RE: [alt-ed-india] "If"

  • jayshree venkatesan
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
      Hi,
      The poem was really inspiring. It is interesting to see the meaning that flows through when we read it in this context. I recall reading the same poem in Lit classes way back in school, and being able to derive a different sense of satisfaction from it. That is what differentiates a classic from others I guess-the ability to show itself in a different light every time we read it/see it.
      I am sending a poem that was given to me years ago by a professor in college. It is something that inspires me everytime I read it. It is from a book that I have been trying to obtain since some time, but it doesn't seem to be available in India. Hope you all enjoy this as much as I do. Do post your reactions.
      With regards
      Jayshree

      The Invitation

      Oriah Mountain Dreamer

      It doesn�t interest me what you do for a living.
      I want to know what you ache for
      and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart�s longing.

      It doesn�t interest me how old you are.
      I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool
      for love
      for your dream
      for the adventure of being alive.

      It doesn�t interest me what planets are squaring your moon...
      I want to know if you have touched the centre of your own sorrow
      if you have been opened by life�s betrayals
      or have become shrivelled and closed
      from fear of further pain.

      I want to know if you can sit with pain
      mine or your own
      without moving to hide it
      or fade it
      or fix it.

      I want to know if you can be with joy
      mine or your own
      if you can dance with wildness
      and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes
      without cautioning us to
      be careful
      be realistic
      remember the limitations of being human.

      It doesn�t interest me if the story you are telling me
      is true.
      I want to know if you can
      disappoint another
      to be true to yourself.
      If you can bear the accusation of betrayal
      and not betray your own soul.
      If you can be faithless
      and therefore trustworthy.

      I want to know if you can see Beauty
      even when it is not pretty
      every day.
      And if you can source your own life
      from its presence.

      I want to know if you can live with failure
      yours and mine
      and still stand at the edge of the lake
      and shout to the silver of the full moon,
      Yes.�

      It doesn�t interest me
      to know where you live or how much money you have.
      I want to know if you can get up
      after the night of grief and despair
      weary and bruised to the bone
      and do what needs to be done
      to feed the children.

      It doesn�t interest me who you know
      or how you came to be here.
      I want to know if you will stand
      in the centre of the fire
      with me
      and not shrink back.

      It doesn�t interest me where or what or with whom
      you have studied.
      I want to know what sustains you
      from the inside
      when all else falls away.

      I want to know if you can be alone
      with yourself
      and if you truly like the company you keep
      in the empty moments.

      Samatha Reddy <saramsa18@...> wrote:

      Hi Clive,
      That's amazing.Thank you.i read it many times.it is beautiful.maybe i'll
      keep it with me.
      Sam.

      >From: "Clive Elwell"
      >Subject: [alt-ed-india] "If"
      >Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 11:48:32 +1300
      >
      >I may as well give the whole of Rudyard Kipling's poem:
      >
      >Rudyard Kipling
      >If
      >
      > If
      >
      > If you can keep your head when all about you
      > Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
      > If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
      > But make allowance for their doubting too;
      > If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
      > Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
      > Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,
      > And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;
      >
      > If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
      > If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
      > If you can meet with triumph and disaster
      > And treat those two imposters just the same;
      > If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
      > Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
      > Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
      > And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;
      >
      > If you can make one heap of all your winnings
      > And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
      > And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      > And never breath a word about your loss;
      > If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
      > To serve your turn long after they are gone,
      > And so hold on when there is nothing in you
      > Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on";
      >
      > If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
      > Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch;
      > If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
      > If all men count with you, but none too much;
      > If you can fill the unforgiving minute
      > With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -
      > Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
      > And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!

      Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft� SmartScreen
      Technology.
      first two months FREE*.

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/x3XolB/TM

      This mailing list is primarily for the use of families who are home educating in India, and those who are considering doing so. However, all those with a deep interest in serious education are welcome to participate. The list's intentions are to facilitate enquiry into fundamental educational questions, to learn together, to share, and to support those who are home educating.

      To start sending messages to members of the group, simply send emails to: alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com

      If you do not wish to belong to home_educating_india, you may unsubscribe by sending an email to:

      There are associated web pages at:
      www.alternativeeducationindia.net

      Here you can if you wish add yourself to the local contact groups data base, which is to enable members of the group to make personal contact with others who live nearby.

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Do you Yahoo!?
      The all-new My Yahoo! � Get yours free!

    • Samatha Reddy
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
        Hi Jayshree,
        That Poem is awesome.very beautiful and inspiring.the meaning behind the
        words and it's simplicity is incredible,as though any one can look at
        themselves in it's meaning.I'll keep this with me.
        Hope you are having a nice day where ever you are.
        Here in Montreal,the first snow is falling.it's cloudy but i just love
        everything about Winter.
        Nice to see you post here again.as i said iam new here and looking forward
        to read your posts.
        i'll read it again.i love poems that have great depth.Thank you.
        Love,Sam.

> [...]
        >those with a deep interest in serious education are welcome to participate.
        >The list's intentions are to facilitate enquiry into fundamental
        >educational questions, to learn together, to share, and to support those
        >who are home educating.
        >

        >If you have a web-based subscription, you can learn more about the
        >Alternative Education in India group, and view the archives, by visiting:
        >
        >To start sending messages to members of the group, simply send emails to:
        >alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com
        >
        >If you do not wish to belong to home_educating_india, you may unsubscribe
        >by sending an email to:
        >
        >There are associated web pages at:
        >www.alternativeeducationindia.net
        >
        >Here you can if you wish add yourself to the local contact groups data
        >base, which is to enable members of the group to make personal contact with

        Take advantage of powerful junk e-mail filters built on patented Microsoft�
        SmartScreen Technology.
        first two months FREE*.
      • vimala
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
          Hi
          The poem is wonderful. thanks for sharing
          regards
          vimala

          jayshree venkatesan wrote:

[...]

          in the empty moments.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

          http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&amp;xAPID=1994&amp;DI=1034&amp;SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&amp;HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines