introduction

  • jinankb
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1 7:09 AM
      Dear Friends
      Like Sathish I also have been lurking behind reading with interest most of the mails.I got involved in educational matters while doing my Engineering degree.Infact I droped out for an year to be with children and "taught" in an primary school.The most impotant issue seemed to me lack of free thinking in us due the strong conditioning we under go at schools/society etc.To me being with children also meant to look at my own de conditioning process.This was in 1983.Later from 1985  to 1988 I studied at the National Institute of Design,Ahmedabad.Here I felt even our sense of beauty is being conditioned.I started addressing fundemental issues related to learning.creativity,originality spontaniety etc from this time.After i passed out of NID I decided to live in rural tribal areas in order to address my own deschooling/decoloninig and de conditioning process.I have lived in nagaland, rural bengal,Orissa etc working with the traditional crafts poeple trying imbibe what ever i can and taking care not to impose my notions.Over a peroid of time I have evolved a metod I call DO NOTHING METHOD which actually means the name itself.just let things happen.Frpm 1993 onwards i have been living in a potters colony in kerala .As a collective process we have developed several products which if you are interested can see at the site www.kumbham.org .I have been doing lots of things with children . 2 years ago I adopted a child.I am not going to send her to school and she is already learning.My name is jinan.At present living with a potters community in north Kerala.I have already written a long letter.may be in the comming mails i will write more about what i have learned being with so called illiterate people.
      Jinan

      Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 10:20 PM
      Subject: Re: [alt-ed-india] MaxPot, some comments and questions

      Absolutely, just help them be themselves. Help them cherish the simple joy of living. I for one, certainly do not want my little kids to get engulfed into competetion and comparison.

      Thanks for this.

      KRGDS

      Prashanth

       Clive Elwell <jevans@...> wrote:

      Hi Satish

      I would rate your contribution to the debate at considerably more than two cents. In fact it brought tears to my eyes.

      I don't know if I can add anything to what you have described so well. You write "Excellence for me is to do whatever you are doing with 100% being in it.  It can be anything from eating, talking to someone, running, walking.... to operating (doctor), carpentering etc.  Being in the present and totally in the present in whatever we are doing is excellence". It would be good to enquire how this can be brought about? Of course I am not only asking how it can be brought about in our children, although that is a crucial question. But also how it came come about in ourselves? The word "how" may not be appropriate here. I have a feeling there is no method that can be followed, no technique that can be applied, no matter how carefully thought out. Doesn't following a method tend to bring about a rather mechanical mind?

      I hesitate to say "what we are looking for here". I would assume people interested in this forum would be dissatisfied, in one way or another, with the conventional education system; have at least glimpsed how it destroys children; how its basic aim is to corrupt children so that they can function in a world that is utterly corrupt. For myself, I am enquiring if a child can grow up into a different sort of human being. As you put it so beautifully, to flower.

      To this end, I realise I am not concerned with "accelerating" children's learning. Nor am I concerned to measure their progress. By what yardstick can we measure this flowering? Children need a long, long childhood, to play, to explore, to discover the world and themselves. They need leisure, not "accelerating" into life.

      Warm Regards

      Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 5:54 AM

      Hi Everyone,

      I have been in the list for the past 3 months just being a silent spectator.  Now I thought I should add my penny's worth.

      I am looking at education where the children discover, innovate and learn about things which are existing and new. Learning is not something which we essentially read and know it is more an experience.  There are no teachers here and we can only be facilitators in the learning process.  Children learn in their own way in their own speed in their own style.  We only observe and facilitate them.  What then happens is they start discovering themselves, their self.  They learn to be with themselves.  We also learn in the process, learn to wonder at everything.

      Education is something which helps a child flower into a beautiful human being.  It does not stereotype and create them into doctors, engineers, scientists, businessmen, carpenters etc.  These are only vocations which are external and they could become one or all of them in different times in their life.  But essentially they remain humans rather silent powerful human beings.

