Teaching a child the basics of Arithmetic.

  • Malcolm Printer
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 10, 2010
      Dear friends,

      My 8 year old daughter is experiencing difficulties in learning multiplication, addition and subtraction. Can you advise me about creative methods to support her in learning these concepts well? Thank you!

      With love,

      Malcolm R. Printer

    • Chitra R
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 10, 2010
        Dear Mr.Malcom

        this link was posted earlier by a member. it is wonderful.
        http://donpotter.net
        please open the maths link. The books are very very simple, interesting and the exercises given are so much alike the real world.

        (AND A BIG THANK YOU FOR THE MEMBER WHO HAD POSTED THE ABOVE WEBSITE. Am sorry don't remember who it was.)

        I hope you are not anxious about her learning mathematics. Please go slow. There might be some inner difficulty in the child, which might get aggravated if you panic.
        Play maths, don't try to teach. My elder daughter is 9yrs now, and it is only a few days ago that i realized this!

        Warm regards
        Chitra

        My 8 year old daughter is experiencing difficulties in learning multiplication, addition and subtraction. Can you advise me about creative methods to support her in learning these concepts well? Thank you!

        With love,

        Malcolm R. Printer

      • Bhuvana Venkat
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 10, 2010
          check out
          www.makingmathmorefun.com
          Teresa Evans has a set of books making basic arithmetic fun.
          However well your child understands the concept of multiplication learning the tables is inevitable. To this end, http://www.bigbrainz.com/Download.html is a fun game.

          Check out http://www.homeschoolmath.net/online/addition_subtraction.php which is also an excellent source of math resources.
          regards
          bhuvana

          To: alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 11, 2010
            Dear Malcolm,
            The best help you can ever get would be from Jodogyan.Its a non profit organisation situated in Delhi which runs a school for the slum children from the funds obtained from mathematical toys and conducting Maths workshops for teachers in schools all over the country.Its main objective is to make maths learning interesting and full of fun for each and every child.Please log in to www.jodogyan.org for further information.
            Regards,
            Lakshmi
          • krish_shesh
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 12, 2010
              Dear Malcolm,

              You could try the Trachtenberg system of basic math. It is simple, powerful and great fun. For an introductory article see

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trachtenberg_system

              There is also an Indian edition of the book "The Trachtenberg Speed System of Basic Mathematics" by Ann Cutler and Rudolph McShane published by Rupa and Co; this a translation and adaptation of Trachtenberg's original book of 1960. Highly recommended, since I found that using it made a difference to my 9-year old son's attitude toward math.

              Hope this helps, Sheshadri.

              --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Printer <malcolmrprinter@...> wrote:

              > Dear friends,
              >
              > My 8 year old daughter is experiencing difficulties in learning multiplication, addition and subtraction. Can you advise me about creative methods to support her in learning these concepts well? Thank you!
              >
              > With love,
              >
              > Malcolm R. Printer

            • Lalita
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 12, 2010
                Hi all,

                I happen to be a 'weird person' (according my daughter) who was not daunted by Maths, even as a child. I also have an older sister, who always failed in maths during school days; but finds herself very comfortable with math calculations as an adult! I leave you to draw your own conclusions on how this could be possible!

                My personal opinion is that alternative methods as Vedic mathematics or this Trachtenberg system etc would be fun for those who can cross-check the fundas and see why they work in the first place and then apply them as short-cut methods, as informed individuals.

                Why confuse a child who is already grappling with the basic stuff by introducing random methodologies which would involve rote learning to a certain extent; while gaining no real insight into how we are arriving at the answer? Would it not be better to let them use the straight-forward methods only; in a fun way?

                Also, it is very important for the child to be NOT consider his/herself to be somehow inferior/worthless for the inability to get maths easily. We all know it ultimately boils down to which side of a person's brain is dominant in its use.

                Warm Regards,
                Lalita

              • Venugopal Maddukuri

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 13, 2010
                    Oops.... Lalita

                    Venugopal Maddukuri
                    +91 9880 063 252

                  • deeps@britindia.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 16, 2010
                      Appreciate the references provided by various members.
                      But I would, in addition, look forward to methods tried with our children -
                      so we know some newer ones.

                      Please share, freely, whatever you are doing at home.

                      Cheers, Deepa
                      Those who wish to sing always find a song !!!
                      visit www.britannia.co.in

                      Bhuvana Venkat
                      <bhuva78@hotmail.
                      com> To
                      Sent by: <alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com>
                      alt-ed-india@yaho cc
                      ogroups.com
                      Subject
                      RE: [alt-ed-india] Teaching a child
                      11-02-10 10:53 AM the basics of Arithmetic.

                      Please respond to
                      alt-ed-india@yaho
                      ogroups.com

                      To: alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com
                      From: malcolmrprinter@...
                      Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 04:45:28 -0800

                      Dear friends,

                      My 8 year old daughter is experiencing difficulties in learning multiplication, addition and subtraction. Can you
                      advise me about creative methods to support her in learning these concepts well? Thank you!

                      With love,

                      Malcolm R. Printer

                      Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft’s powerful SPAM protection. Sign up
                      now.

                      Please note that we now have a common board number for our offices in Bangalore, Chennai, Mumbai, Delhi and Kolkata. The new common Board number is 39400080

                      Disclaimer :
                      This email and any documents transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and delete this mail immediately. Any unauthorized use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited. Britannia Industries Ltd. (including its group companies) shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your system. Britannia Industries Ltd does not accept any responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this e-mail or attachments and it is recommend that you carry out a virus check prior to use.The information, opinions and conclusions contained in this email-are of the sender and not necessarily of Britannia Industries Ltd.