Re: [alt-ed-india] Curriculum Advice

  • N. Ramjee
    Message 1 of 13 , May 17, 2004
      Don't aim to be an earthly saint, with eyes fixed on a star, Just try to be the fellow that your Mother thinks you are.
      Dear Clive,

      Thank you for sharing your reactions. I suggest you and everyone else in the group read the book, "How Children Learn" by John Holt. In that John has compared the conventional way in which children are taught and how it could have been (or should be?) done! In fact the first section of the book is about how games help children learn.
      If everyone of us state the objective of teaching, and sit to ponder a few minutes how to help children LEARN on their own, many of these issues would never arise.
      Look forward to hearing from more people.
      Regards,

      N. Ramjee
      Programme Officer
      Centre for Environment Education
      Thaltej Tekra
      Ahmedabad
      Gujarat - 380 054
      India
      Telephone: 91+79+26858002 to 09
      Fax: 91+79+26858010
      Message 2 of 13 , May 18, 2004
        All that we can teach a child is something necessary
        to live in a society. It can help a child to
        communicate with others and express itself to others.
        That learning can happen slowly.

        Satish

        http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/
        Message 3 of 13 , May 18, 2004
          Dear Ramjee,

          Did John Holt suggest that reading and writing be taught to 3 year olds?

          Message 4 of 13 , May 19, 2004
            Dear Clive,

            I don't think he did.

            In any case, my personal experience has demonstrated (maybe in a limited way, since I am not representative of a population) that reading and writing skills are best cultivated later on.  My child did not know the alphabet properly, what to speak of reading, when he was seven.  He showed a willingness to learn reading at that age, and after that he made steady and sure progress.  Perhaps I pushed him a wee bit at that point, and if I were to do it again I would wait even longer.  For what it is worth, he is able to read some classics like Little Men on his own now (he is 8 and a half).  And he LOVES to read.

            I am glad I waited and would wait longer if I had to.

            -Neela.

            Clive Elwell <cliveelwell@...> wrote:
[...]

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • prerna valimbe
            Message 5 of 13 , May 19, 2004
              Dear friends,

              I totally agree with Neela that children do not need to be taught reading and writing at 3 years. The reasons are many.
              1. They are physically not mature. ( the fine motor muscles needed for writing have not been developed) Children who start writing at this age either have a wrong grip as they adjust to the grip which least stresses their muscles. Thses children are saturated by the time they are in 5th or 6th grade and do not like writing.
              2. They are cognitively unprepared for reading and writing as writing starts from alphabets which by themseleves does not have any meaning.
              3. The formative years should be used for developing the senses , developing fine motor and gross motor skills which shall be needed by the children for skills necessary in later life.
              4. The children when they are ready ask for writing themseleves when the maturity level arrives, my child now nine was never asked for a a pencil till she was 5 after which she started writng , has a very good writing and loves writing.
              5. A lot of pre-writing and prereading activities should be given to the children. like sightreading, prewriting skills to develop eye hand coordination, and muscles while woring on a particular projects.
               We at Grammangal have develped a curriculum which takes care of these concepts. We are now starting a home schooling program for our own children Which we call " Learning Homes "  for children in the age group of 5 to 9 are there.

              Do visit our website www.grammangal.org

              Regards
               Prerna

              Message 6 of 13 , May 19, 2004
                Neela wrote:

                "And he LOVES to read".

                This is the point isn't it? It may be possible to force or coax or reward/punish a child into any activity in a way, but what is the end result? All too often a distaste for learning, resistance, boredom, or even depression.

                And who is to say at what age a child "should be" reading and writing? What basis is there for the "experts" to claim at 4, 5, 6, 7 years old or whatever?