      I fully appreciate Ashok in his efforts to create Maxpot to help children excel in whatever they do, but this is not what we are looking for here.(Clive correct me if I am wrong). Excellence for me is to do whatever you are doing with 100% being in it.  It can be anything from eating, talking to someone, running, walking.... to operating (doctor), carpentering etc.  Being in the present and totally in the present in whatever we are doing is excellence.

      I have 2 daughters whom we are considering home educating right now in the US.  We had put them in school in Bangalore, India and my wife worked as a teacher in the same institution.  But somehow we felt that it is not what we want to give our children.  We came to the US about 4 weeks ago and have now decided to home educate them while we are here and continue to do that when we get back home or put them in a school providing alternative education.

      I am just an ordinary graduate (no postgraduation too) from some obscure institution in Bangalore.  I may not be as qualified as Ashok but I am qualified as a parent to think of education as I want it for my children.  I work as a software consultant for a living, currently in the US.

      Regards

      Satish

      This mailing list is primarily for the use of families who are home educating in India, and those who are considering doing so. However, all those with a deep interest in serious education are welcome to participate. The list's intentions are to facilitate enquiry into fundamental educational questions, to learn together, to share, and to  support those who are home educating.

      To start sending messages to members of the group, simply send emails to:  alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com

      If you do not wish to belong to home_educating_india, you may unsubscribe by sending an email to:

      There are associated web pages at:
      http://alt-ed-india.aardvarkglobal.com

      Here you can if you wish add yourself to the local contact groups data base, which is to enable members of the group to make personal contact with others who live nearby.

      This mailing list is primarily for the use of families who are home educating in India, and those who are considering doing so. However, all those with a deep interest in serious education are welcome to participate. The list's intentions are to facilitate enquiry into fundamental educational questions, to learn together, to share, and to  support those who are home educating.

      To start sending messages to members of the group, simply send emails to:  alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com

      If you do not wish to belong to home_educating_india, you may unsubscribe by sending an email to:

      There are associated web pages at:
      http://alt-ed-india.aardvarkglobal.com

      Here you can if you wish add yourself to the local contact groups data base, which is to enable members of the group to make personal contact with others who live nearby.

    • Hema A. Bharadwaj
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
        hello,
        I'm Hema, currently in Singapore.  I'm a SAHM, Artist, Art teacher and am homeschooling my children.  Although at their age you can barely call it anything that formal.  My ds is 4.5 and dd is 1.5.

        We will be moving to Pune in June of 2008 due to dh's job.  I have been inspired by Kabat Zinns, John Holt, Thich Nhat Hanh, David H Albert, Katrina Kenison, Gatto, Waldorf-Steiner ideas and others. And i'm very much inclined to continue having my children with me at home or wherever we may be... so sort of life-learners with some structure thrown in just for my sanity :-)

        I was born in India but raised in the UAE. I have studied-worked at Mumbai and then studied, worked in New York and New Jersey... where we resided for the past 10 years.  We have just moved to Singapore and although there is a strong homeschooling group there.. i have found that most of them have a strong agenda of structured teaching at home due to the laws governing all singaporeans homeschoolers or otherwise.  We are now planning our move to Pune due to dh's job.  We hope to be settled there for at least 5 years.  So i'm really keen on finding a community of alternative educators/parents pursuing homeschooling etc.

        I'm actually quite nervous about homeschooling my children in India.. as i am spoilt by the resources of the US and Singapore.. in terms of access to books, materials, museums, activities etc... I should really like to know what is the reality of homeschooling in India like.

