Rt to Edn Act & Alternate schools - a possible counter move

  • Nyla Coelho
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2010
      Hi, I just saw  a forward post on the alt-ed -group of Ramdas's letter.
      My response to it is copied below.Just thought a few on this group would find the information useful.

      Nyla

      see the mail below:

      Dear All,

      a national accreditaion board has been set up in 2008 for schools by the quality council of India (http://www.qcin.org/nabet/index.php) on the similar lines of NAAC set up by UGC for colleges.

      Just about 10 schools have gone through this process so far and 50 are being processed. The closest to us are one each in Mumbai (K V school at IIT, Powai) and Chennai (T.I. Matriculation Higher Secondary School), the rest are in Delhi,Lucknow. By the look of it, they seem to be  big budget mainstream schools, however, that should not concern us too much.

      I think all of the network schools will come out with flying colours as the criteria seem quite down to earth and pro learning more than anything else.

      Maybe worthwhile trying to learn about it a bit more, especially in the context of the new edu-bill and the stew it is hoping to get us all into.

      Here is  a news item regarding the same:
      (http://www.winentrance.com/news/Improving-School-Education-through-Accreditation.html)

      Wising all a colourful and safe holi.

      Nyla
    • Surekha Sridhar
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2010

        National Accreditation Board for Education and Training (NABET) is the country’s first initiative to certify and rate educational institutions. Rating is done on the basis of standards developed by the Quality Council of India, its parent organization.

        Quality Council of India is a non-profit, autonomous body set up jointly by the Government Indian Industry, to establish and operate national accreditation structure and to promote quality through nation- wide quality campaign.

        NABET accredits primary, secondary and higher secondary schools.

        One of the first schools to get a certification from NABET is Kendriya Vidyalaya at R.K. Puram, Delhi. NABET has around 40-50 schools in the pipeline for rating.

        For government schools, NABET has a program of preparing a program to get them to a minimum standard.

        NABET is a pioneer in this field and we will see a lot more school rating agencies in future. Hopefully, this entire process of rating is executed properly and parents get objective information on the quality of a school.