unschooling

  • Mili Rao
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2009
      Hi Folks,

      Found this interesting book review on the net. Thought you all might be interested.

      *Fitzenreiter, Valerie, The Unprocessed Child: Living without School
      The Unprocessed Child is a work of nonfiction about a child raised with no coercion and no curriculum. Laurie Chancey spent her childhood immersing herself in topics of her own choosing. She was never forced to learn something simply because tradition and/or society said it was necessary. No one was looking over her shoulder to make sure she was learning the "proper" subjects.

      Having never seen a textbook or taken a test, never used workbooks or any type of teaching techniques, Laurie scored in the top 10% of the state of Louisiana on her college entrance exam. She enrolled in college when she was eighteen, and graduated summa cum laude three and a half years later. Laurie is a bright adult, but her IQ is not why she did so well. She spent her life learning to learn and it's something that now comes easily to her.

      The Unprocessed Child was written by her mother and is full of examples of raising a child with respect and dignity. It is the first book written about a radically unschooled child who has now reached adulthood and is a responsible member of society.
      Questions about the radical unschooling lifestyle are answered on topics ranging from socialization, parental responsibility, self-discipline, chores, bedtimes and much more. The book shows that it is not only possible to befriend your child, but that it is highly preferable to the struggles that so many parents go through with their children. It proves that school is not necessary for learning, socializing or motivation.
    • Hema A. Bharadwaj
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2009
        There are several other books too on the topic of unschooling.  John Holt's books, Sandra Dodd's book "moving a puddle" and Parenting a Free Child an Unschooled Life by Rue Kream

        We are an unschooling family of the radical variety.  We live in Pune.  Living life along these principles rocks.  Anyone interested can check out Sandra Dodd's excellent website  www.sandradodd.com

        I'm recording our family's journey ont his radical and amazing path here... http://thebharadwajknights.blogspot.com
        .  I ahve several links and book suggestions etc listed there.

        Cheers, Hema

        --
        Hema A. Bharadwaj
        http://thebharadwajknights.blogspot.com/
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2009
          hema, am getting my three kids out of school this year. They are in 4th, and seventh std. presently. I live in sangli and am not as radical. Mostly due to lack of time [ am a working mother]. Would love to talk to you. Can u send me a number where i can do so? will come and meet you too.

          In Solidarity, meena saraswathi seshu.

          There are several other books too on the topic of unschooling.  John Holt's books, Sandra Dodd's book "moving a puddle" and Parenting a Free Child an Unschooled Life by Rue Kream

          We are an unschooling family of the radical variety.  We live in Pune.  Living life along these principles rocks.  Anyone interested can check out Sandra Dodd's excellent website  www.sandradodd.com

          I'm recording our family's journey ont his radical and amazing path here... http://thebharadwajknights.blogspot.com
          .  I ahve several links and book suggestions etc listed there.

          Cheers, Hema

          --
          Hema A. Bharadwaj
          http://thebharadwajknights.blogspot.com/

          Share files, take polls, and make new friends - all under one roof. Click here.