        Glad to have found this group,
        Hema :-)

        --
        Hema A. Bharadwaj
      • svani
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
          Hema,
          Welcome to the group! I actually do not live in India, but love being part of this list : ) I am sure you will find quite a few homeschoolers here who share your feelings of apprehensions.  I hope you had a chance to check the website for some resources and database for some contacts of homeschoolers, in Pune. Good luck.
          Svani

          On 11/20/07, Hema A. Bharadwaj <hbonda
        • monicakochar
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 21, 2008
            hi there!

            i recd some queries 'are you that monica...who i knew'. so i thought
            i'll give an intro!

            satish, CFL parent, introduced me to this group. he is a good old
            friend!

            i have been working as a math teacher for many years - Sri Aurobindo
            schools - MIS and mirambika; and then KFI The Valley school
            Bangalore. i have been exploring teaching math creatively to
            children of middle and senior schools for all this time, especially
            finding and eradicating the 'anxst' associated with math.

            parents...others...who wish to exchange views, discuss issues on
            math teaching..resources...and other sensitive areas associated with
            teaching learninig, i am eager to start the chain of thoughts,
            observations and discussions.

            i have 2 blogs...started recently so not much material, but handy
            for strategies and thoughts of my kind!
            http://teachingmathcreatively.blogspot.com
            http://reflectionsproseandpoems.blogspot.com

            regards,
            monica kochar
            gurgaon
            india
          • Satish Natarajan
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 21, 2008
              Welcome to the group Monica.  I am sure many here in the group would benefit from the your experience and insights into learning especially maths.

              Love
              Satish

              monicakochar <monicakochar@...> wrote:
[...]

              <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:alt-ed-india-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:alt-ed-india-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • parvathi muthanna
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 22, 2008
                monica, hi
                i checked out your 'creative math teacher blog' and loved it. the article (which is also beautifully written quite apart from the great breakthrough) was heart warming.

                all the best in yur brand of math evangelism...i always believed that math, amng all 'subjects' is closest to 'play' and the dreadful teaching methodology, coupled with bad teachers, kill the joy of math  for kids.

                kavitha

[...]

              • monisha asnani
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 22, 2008

                  dear monica,

                  do you know of some names of good books that teach maths creatively or give pointers to making it a fun exercise or some sites as well. also any info on functional and day to day maths and generally making maths fun and joyful?!

                  thanks and regards

                  monisha

                  On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 parvathi muthanna wrote :

                  >monica, hi
                  >i checked out your 'creative math teacher blog' and loved it. the article (which is also beautifully written quite apart from the great breakthrough) was heart warming.
                  >
                  >all the best in yur brand of math evangelism...i always believed that math, amng all 'subjects' is closest to 'play' and the dreadful teaching methodology, coupled with bad teachers, kill the joy of math  for kids.
                  >
                  >kavitha
                  >
                  >monicakochar <monicakochar@...> wrote:                            hi there!
                  >
                  >  i recd some queries 'are you that monica...who i knew'. so i thought
                  >  i'll give an intro!
                  >
                  >  satish, CFL parent, introduced me to this group. he is a good old
                  >  friend!
                  >
                  >  i have been working as a math teacher for many years - Sri Aurobindo
                  >  schools - MIS and mirambika; and then KFI The Valley school
                  >  Bangalore. i have been exploring teaching math creatively to
                  >  children of middle and senior schools for all this time, especially
                  >  finding and eradicating the 'anxst' associated with math.
                  >
                  >  parents...others...who wish to exchange views, discuss issues on
                  >  math teaching..resources...and other sensitive areas associated with
                  >  teaching learninig, i am eager to start the chain of thoughts,
                  >  observations and discussions.
                  >
                  >  i have 2 blogs...started recently so not much material, but handy
                  >  for strategies and thoughts of my kind!
                  >  http://teachingmathcreatively.blogspot.com
                  >  http://reflectionsproseandpoems.blogspot.com
                  >
                  >  regards,
                  >  monica kochar
                  >  gurgaon
                  >  india
                  >

                  >---------------------------------
                  >Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.  Try it now.

