Article in Seminar Magazine- Can knowledge be questioned?

  • Meeta Arora
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 24, 2009
    Dear All

    Sharing with you, comment published in Seminar magazine June,2009. Please have a look at the enclosed document. The article raises a question about whether knowledge can be questioned in our society? You can post comments on the same on my blog as well: www.myeduexperiences.blogspot.com

    Regards
    Meeta Mohanty

    Cricket on your mind? Visit the ultimate cricket website. Enter now!
  • Lalita
    Message 2 of 3 , Jun 24, 2009
      Dear Meetaji,
      I really appreciate the clarity with which you have looked at all those aspects of education which make schools work like factories that seem focused on turning out almost uniform products.

      But I have an unanswered question with regard to the alternative means a society can use/develop to verify the knowledge of a person and his slot in the bigger order of things. Of course, I am aware that most of them (like the Civil Services Exam) are used to just sieve people out, like so many unwanted pebbles. But the numbers do preclude the possibility of individual assessment. I keep wondering if this would be THE logical explanation for having necessary evils of school and exam around us? Would love to hear more on this.

      Also, I wanted to add the link to the amazing and award-winning video 'Do flowers fly?' of my ex-colleague Prosenjit Ganguly.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhFueNOJyCU

      His creativity is to be seen to be believed, and I really wonder at times about what he must have suffered at the hands of his 'teachers'!
      Lalita
      (posted this on your blog too - but copied here hoping for an Alt-ed discussion on this :-)
      2009/6/24 Meeta Arora <marora_83@...>
      [Attachment(s) from Meeta Arora included below]

      Dear All

      Sharing with you, comment published in Seminar magazine June,2009. Please have a look at the enclosed document. The article raises a question about whether knowledge can be questioned in our society? You can post comments on the same on my blog as well: www.myeduexperiences.blogspot.com

      Regards
      Meeta Mohanty

      Cricket on your mind? Visit the ultimate cricket website. Enter now!

    • sonal karandikar
      Message 3 of 3 , Jun 24, 2009
        hi lalita

        loved the video made on schooling.
        its a very sensitively made one. the scare really reached deep inside after watching it !!

        Silence is more musical than any song...Learn to get in touch with it within yourself and know that everything in this life has a purpose !!!

        love
        sonal m m