Re: THE RIGHT OF CHILDREN TO FREE AND COMPULSORY EDUCATION ACT, 2009

  • sriram
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 9, 2009

      Dear Aditi and Ratnesh,

      You can refer to the entire bill from the Education for all in India website I had sent in my earlier mail.

      Page 2 of the Act defines a school as:

      "School" means any recognised school imparting elementary education and includes—

      (i) a school established, owned or controlled by the appropriate Government or a local authority;

      (ii) an aided school receiving aid or grants to meet whole or part of its expenses from the appropriate Government or the local authority;

      (iii) a school belonging to specified category; and

      (iv) an unaided school not receiving any kind of aid or grants to meet its expenses from the appropriate Government or the local authority;
      Unquote

      Your school will not fall into the 4 above mentioned categories and hence is likely to be exempt from the Act. But it will be useful to clarify from a legal expert.

      But I would encourage you to look at some of the provisions in the Act which are worth implementing (for eg., the School Management Committee).

      Regards,

      Sriram

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 12, 2009
        This seems relevant to the discussion:

        "Sirs, there should be a class of people who are apart from government, who do not belong to society, who are outside it, so that they can act as guides. They are the chastisers, they are the prophets who can tell you how wrong you are. But there is no such group because the government in the modern world will not support such a group, a group that has no authority, a group that does not belong to the government, a group that does not belong to any religion, caste, or country. it is only such a group that can act as a restraint on governments. Because, governments are becoming more and more powerful, employing a majority of human beings; therefore, more and more citizens are incapable of thinking for themselves. They are being regimented and told what to do. So, it is only when there is such a group, a vital, intelligent, active group - only then is there hope and salvation. Otherwise, each one of us is going to become an employee of the government, and more and more the government will tell us what to do and what to think - not how to think. Obviously, such a government with its nationalism, its pride, envy, and hatred, leading inevitably to war, must have a military machine, so in every school there must be the worship of the flag. If you are proud of your nationalism, of your economic frontiers, of your sovereign government, of your preparedness for war, you must have a government interfering with education, inferring with your lives, regimenting you, controlling your actions. That is exactly what you want. If not, you will break away intelligently from it, free yourself from nationalism, from greed, from envy, from the power that authority gives; and then, being intelligent, you will be able to look at the world situation and contribute to the establishment of a new education and a new culture."

        J Krishnamurti 1948