                  IPL
                • monisha asnani
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 22, 2008

                    dear monica,

                    could you share the titles of SMPs and Geometry and Art you spoke about in your blog. it was fun reading about it and i even felt like trying it out for myself!
                    maths was never this enjoyable before. great stuff!

                    regards

                    monisha

                    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 monicakochar wrote :

                    >hi there!
                    >
                    >i recd some queries 'are you that monica...who i knew'. so i thought
                    >i'll give an intro!
                    >
                    >satish, CFL parent, introduced me to this group. he is a good old
                    >friend!
                    >
                    >i have been working as a math teacher for many years - Sri Aurobindo
                    >schools - MIS and mirambika; and then KFI The Valley school
                    >Bangalore. i have been exploring teaching math creatively to
                    >children of middle and senior schools for all this time, especially
                    >finding and eradicating the 'anxst' associated with math.
                    >
                    >parents...others...who wish to exchange views, discuss issues on
                    >math teaching..resources...and other sensitive areas associated with
                    >teaching learninig, i am eager to start the chain of thoughts,
                    >observations and discussions.
                    >
                    >i have 2 blogs...started recently so not much material, but handy
                    >for strategies and thoughts of my kind!
                    >http://teachingmathcreatively.blogspot.com
                    >http://reflectionsproseandpoems.blogspot.com
                    >
                    >regards,
                    >monica kochar
                    >gurgaon
                    >india

                    IPL
                  • MONICA
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 24, 2008
                      thanks...

                      it's like a battle...fighting resistance all the time!

                      monica

                      --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, parvathi muthanna
                      <parvathimuthanna@...> wrote:

                      > monica, hi
                      > i checked out your 'creative math teacher blog' and loved it. the
                      article (which is also beautifully written quite apart from the
                      great breakthrough) was heart warming.

                      > all the best in yur brand of math evangelism...i always believed
                      that math, amng all 'subjects' is closest to 'play' and the dreadful
                      teaching methodology, coupled with bad teachers, kill the joy of
                      math for kids.

                      > kavitha
                      >
                      > monicakochar <monicakochar@...> wrote:
                      hi there!

                      > i recd some queries 'are you that monica...who i knew'. so i
                      thought
                      > i'll give an intro!
                      >
                      > satish, CFL parent, introduced me to this group. he is a good old
                      > friend!
                      >
                      > i have been working as a math teacher for many years - Sri
                      Aurobindo
                      > schools - MIS and mirambika; and then KFI The Valley school
                      > Bangalore. i have been exploring teaching math creatively to
                      > children of middle and senior schools for all this time,
                      especially
                      > finding and eradicating the 'anxst' associated with math.
                      >
                      > parents...others...who wish to exchange views, discuss issues on
                      > math teaching..resources...and other sensitive areas associated
                      with
                      > teaching learninig, i am eager to start the chain of thoughts,
                      > observations and discussions.
                      >
                      > i have 2 blogs...started recently so not much material, but handy
                      > for strategies and thoughts of my kind!
                      > http://teachingmathcreatively.blogspot.com
                      > http://reflectionsproseandpoems.blogspot.com
                      >
                      > regards,
                      > monica kochar
                      > gurgaon
                      > india
                      >

                      > ---------------------------------
                      Mobile. Try it now.

                    • MONICA
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 24, 2008
                        hi!

                        i mainly use REAL MATH, SMP BOOKLETS (available in KFI schools) and
                        IGCSE BOOKS.

                        but i go a lot on the net-
                        coolmath.com
                        surfnetkids.com
                        bbc
                        nctm ; are few

                        and just google! search thru their engine....

                        ideas just keep dropping in otherwise.

                        ciao
                        monica

                        --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, "monisha asnani" <monishaa@...>

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 24, 2008
                          hi!

