Re: Books for young children, libraries etc

  • padmashree.tadepalli
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 10, 2011
      Hi Yogesh, Bhuvana and Svani,
      Thanks so much for writing back with the details. We do plan to continue our unschooling when we return and will continue to rely on books as much as we do now. It is indeed wonderful to know that the local public libraries are well stocked with local literature. I grew up in Chennai and passed by a govt. library every day , it was so dilapidated from outside ,I was afraid to go in as I might be accosted by ruffians..But now, I may be brave enough to go check out my local library and see for myself how their collection is.

      Bhuvana, Will it be possible to please give me more details on the libraries that you mentioned? Are you in the Chennai area? I may not live in Chennai ,it will be my closest city if I move back.

      Thanks
      Padma

      --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, svani <svaniacad@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > > very likely we will move back to India in the next few months. We are making
      > > very liberal use of the local public library here where we can check out as
      > > many books as we want for free and the kids love love love books. I'm
      > > wondering how it is in India? Are there good public libraries where we can
      > > check out books for children this age as they grow or even private
      > > libraries? Do we need to only buy books ,is there a book swap group or
      > > website where we can get used books for cheap?
      > >
      > > And those who have moved back from US to India, what will be the
      > > homeschooling tools/resources that you recommend that we carry with us when
      > > we move back? Of course, since the kids are so young and we are unschooling
      > > we can't really predict the entire educational journey's needs but
      > > nevertheless..:)
      > >
      > > Any and all information that you give, will be very useful and greatly
      > > appreciated.
      > >
      > > Thanks so much,
      > > Padmashree
      > >
      > > --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com <alt-ed-india%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > > Bhuvana Venkat <bhuva78@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Check it out before you buy it Aashish. I got a demo too and I liked the
      > > books but didn't go for it as it was way too expensive. The problem is you
      > > cannot choose particular books but must subscribe to the whole package.
      > > There are plenty of child friendly books at much lower rates that you can
      > > choose according to your child's interest and ofcourse there are libraries
      > > as well. I would recommend Childcraft instead.
      > > > regards
      > > > Bhuvana
      > > >

      > > > To: alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com <alt-ed-india%40yahoogroups.com>
      > > > From: aasingla@
      > > > Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 10:40:40 +0530
      > > > Subject: Re: [alt-ed-india] A wonderful home- schooling tool
      > > >

      > > > Hi Rewati,
      > > >

      > > > Could you please give some more info on the cost and source of
      > > availability of this program?
      > > >

      > > > --
      > > > Aashish Singla
      > > >

      > > > On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 8:25 PM, itawer <itawer@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Hi
      > > > I have found the Total Development Program from Time-Life quite nice as a
      > > home schooling tool. It is well-researched, fun, interactive with lots of
      > > varied activites for kids. Also lots of ways to draw even distracted kids
      > > into the learning process. It can be used as early as a year old upto 10
      > > years, as it grows with the child.
      > > >
      > > > I was using this with my child right from the time that he was 1 1/2. &
      > > at 3 he can tell the time upto 15 min, 30 min etc. Also his speech &
      > > vocabulary is very well-developed with words like vanished, enormous ,
      > > disappointed etc. He can also name at least 10 things with each alphabet and
      > > can already count. He also has a basic understanding of "one more than" &
      > > which no.is bigger.
      > > >
      > > > I think it gives a good direction for homeschooling parents.

    • Bhuvana Venkat
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 10, 2011
        Hi Padma
        The online library I was referring to is iloveread.in. They deliver books at home. They are new so don't have a great collection yet but they promise to stock up anything you would like upon request. The newly built Anna Centenary Government Library at Kotturpuram is supposed to be the second largest in Asia or something like that. I have not yet checked it out. Intend to visit it sometime this week, will let you know about it. I am a member of a library next door- Murugan Lending Library. It is alright for general reading. I love http://www.tulikabooks.com/, http://www.tarabooks.com/ particularly for their bilingual books. Scholastic also has a big warehouse in chennai at thiruvanmiyur. Hippocampus and http://www.toyzdayout.com/ are good for borrowing books,CDs, toys etc. Sterling publishers,  centre for learning etc are not in chennai but you can order books from them.

        My daughter reads a book she loves 100s of times! She knows many books verbatim but still will read them over and over! So I prefer to buy them. The library just tells me what kind of books she likes so that I can just buy them. It is not very expensive to buy books even first hand here. There's Odyssey, Landmark, Higginbothams, Oxford, Words&worth, Crossword, SAS Connections, Giri Traders, ramakrishna math, motilal banarsidas, bharatiya vidya bhavan (these are all in the T Nagar, Mylapore, Adyar area that I am aware of) or directly from the publishing house.Eswar Books @ T Nagar for technical, flipkart has a good collection online. There are plenty of second hand shops as well. Vidya Shakar, a member of this group has opened The Cascade learning center in thiruvanmiyur.
        Hope that helps, let me know if you are looking for anything in particular.
        regards
        bhuvana

        To: alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com
        From: padma_rap@...
        Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 17:36:25 +0000
        Subject: [alt-ed-india] Re: Books for young children, libraries etc

> [...]

