Re: tax exemption

  • lalita.sv@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2011
      Hi all,

      Can someone tell me if the exam fees paid to IGCSE board and expenses on books can be claimed as deductible towards children's education ?

      Thanks
      Lalita
      Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel
    • George Mangalath Thomas
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2011
        On the face of it, I don't see why not.

        But I will check with my accountant - this is his area of expertise..

        On 2 July 2011 15:56, <lalita.sv@gmail.com> wrote:
        Hi all,

        Can someone tell me if the exam fees paid to IGCSE board and expenses on books can be claimed as deductible towards children's education ?

        Thanks
        Lalita
        Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           alt-ed-india-digest@yahoogroups.com
           alt-ed-india-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --
        George Mangalath Thomas
        Crossfire Films, Bombay INDIA

        skype: gt.mangalath

        crossfirefilms.com        Films: youtube.com/crossfirefilm

      • Vidya Shankar
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2011
          No, since the education is not recognised by the Indian Govt
          We could not get a tax benefit
          VS

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2011
            Thank you for the response, George and VS. I agree with you George - it is only logical, but I got a push back just like VS.

            Is it true that this education is not recognised by the Govt of India? 130 schools are supposed to be offering it. Do they just question the sense of doing it at home? Can we all do something together?

            Please keep me posted.

            Thanks
            Lalita

            On 2 July 2011 16:57, George Mangalath Thomas <gt.crossfire@...> wrote:

[...]

            Warm Regards,
            Lalita

          • GT
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3, 2011

              Ok - the expenses can be claimed as long as they are paid to a legit school. We have not claimed for textbooks. Payments to coaching classes and tutors may be difficult to claim - we have never used a class and only very limited use of tutors.

              Don't know why you believe the IGCSE is not recignised. There are over 50 schools in Bombay that offer IGCSE. And my daughter is in her second year of degree college post Cambridge.