                          SACRED GEOMETRY BY BRUCE RAWLES- this has some outstanding
                          geometrical drawings. i have also dabbled innthem and then shaded
                          them for art works. children love this activity! available on the
                          net. in fact sacred geometry is a lovely topic to explore. 'the
                          geometric metaphors of life'. 'geometry around us'. there is a book
                          by SCHNEIDER that is my favourite. also available on the net

                          SMP - school math project. they have self study booklets. out of
                          print, but KFI schools have a set.

                          hope this was useful.

                          wrote:

                          > dear monica,
                          >
                          > could you share the titles of SMPs and Geometry and Art you spoke
                          about in your blog. it was fun reading about it and i even felt like
                          trying it out for myself!
                          > maths was never this enjoyable before. great stuff!
                          >
                          > regards
                          >
                          > monisha
                          >

                          > On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 monicakochar wrote :
                          > >hi there!
                          > >
                          > >i recd some queries 'are you that monica...who i knew'. so i
                          thought
                          > >i'll give an intro!
                          > >
                          > >satish, CFL parent, introduced me to this group. he is a good old
                          > >friend!
                          > >
                          > >i have been working as a math teacher for many years - Sri
                          Aurobindo
                          > >schools - MIS and mirambika; and then KFI The Valley school
                          > >Bangalore. i have been exploring teaching math creatively to
                          > >children of middle and senior schools for all this time,
                          especially
                          > >finding and eradicating the 'anxst' associated with math.
                          > >
                          > >parents...others...who wish to exchange views, discuss issues on
                          > >math teaching..resources...and other sensitive areas associated
                          with
                          > >teaching learninig, i am eager to start the chain of thoughts,
                          > >observations and discussions.
                          > >
                          > >i have 2 blogs...started recently so not much material, but handy
                          > >for strategies and thoughts of my kind!
                          > >http://teachingmathcreatively.blogspot.com
                          > >http://reflectionsproseandpoems.blogspot.com
                          > >
                          > >regards,
                          > >monica kochar
                          > >gurgaon
                          > >india

                        • monisha asnani
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 26, 2008

                            thanks monica,

                            i'll be exploring these.

                            monisha

                            On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 MONICA wrote :

> [...]
                            >especially
                            > > >  finding and eradicating the 'anxst' associated with math.
                            > > >
                            > > >  parents...others...who wish to exchange views, discuss issues on
                            > > >  math teaching..resources...and other sensitive areas associated
                            >with
                            > > >  teaching learninig, i am eager to start the chain of thoughts,
                            > > >  observations and discussions.
                            > > >
                            > > >  i have 2 blogs...started recently so not much material, but
                            >handy
                            > > >  for strategies and thoughts of my kind!
                            > > >  http://teachingmathcreatively.blogspot.com
                            > > >  http://reflectionsproseandpoems.blogspot.com
                            > > >
                            > > >  regards,
                            > > >  monica kochar
                            > > >  gurgaon
                            > > >  india
                            > > >

                            > > >---------------------------------
                            > > >Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo!

                          • MONICA
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 26, 2008
                              SMP booklets are out of print. i also have a part of it that i
                              xeroxed from KFI.
                              but if you go to cambridge univ press site, there is a lot of
                              material.--- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, "monisha asnani"
                              <monishaa@...> wrote:

                              > thanks monica,
                              >
                              > i'll be exploring these.
                              >
                              > monisha
                              >

                              > On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 MONICA wrote :
                              > >hi!
                              > >
                              > >i mainly use REAL MATH, SMP BOOKLETS (available in KFI schools)
                              and
                              > >IGCSE BOOKS.
                              > >
                              > >but i go a lot on the net-
                              > >coolmath.com
                              > >surfnetkids.com
                              > >bbc
                              > >nctm ; are few
                              > >
                              > >and just google! search thru their engine....
                              > >
                              > >ideas just keep dropping in otherwise.
                              > >
                              > >ciao
                              > >monica
                              > >
                              > >--- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, "monisha asnani" <monishaa@>
                              > >wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > dear monica,
                              > > >
                              > > > do you know of some names of good books that teach maths
                              > >creatively or give pointers to making it a fun exercise or some
                              > >sites as well. also any info on functional and day to day maths
                              and
                              > >generally making maths fun and joyful?!
                              > > >
                              > > > thanks and regards
                              > > >
                              > > > monisha

                              the
                              > >article (which is also beautifully written quite apart from the
                              > >great breakthrough) was heart warming.