        > > > Hi
        > > > I have found the Total Development Program from Time-Life quite nice as a
        > > home schooling tool. It is well-researched, fun, interactive with lots of
        > > varied activites for kids. Also lots of ways to draw even distracted kids
        > > into the learning process. It can be used as early as a year old upto 10
        > > years, as it grows with the child.
        > > >
        > > > I was using this with my child right from the time that he was 1 1/2. &
        > > at 3 he can tell the time upto 15 min, 30 min etc. Also his speech &
        > > vocabulary is very well-developed with words like vanished, enormous ,
        > > disappointed etc. He can also name at least 10 things with each alphabet and
        > > can already count. He also has a basic understanding of "one more than" &
        > > which no.is bigger.
        > > >
        > > > I think it gives a good direction for homeschooling parents.

      • prema lakshman
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 11, 2011
          hi,
          i totally second that.
          i think children do an amazing job of adjusting themselves than us and thus as they tune into their desi' friends and the stories that go around, the book shelves start to transform into Amar chitra katha, National Book Trust books(NBT), CBT  and the latest Chhotta Bheem and we look at what we carried back and wonder for what!
          regards
          prema (mom of 6 and 3 olds at home)

          In my opinion, you wouldn't want to get anything from there till you check out for yourself here because when I moved here buying many things from there that I thought will not be available here I was wrong, books in particular. Well many things from the US like fisher price and legos are priced 4 times higher here but there are many indian made look alikes at much cheaper prices which work just as well.  Books, there are plenty of indian publications especially for young children. There are online book stores and plenty of local bookstores;  online libraries, private and public libraries, no where close to the span of libraries in the US but there are enough and more to keep you busy and in general books are much cheaper here even to buy.
           regards
          bhuvana

          To: alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com
          From: padma_rap@...
          Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 01:20:36 +0000

          --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, Bhuvana Venkat <bhuva78@...> wrote:

          > Check it out before you buy it Aashish. I got a demo too and I liked the books but didn't go for it as it was way too expensive. The problem is you cannot choose particular books but must subscribe to the whole package. There are plenty of child friendly books at much lower rates that you can choose according to your child's interest and ofcourse there are libraries as well. I would recommend Childcraft instead.
          > regards
          > Bhuvana
          >

          > To: alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com
          > From: aasingla@...
          > Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 10:40:40 +0530
          > Subject: Re: [alt-ed-india] A wonderful home- schooling tool
          >

          > Hi Rewati,
          >

          > Could you please give some more info on the cost and source of availability of this program?
          >

          > --
          > Aashish Singla
          >

          > On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 8:25 PM, itawer <itawer@...> wrote:
          >

          > Hi
          > I have found the Total Development Program from Time-Life quite nice as a home schooling tool. It is well-researched, fun, interactive with lots of varied activites for kids. Also lots of ways to draw even distracted kids into the learning process. It can be used as early as a year old upto 10 years, as it grows with the child.
          >
          > I was using this with my child right from the time that he was 1 1/2. & at 3 he can tell the time upto 15 min, 30 min etc. Also his speech & vocabulary is very well-developed with words like vanished, enormous , disappointed etc. He can also name at least 10 things with each alphabet and can already count. He also has a basic understanding of "one more than" & which no.is bigger.
          >
          > I think it gives a good direction for homeschooling parents.
          > Recommend it highly.
          > Rgds
          > Rewati
          > Bangalore (9980528390)
          >

          > --
          > --
          > Life Goes On
          > Long After The Thrill Of Livin' Is Gone

        • svani
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 11, 2011
            Ok just wanted to clarify here..... that my kids are older! and well past all the younger kids books and their needs are 'different'.....they take high school (higher secondary here I suppose?) and college courses.....and looking into higher learning books...

            Though they enjoy Indian lit and philosophy...my comment still stays regarding gen science and math books (which is what primarily my kids crave for)...eg. Grand design, Underwood Dudley books, and many more such books......these sort of books are cheaper in the US for us to get......We get somewhat better deals with IIT and IISC book stores to purchase 'few' of these books ....And we go to the publishing houses directly 'if' there was an equivalent Indian publishing done for those books...

            It really depends on what one is looking for...

            YMMV ..
            -S

            Padma, got your offlist email ...will get to it soon

          • Ramya Rajesh
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 12, 2011
              Hi Prema,

              I am certain it is you, hence this mail (;-)

              We went to the Valley interaction today. Is yours' done?

              Do you know any dissatisfied parents of children at Valley? Wanted a different perspective. (Not that we can be sure of Shreya being admitted there,still...)

              How are the kids doing?

              Ramya

              To: alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com
              From: padma_rap@...
              Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 01:20:36 +0000

> [...]

              > Hi
              > I have found the Total Development Program from Time-Life quite nice as a home schooling tool. It is well-researched, fun, interactive with lots of varied activites for kids. Also lots of ways to draw even distracted kids into the learning process. It can be used as early as a year old upto 10 years, as it grows with the child.
              >
              > I was using this with my child right from the time that he was 1 1/2. & at 3 he can tell the time upto 15 min, 30 min etc. Also his speech & vocabulary is very well-developed with words like vanished, enormous , disappointed etc. He can also name at least 10 things with each alphabet and can already count. He also has a basic understanding of "one more than" & which no.is bigger.
              >
              > I think it gives a good direction for homeschooling parents.

            • pratibhapratyaksh
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 18, 2011
                HI everybody,
                I am pratibha agarwal from delhi.
                juyst wanted to say that there are many ;libraries in bangalore who gives time life books for rent.

                i know Hippocampus does so.
                U can check for others.
                thanks.