Home Education in India - Practical Issues

  • Prashanth Visweswaran
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2003

      Dear All,

       I thought it might be to the benefit of this group and myself, if we could address some core issues pertaining to home educating kids in India.

      Background

      We have been home educating our kids in the US (I am sure there are others in this group who do too). We are relocating to India this summer ( I am sure there are many who want to too). My kids enjoy home schooling very much and my son actually did clarify this from me, if he was going to be continuing home education in India. We (wife and I) did confirm to him that he could continue to get home educated once we are in India.

       Some issues I seek answers to:

       1. Could members in this group who are pursuing home education in India. (Home education being, the kids do not attend formal 8.00 am to 3.00 pm schools.)  please share how your kids feel about not attending formal school.

       2. How are the home educated kids in India, able to cope with peer issues´┐Ż..from neighbors, relatives, friends etc. In other words do they feel isolated? I am asking this because home education in my perception is still not popular in India as it is some other countries, where they could find fellow home educated kids.

      1. Are there statutory requirements for kids to go to school in India?

       4. Do national testing agencies like ICSE, SSLC, CBSE etc recognize home schoolers? In other words could home educated kids attend these national examinations? I know SSLC has private candidates. Any other input?

       5. How do alternative education schools in India differ from other conventional schools? Can anyone share experiences / examples please?

      1. What in your opinions could be the ONE biggest hurdle to home education in India?

      Please excuse me, if these questions, seems a little too practical and survey type. We are keen on knowing experiences, to be able to better equip ourselves (mentally), when we embark on home education for our kids in India. At the same time if there are others who are seeking the answers for similar questions please do share your views.

       I may not be able to reply between March 3 till March 8, I am vacationing with wife and kids in Florida. Hey ! one of the biggest benefits of home schooling. Vacations anytime anywhere.

       KRGDS

      Prashanth

      Do you Yahoo!?