                              > >that math, amng all 'subjects' is closest to 'play' and the
                              dreadful
                              > >teaching methodology, coupled with bad teachers, kill the joy of
                              > >math for kids.

                              > >wrote: hi there!

                              > >thought

                              > >old

                              > >Aurobindo
                              > >especially

                              > >with

                              > >handy

                              > >Mobile. Try it now.

                            • Meena Iyer
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 3, 2008
                                Hello Monica,

                                Thanks for all the information you have been sharing with us.

                                Is this the book you mentioned in your email?

                                Sacred Geometry Design Sourcebook: Universal Dimensional Patterns (Spiral-bound)
                                by Bruce Rawles (Illustrator), Nancy Bolton-Rawles (Illustrator)

                                It costs $85.60.

                                Also, you mentioned some other book by author called SCHNEIDER. Could you pls. share with us the title of the book?

                                thanks

                                meena

                                wrote:

                                > dear monica,
                                >
                                > could you share the titles of SMPs and Geometry and Art you spoke
                                about in your blog. it was fun reading about it and i even felt like
                                trying it out for myself!
                                > maths was never this enjoyable before. great stuff!
                                >
                                > regards
                                >
                                > monisha
                                >

                                > On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 monicakochar wrote :
                                > >hi there!
                                > >
                                > >i recd some queries 'are you that monica...who i knew'. so i
                                thought
                                > >i'll give an intro!
                                > >
                                > >satish, CFL parent, introduced me to this group. he is a good old
                                > >friend!
                                > >
                                > >i have been working as a math teacher for many years - Sri
                                Aurobindo
                                > >schools - MIS and mirambika; and then KFI The Valley school
                                > >Bangalore. i have been exploring teaching math creatively to
                                > >children of middle and senior schools for all this time,
                                especially
                                > >finding and eradicating the 'anxst' associated with math.
                                > >
                                > >parents...others. ..who wish to exchange views, discuss issues on
                                > >math teaching..resources ...and other sensitive areas associated
                                with
                                > >teaching learninig, i am eager to start the chain of thoughts,
                                > >observations and discussions.
                                > >
                                > >i have 2 blogs...started recently so not much material, but handy
                                > >for strategies and thoughts of my kind!
                                > >http://teachingmath creatively. blogspot. com
                                > >http://reflectionsp roseandpoems. blogspot. com
                                > >
                                > >regards,
                                > >monica kochar
                                > >gurgaon
                                > >india

                              • nerudafan3
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 4, 2008
                                  hi!

                                  yes this is the book.

                                  schneider: "a beginners guide to constructing the universe"

                                  monica

                                  --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, Meena Iyer <meenaiyerji@...>
                                  wrote:

> [...]
                                  old
                                  > > >friend!
                                  > > >
                                  > > >i have been working as a math teacher for many years - Sri
                                  > Aurobindo
                                  > > >schools - MIS and mirambika; and then KFI The Valley school
                                  > > >Bangalore. i have been exploring teaching math creatively to
                                  > > >children of middle and senior schools for all this time,
                                  > especially
                                  > > >finding and eradicating the 'anxst' associated with math.
                                  > > >
                                  > > >parents...others...who wish to exchange views, discuss issues
                                  on
                                  > > >math teaching..resources...and other sensitive areas
                                  associated
                                  > with
                                  > > >teaching learninig, i am eager to start the chain of thoughts,
                                  > > >observations and discussions.
                                  > > >
                                  > > >i have 2 blogs...started recently so not much material, but

                                  Mobile. Try it now.