

    • Camilla Conti
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 13, 2011
        Hi all again...

        Another thing: my daughter is 6 and I would also like to figure out what online curriculum will suite her age best. Given that I intend to remain flexible and adapt it to her individual learning needs and interests, I am sure I will time to time need some type of assystance and follow up. This mainly because she is half Indian and we live in India but I am Italian. I would like to adapt her curriculum to this intercultural dimension but some problems arise here and there. Ex.: I learnt English late, I did not lear reading in English but first in my language, which has its own rules. So, even if I do read and speak English I am not confident with teaching a child reading in English from the beginning. I can see that some times I confuse her. One letter is once read in a way, then in a different word it is read differently. I just wish to find some guidance to help her out...
        That's why I am looking for online institutions.
        Besides this, I think getting annual certificates might help her in case at a point she will want to go back to the formal system...

        Thanks again,

        Camilla

        On 14 November 2011 06:20, Camilla Conti <camilal_c@...> wrote:
        Hi,

        Has anyone had experience with institutions like Clonlara or The West River Accademy? I would like to hear some comments..
        I am especially interested in the second one because it seems more flexible with the curriculum... Is it equally valid to Clonlara and equally recognized, in case at any point the child wishes to re enter the formal schooling system?

        Thanks,

        Regards,

        Camilla

      • Sharla Chakravarthy Joseph
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 14, 2011
          I would also like to hear anyone's experiences with either school.
          Sharla

          --
          Sharla

          Life is full if you open your eyes:
          Take joy where you find it.
        • adiyendasi
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 14, 2011
            Hi Camilla,
            When I was exploring homeschooling options couple of years ago, someone recommended West River Academy to me (they use it) and I called and spoke to them. Like you've mentioned, it is a good option for umbrella school because they are open to all kinds of homeschooling - unschooling to school-at-home.

            However, since my children are still very young (5 and 3) I didn't feel the need to pay their annual fee right away and use their services. It is a likely option for me when I will need high school transcripts etc for my kids.

            Hope this helps,
            Padma

            --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, Camilla Conti <camilal_c@...> wrote:

            > Hi all again...
            >
            > Another thing: my daughter is 6 and I would also like to figure out what
            > online curriculum will suite her age best. Given that I intend to remain
            > flexible and adapt it to her individual learning needs and interests, I am
            > sure I will time to time need some type of assystance and follow up. This
            > mainly because she is half Indian and we live in India but I am Italian. I
            > would like to adapt her curriculum to this intercultural dimension but some
            > problems arise here and there. Ex.: I learnt English late, I did not lear
            > reading in English but first in my language, which has its own rules. So,
            > even if I do read and speak English I am not confident with teaching a
            > child reading in English from the beginning. I can see that some times I
            > confuse her. One letter is once read in a way, then in a different word it
            > is read differently. I just wish to find some guidance to help her out...
            > That's why I am looking for online institutions.
            > Besides this, I think getting annual certificates might help her in case at
            > a point she will want to go back to the formal system...
            >
            > Thanks again,
            >
            > Camilla
            >
            > On 14 November 2011 06:20, Camilla Conti <camilal_c@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > Has anyone had experience with institutions like Clonlara or The West
            > > River Accademy? I would like to hear some comments..
            > > I am especially interested in the second one because it seems more
            > > flexible with the curriculum... Is it equally valid to Clonlara and equally
            > > recognized, in case at any point the child wishes to re enter the formal
            > > schooling system?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > >
            > > Camilla

          • svani
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 14, 2011
              Hello,
              I have not used any of these Umbrella schools but thought you maybe interested in the options available.
              http://www.homeschooldiner.com/guide/umbrella_cover_schools.html
              Good Luck
              -S

            • svani
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 14, 2011
                A couple more links on reviews and discussions.
                http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/forums/1/thread.aspx?id=89022

                http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157929
                scroll down the page for more similar hits...

                -S
              • Sharla Chakravarthy Joseph