'Include Anna Hazare in textbooks', say teachers

  • Chintan Girish Modi
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2011
      From http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_include-anna-hazare-in-textbooks_1533822

      'Include Anna Hazare in textbooks'

      Published: Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011, 1:37 IST
      By Puja Pednekar | Place: Mumbai | Agency: DNA

      After he took the nation by storm with his 93-hour hunger strike for the Lokpal Bill, teachers in the state want Anna Hazare’s story to be published in the school textbooks.

      Teachers have asked the State Council of Educational Research Training (SCERT) to include Hazare’s struggle in the state board syllabus.

      Maharashtra Rajya Shikshak Parishad, a statewide organisation of nearly 70,000 teachers, wrote a letter to the SCERT on Monday, to include Hazare’s life story and his successful struggle against corruption in the syllabus so that students can be inspired.

      “Students have only read about Mahatma Gandhi. Anna is one of the few living heroes of the country and children can learn a lot from his struggle,” said Anil Bornare, chairperson of the Mumbai division of the Parishad.

      In the letter, the teachers said that Hazare has become a role model for many students who witnessed his fast at Jantar Mantar in Delhi.

      “Students have grown indifferent towards corruption. But after seeing what Anna has achieved, students can learn that if you have the courage and determination, you can take on anything in this world. Hazare is the Gandhi of our times,” Bornare added.

      Apart from teachers, parents also feel that their children should learn about Hazare. “I ensured that my daughter and her friends watched the TV coverage of Anna’s fast. They were awed by the scenes, witnessing history similar to what they have only read in their textbooks,” said Rakesh Tiwari, a parent.

    • smita rao
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2011

           It is a welcome move by Teachers of Maharashtra. Infact his life story
        should be added in central  syllabus too.
           I was moved by an article in TOI on how he had completely transformed
        his drought-prone native and surrounding villages and brought the villagers
        prosperity.

        sr